Playbar audio drops out

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

179 replies

My specific scenario is as follows:

Charter Cable Box (HDMI) -> Xbox One (HDMI) -> LG 60" TV -> Optical Audio Out -> Playbar

I am going to get the specific TV model when I get home and look at the configuration settings of all devices along the path and look at the SONOS app for the audio being received.

I have read that PCM is a better quality format. I would assume I would want to use this if possible.

Right now, I have audio going through the TV because my family was frustrated by the audio drops.
Userlevel 1
I am new owner of flashy new TV and Sonos; 2 x play 1s, playbar and sub.

I been having problem with DD 5.1 drop outs too but then no problems with DD2.0 format or similar. I was in the middle split whether it is sonos fault or my new LG 55UB850.

I tested sonos system with ps3; rather than let sound pass through the TV which can output 5.1 via optical (tested), i connected ps3 sound to the sonos direct using same optical cable and only had ps3 hdmi video signal on the TV. Guess what? I had no issues playing DD 5.1 content direct to sonos. 

Despite above, i still gone through helpful sonos 1st line support, submitted diagnostics log and then it got escalated to 2nd line. Here is what their engineer told me:

".....I'm one of the Senior tech engineers here at Sonos and my colleague has asked me to have a look at your incident. The rootcause of the issue you're experiencing is that the signal that the Playbar receives is not 100% compliant with the specifications set by the Dolby (tm) group. The Playbar expects to receive a fully standard Dolby (tm) signal (which it is not receiving) and therefore drops audio frames during playback resulting into audio dropouts. Internally we are looking into this issue as this can most likely be resolved by adding code to the decoding mechanism on the Playbar itself to support a non standard Dolby (tm) signal. Unfortunately I can't provide you with a timeframe on when this exactly will be implemented but when I have more news about this topic I'll make sure to provide you with more information."

The problem is not with Sonos, it is with manufacturers taking shortcuts in hardware development to probably save on processing power to output proper DD 5.1. Sonos is playing by the rules by abiding to the standards when it comes to DD signal and TVs are not.

I also had a chat with retail manager where i purchased TV from, he also greed with me on this and said that he is sceptical if he can find me alternative model/make that can handle DD 5.1 properly.

Lastly you have to consider a lot of TVs will have sound out set to PCM by default and TVs typically only handle this in 2 channels only which means that Sonos will receive a stereo sound that it will emulate as 5.1. This practise is common and provides no drop outs (i tested it) and most people wont realise that.

Stop ranting and take steps to logically solve the problem or at least identify what is causing it 

Yes, but there are people who have had their ps3/ps4 drop connected in the same manner. It's not just logic unfortunately. Again, if every TV outputs non compliant DD 5.1 audio over optical then Sonos should've tested nd known this before they released a product that relied on it to function properly. Tv's with optical audio out were around long before Sonos. Maybe, they'll adjust since they seem to know the issue. I guess we'll find out.

I been having problem with DD 5.1 drop outs too but then no problems with DD2.0 format or similar. I was in the middle split whether it is sonos fault or my new LG 55UB850.

I tested sonos system with ps3; rather than let sound pass through the TV which can output 5.1 via optical (tested), i connected ps3 sound to the sonos direct using same optical cable and only had ps3 hdmi video signal on the TV. Guess what? I had no issues playing DD 5.1 content direct to sonos. 

Despite above, i still gone through helpful sonos 1st line support, submitted diagnostics log and then it got escalated to 2nd line. Here is what their engineer told me:

".....I'm one of the Senior tech engineers here at Sonos and my colleague has asked me to have a look at your incident. The rootcause of the issue you're experiencing is that the signal that the Playbar receives is not 100% compliant with the specifications set by the Dolby (tm) group. The Playbar expects to receive a fully standard Dolby (tm) signal (which it is not receiving) and therefore drops audio frames during playback resulting into audio dropouts. Internally we are looking into this issue as this can most likely be resolved by adding code to the decoding mechanism on the Playbar itself to support a non standard Dolby (tm) signal. Unfortunately I can't provide you with a timeframe on when this exactly will be implemented but when I have more news about this topic I'll make sure to provide you with more information."

The problem is not with Sonos, it is with manufacturers taking shortcuts in hardware development to probably save on processing power to output proper DD 5.1. Sonos is playing by the rules by abiding to the standards when it comes to DD signal and TVs are not.

I also had a chat with retail manager where i purchased TV from, he also greed with me on this and said that he is sceptical if he can find me alternative model/make that can handle DD 5.1 properly.

Lastly you have to consider a lot of TVs will have sound out set to PCM by default and TVs typically only handle this in 2 channels only which means that Sonos will receive a stereo sound that it will emulate as 5.1. This practise is common and provides no drop outs (i tested it) and most people wont realise that.

