Answered

PLAYBAR Crackling/Buzzing

• 16 November 2017
  • 13 replies

About 2 months ago, my PLAYBAR started periodically making a strange buzzing noise on TV input. TV model is Vizio E70-E3, connected via optical. The buzzing stops when muting/unmuting sound, only to return after continued use. The frequency of this buzzing has steadily increased over the course of two months. Video of sound attached. Buzzing sound starts at 0:03.

The type of sound seems to me like a hardware, and not a network/interference problem. I've had the PLAYBAR for about a year now with no issues up until 2 months ago. Two surrounds are connected to the PLAYBAR. No sub is used. A BOOST sits in the same room as the PLAYBAR.

Diagnostic number: 8089561

No 5000+ phyerr events are shown when the sound occurs. Network matrix is showing OFDM ANI level 9 for one of the surround speakers attached to the PLAYBAR, which I believe is due to a new Wemo plug installed in the past 2 weeks. However, the buzzing sound on the PLAYBAR occurred before the addition of the Wemo plug and the increase in OFDM levels. The OFDM levels for the PLAYBAR itself show 0 when the buzzing occurs. Therefore, I don't believe this is due to wireless interference.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 22 November 2017, 00:44

I'd recommend either calling them, or hitting their twitter. You can find the info about this at https://www.sonos.com/contact
I concur. It's sounding like a problem with that unit, which we'd be able to help with on the phones best.

Also, really great troubleshooting and analysis. Generally speaking, wireless noise shouldn't cause what you're describing. A buzz is more likely to be caused by a power related issue.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Can anyone from Sonos please assist?
I'd recommend either calling them, or hitting their twitter. You can find the info about this at https://www.sonos.com/contact
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I concur. It's sounding like a problem with that unit, which we'd be able to help with on the phones best.

Also, really great troubleshooting and analysis. Generally speaking, wireless noise shouldn't cause what you're describing. A buzz is more likely to be caused by a power related issue.
I started seeing similar issue in my recently bought Playbar (3 months back) playbar. It started making Crackling/Buzzing sound.
I'd give them a call ASAP. https://www.sonos.com/contact
I have the same issue. My left surround cuts out at about the same time with a pulse frequency. Mute/Unmute works as does pausing/unpausing TV.
I'll suggest two things, First, check to be sure your TV has the latest software/firmware update, and second, submit a system diagnostic, and post the number here, for the folks at Sonos to look at. Or call them at the link I posted above.
Thanks Bruce. I shall do that tonight when I get home.
No promises, mind you. Some people have had success with the firmware option, others haven't. But at least it's a start, and removes at least one possibility. Contacting Sonos directly gives them an opportunity to do more direct troubleshooting, which is hard to do in an asynchronous forum fashion.
I have exactly the same issue - was there any resolution? I submitted diagnostic 8394658
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, kmbr. Thanks for notifying us. As you can see, the resounding advice is to give us a call- I'd do just that.
Same problem here. Only happens with sound coming across optical from my TV with prolonged use (like usually middle of a movie), stops briefly with mute/unmute, then quickly returns. Tried changing optical cable, no dice. Will give a call, but would be nice to know if others have found a fix by calling Sonos.
Userlevel 1
Badge +5
I have the same problem.
More common with audio from PS4 PRO. Yesterday, for the first time, same problem coming seeing Netflix from TV, so it is a playbar problem.