Question

Playbar connection without optical cable

• 14 September 2016
  • 28 replies

Badge +3
My oldie but goodie Panasonic tv has no optical plug, is it possible to get surround sound using the plug in my sky box or would buying a converter be the way forward?? If a converter is best, any recommendations please. ps tv has HDMI outputs also

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

28 replies

Run an optical cable from your Sky box to the PLAYBAR. You may need to adjust the audio delay to achieve lip-sync with the TV picture, either using PLAYBAR's own settings or the Sky box (if it has such an option).

Obviously this will only provide audio for Sky content. If you have to take audio from the TV itself for non-Sky material there are other possibilities.
Badge +3
thanks Ratty, so I don't need a converter box. such as this https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61dOnnJeViL._SX522_.jpg
What do you want to play? If it's just Sky then, no, you don't need an A-D converter assuming your Sky box has an optical output. Go optical directly to the PLAYBAR. That way you'll stay digital all the way and also benefit from Dolby 5.1 content when it's available.
Badge +3
I think it is mainly for movies, I plan to use the playbar as surround sound, with 2 play 1's and a sub when using TV, BUT also as a speaker system with an additional 2 play 5's in the same room....could be a little over kill, but the rest of the house also has sonos
Badge +3
I think it is mainly for movies, I plan to use the playbar as surround sound, with 2 play 1's and a sub when using TV, BUT also as a speaker system with an additional 2 play 5's in the same room....could be a little over kill, but the rest of the house also has a sonos setup.
Sure, play music as well of course. My question was what sources you plan to play on the TV. Assuming it's just Sky then see my last post.

By the way, if you plan to use a pair of PLAY:5s as well -- grouped with the PLAYBAR -- they'll be in perfect sync for music, but not for TV.
Badge +3
I will play mainly through the sky box, but, I do also have a "firestick" and as this can only be connected with HDMI lead I assume this won't be compatible.
Badge +3
As to the second part of your reply, I did read somewhere that Play5 Gen 1 would not work with the playbar, don't quite understand why Sonos would produce a speaker that is not compatible with the playbar. I understand Gen 2 is comparable! but I only have one of those currently!
Well there are ways of dealing with that but it starts getting more complicated. Since the TV lacks a digital output you would need an HDMI audio extractor. This would strip the audio from the HDMI and output it as optical (or coax).

Option 1:
Plug the Amazon Fire Stick into an HDMI audio extractor/de-embedder (with the HDMI output going on to the TV).
Get an optical switch and use that to flip between the optical from the Sky box and the optical from the Fire Stick's HDMI extractor (with output to the PLAYBAR).

Option 2:
Leave Sky and Amazon Fire Stick plugged into the TV.
Insert an HDMI audio extractor/de-embedder into an HDMI output from the TV.
However this approach is entirely dependent on what the TV outputs on its HDMI. It may not work.
As to the second part of your reply, I did read somewhere that Play5 Gen 1 would not work with the playbar
That's only relevant for bonding as PLAYBAR surrounds. PLAY:5 Gen1 lacked the necessary 5GHz radio.

For grouping, all Sonos players are compatible with one another.
Badge +3
You're right, is complex What is an HDMI audio extractor when it's at home and where do I get one? and at the same time what's an optical switch and where do I get one?
Moreover is it worth it?
As to what the TV puts out on its HDMI I will have more chance attempting open heart surgery !!
Badge +3
Damn! just thought I also want to run my DVD player through it, so that's going to be problematic also! is there a super conver that does all the above in one!.?
I said it would start to get more complicated.

Given that you have 3 sources there is another option which I should have mentioned. You could use an HDMI switch with built in audio extractor, such as this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DZIXIMQ
All your devices (Sky, Fire Stick, DVD) would plug into it. Its HDMI output would go to the TV, and its optical output to the PLAYBAR.

Buy from Amazon and if it doesn't work you may be able to return it.
Badge +3
That looks like a plan!! I will order it now, but the soundbar won't be played with until early October as this is a birthday gift!! so won't know if it is a success or not!!
Do you think the soundbar Gen 2 will be coming out anytime soon!?
Do you think the soundbar Gen 2 will be coming out anytime soon!?
What PLAYBAR Gen2? There's been completely uninformed speculation in one or two places. Ignore it. Sonos don't publicise their product plans especially of hardware, and if anyone knew anything substantive they'd be legally prohibited from talking about it.
Badge +3
yep! there is a lot of chatter about it,I think more of a wish than a prophecy, sorry didn't want to upset you, it was just a question.
Badge +3
Well thank you for your time with me on this issue, I will post in October when I have set it all up and let you know if it works for future questions.
Badge +3
Ratty are you out there today, I think I need your help again,
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
whats up ? did you get the HDMI switchbox with optical output ? you should be able to use this independent of the playbar - just use the TV for audio in the meantime and the switch to switch between inputs (sky, firestick, dvd)
Badge +3
Hi, ya bought it, set it up with Sky box, Sony PS,firestick, all sent to TV HDMI port and 24 hours later, nothing worked and HDM port now doesn't work at all. Have you ever heard of this happening?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
any lights on the unit ? check power else it sounds like a dud.
Badge +3
The unit had no lights, tested it later again, after got Amazon to agree a replacement, and the lights came on, but the HDMI port now doesn't work at all, I have another unit on the way, but, If I do the same thing again I am worried I will lose the other HDMI port!!

This is very odd, what do you think, is there any chance of this happening twice ??
Badge +3
The new one has just arrived, but I am not sure what to do!! and you have gone quiet!
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
you should wire it up same as the old one. put the old one back in the box and send it to amazon. see if the new one works !

should be pretty simple to connect the switchbox - 3 hdmi connections on the inputs (sky, dvd and firestick) and one output to TV. Connect power supply. Set TV to use the HDMI connection. Select correct source using the supplied remote for the switchbox.

Its not clear if you have your playbar or not yet. if you do, take the optical from the hdmi switchbox to the playbar and set the TV volume to mute.
Badge +3
it's here, with a sub and another 2 play ones, but can't get my hands on it til early October!! so still in limbo!! if it doesn't work I will just have to buy a new TV with an optical Plug!!