Stop ranting and take steps to logically solve the problem or at least identify what is causing it 

i am not arguing that you dont get DD 5.1, i believe you! I have same results.

But IT IS DD NON-COMPLIANT signal as stated by sonos support hence the drop outs.

Yes i believe them because i logically tested the issue with sound going direct from ps3 to sonos (not via TV) and DD 5.1 didnt drop

Its logic
Userlevel 1

"Sonos app wont lie, its your friend in finding whats comming out of your TV, it will tell you real audio in; stereo or DD 5.1 or DD 2.0."

This is what you just ended your last comment with, that's an exact quote. The app tells me an probably plenty of other people that their audio is DD 5.1. The app won't lie is what you said.

Now, here's the thing there might not even be one TV on the market that actually outputs DD 5.1 over optical by default so let's assume that's the issue. Sonos created a product for surround sound that doesn't work for surround sound. (This is assuming what they told you is true about the TV's being the issue). You're telling me that isn't a problem?

I just proved that sound drop outs problem is not with Sonos but the TV; how it handles the DD 5.1 output and sonos confirmed not by been honest but providing technical facts for this.

How can you expect Sonos to fix this?
Userlevel 1

This is a pretty widespread problem, I don't think most people are just bitching to bitch. My app tells me the audio is in real DD 5.1 and it still drops the audio. There's a very slim chance that the issue is everyone else's equupment and not the Adonis equipment. I agree in a lot of cases that the TV isn't setup or cable of outputting real DD 5.1 but a lot are and for those its a real issue. Sonos either isn't actively fixing it or if they are, they aren't being very up front or transparent about it. Just because you were able to get a second tier tech to admit the issue or give you a reasonable explanation, doesn't mean anything. You'll always find a good egg to be honest with you or give you some good information that's helpful. In the end, unless they release a patch or firmware update to resolve the issue then this problem will continue to exist, at least until they decide to revise the hardware with HDMI which would pretty much screw everyone who has the sound bar now.

True DD 5.1 uses channel separation where emulated is not, it just distributes sound across speakers

1. firstly make sure the content you play has DD 5.1 track before testing!
2. then check if your TV does support DD 5.1, it might do but in setting its set to PCM stereo
3. best is eliminate any 3rd party devices in between TV and your source, such as AV amp

Examples:
1. your TV set and capable to output DD 5.1 and connected to sonos but if you play content with say DD 2.0 sound track then sonos will only emulate it to give you best possible experience
2. considering 1st example but if you play content with DD 5.1 then sonos will output DD 5.1

Sonos app wont lie, its your friend in finding whats comming out of your TV, it will tell you real audio in; stereo or DD 5.1 or DD 2.0

You need to find out where the problem is, it can be an amp issue or limited format support

ps: even after i found the cause of the issue (TV) my hands are tied > LG wont output proper DD 5.1 compliant signal and sonos havent yet developed technique to deal with such problem.

Good luck

vadimoworld,

Thank you for the response! I have tried many things, but I have not been able to produce the scenario you described due to the distance of my A/V source and the playbar.

What I have taken from your post is that I should not use DD 5.1 since it is only emulated anyway. I will have to look up the setting on my LG TV and see if I can produce the same result!

Thanks again!

Adding to the conversation. I have an LG SmartTV with optical audio out to a playbar, a sub, and two play 1s linked as surround system. I am using alternating wireless channels for home wireless and sonos wireless. Audio coming from TV alone never drops. Playbar drops out randomly and it is very annoying. Wife is upset especially with how much we paid for system. I am upset as well. My hope is that sonos will do what is right and fix their product.

My experience with Sonos support is that they simply stall customers by giving us a list of things to check/do like change wireless settings, even return my Samsung PNF8500 teleivision (which I love!). They told me it was my television and had no connection to the playbar. In 2 different emails, when I directly asked the question about the dropout problem in all these threads, the support representative simply didn't acknowledge the question -- kept talking about wireless settings, etc!! I switched to the Bose Lifestyle system and things have worked perfectly -- no sound drop out. Sonos should be ashamed of itself in trying to hide the problem as well as sending its customers on wild goose chases hoping they will go away. I've been a huge Sonos fan in the past (my other components have worked perfectly for years) until I purchased the Playbar. Sonos actions on this problem have ended my high regard for them and I will stay clear of them in the future.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
@All, this is one (of many) threads that shows the lag of engagement from Sonos. Please like and follow the idea i submitted today for better visibility on Sonos development efforts. Thanks!
https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/customer-dashboard-for-sonos-development-efforts-show-us-where-yo...
Adding to the conversation. I have an LG SmartTV with optical audio out to a playbar, a sub, and two play 1s linked as surround system. I am using alternating wireless channels for home wireless and sonos wireless. Audio coming from TV alone never drops. Playbar drops out randomly and it is very annoying. Wife is upset especially with how much we paid for system. I am upset as well. My hope is that sonos will do what is right and fix their product.
I have had this problem with the audio dropping out with 5.1 audio source as well.  But, it only happens after I connect a SUB.  Do we know for a fact that getting an optical switch will fix the problem?  I'm fine with buying one if we know for a fact it works.
I have the same problem.  I have used two switches, the Monoprice and the Octava.  Dropouts occur every 20 minutes or so during live sports.  I can also hear more minor hiccups in the audio.  5.1 did not fix it.  Really a bummer because I like the Sonos equipment and may have to sell it.
I have had this problem with the audio dropping out with 5.1 audio source as well.  But, it only happens after I connect a SUB.  Do we know for a fact that getting an optical switch will fix the problem?  I'm fine with buying one if we know for a fact it works.
I have an optical switch and I still have the issue.  Have a sub also, didn't realize that was also a factor.
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
I have updated to the latest Beta software release this morning and the dropouts are worse than ever. Not sure what Sonos have done but it is not good. I am seriously considering drastic measures like talking to trading standards for advice
Userlevel 1
Badge
Same issue here since day one with playbar. Been about a year and no fix with very little concern from Sonos. They need to do something to compensate playbar owners experiencing this issue. Something has to be done. If it is difficult to fix, we understand, but at least do something for your customers to make up for this major inconvenience and utter disappointment. Not to mention, you should try to avoid a class action lawsuit which we can probably smell is comin real fast.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Ah, updated to a new beta release today and alas the 5.1 dropout problem is back. It appeared to be fixed in the last one. Big shame.
i jointed here to say i am too having this issue; my setup is simple; PS3 via hdmi into LG 55UB850 then optical out to Sonos Playbar and Play 1s. - Whenever i play Netflix in DD 5.1 or game on ps3 with DD5.1 i get drop outs at same time sonos app would state it is receiving DD5.1 - if i play DD 2.0 centent then there are no problems. - I also tried set TV to PCM and sonos would receive stereo sound - i dont get drop outs - I then tried PS3 direct to Sonos via optical and playing DD 5.1 i got no drop outs! I am confused if its problem with Sonos still or maybe some compatibility issue between my LG TV and sonos. My case has been escalated to second line with Sonos - whatever that means
First, I'd like to say I am a fan of Sonos but have been greatly disappointed with the Playbar/Sub and the responses from Sonos support about my problem. I was getting audio drops of 2-3 seconds about 4 times/hour when watching Netflix. Sonos support said something was wrong with my Samsung F8500 television and suggested I call Samsung. With some local help from an audio store, I learned that the playbar does not support Dolby Digital Plus which Netflix is now using to stream some of their titles. It also does not support the DTS format for my Blu-ray player. I directly asked Sonos support in two emails about this problem but they would not even acknowledge that I asked the question!! The audio/sound guy told me that the bandwidth for Dolby Plus and DTS are too large for the optical cable -- needs HDMI. So, he said the problem cannot be fixed with a software/firmware update -- only a redesign of the playbar to include HDMI ports. I returned the Playbar/Sub and now have a Bose Lifestyle system which supports both audio formats. No audio drop-outs, problem solved! In fairness to their customers, I think Sonos should be more forthcoming about these issues -- at least acknowledge the issues in response to a direct question.

Your audio guy doesn't know what he is talking about. Optical CAN support DTS. The PLAYBAR does not. This is not a bandwidth issue. Obviously the chip in the PLAYBAR doesn't support these formats, nothing to do with the cable itself.
I too am having this problem with a brand new Samsung UE55HU8500 - at first i figured it was the TV, but seeing this thread I am wondering if that may not be the case, can I have someone at Sonos look at a diagnostic and tell me what is going on?
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
CYP AU-D41 is the answer is that what Sonos is Saying????
If they're saying they support it's usage with the system as it solves the problem then, by implication, yes. They've had over half a year to solve it but seem unable. They must have hundreds of diagnostics. I use a cheap manual optical switch which also works fine. Whether Sonos supports this configuration or not is immaterial, it works. If you want auto/remote optical switching then the CYP device or similar is the way to go. Sonos know they've messed up but can't admit it for commercial reasons. Just get an optical switch and get back to enjoying music and DD video.
CYP AU-D41 is the answer is that what Sonos is Saying????
I have the same issue and I am very dissatisfied with sonos. I paid more for this product and now I have a soundbar that doesn't work as advertised. Sonos should be sued for this. I live in Brasil and I will not call your customer care line. Be a real company and release an update to solve this problem.
Userlevel 1
Dunno. Tried with 2 different optical cable. One was shipped with the Playbar and one purchased a year ago for my PS3.
Cant connect it directly, its a NAS and a Twonky Media Server streaming it to the TV through DLNA. 
But trying it directly is a good one, I'll try it tomorrow with a blue ray and my PS4.