Playbar audio drops out

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

179 replies

Same issue as the majority, audiodrop outs are most noticeable when viewing cable via my Arris STB, 5.2 setup, two play 1s, 1 sub, 1 playbar.

I submited a diagnostic report : 4213097
My SONOS PLAYBAR had audio drop outs as wel, especially while streaming online radio.
Sometimes it picked up the signal after about 10 seconds, sometimes it took minutes and manual retries before the radio stream would come back. 
I was able to exclude connection drops from the router to be root cause as the logs didn't show any relevant disconnects.
I was also able to exclude DHCP client lease time to be the issue because a larger nor a shorter lease time had positive effect on the audio dropouts.
I then read this FAQ on the SONOS support site:

Use of a 2.4Ghz or DECT wireless phone. 
  • In order to determine if a 2.4GHz phone is causing interference with your Sonos Wireless HiFi System, try unplugging the base station to see if it resolves the problems with audio dropouts. If so,try relocating the base stationfurther away from your Sonos Components. If this fails to resolve your dropouts, consider replaceing the 2.4Ghz models with 5.8Ghz phones.
  • Make sure that all DECT phone base stations are located a minimum of 1 meter away from any ZonePlayer. Please also note that the BT Home Hub router supplied by BT Internet contains a DECT phone base station and should be located as far away from any wired SONOS Components as allowed.
After moving my DECT phone away from the PLAYBAR no more audio drops appeared.

If you tried everything to no avail, and you own a phoneset described as above, give this a go and move your device(s) away from any SONOS devices.

Since this concerns mainly the same logic about interference of signals, I would also like to mention that other cabling or (magnetic) devices can interfere and interrupt each others signals. Putting your Subwoofer on top of an ethernet cable for example is really not the way to go...
Using shielded twisted pair ethernet cables is also advised when you want optimal protection against EM-interference.
Same problem with drop outs off my Sony TV or cable box.
No issues with local network or Pandora.
A very expensive paper weight.
I have the same issues, but the other day, I realized that I had gone for a number of hours without a dropout. Then suddenly it happened again, just as a vehicle was going down my street. Since then, I've noticed it happening occasionally when a car or truck goes down my street - but not every time. Could it have to do with the car wiring being "unshielded" or something in the TV (Samsung) or the Playbar not being shielded from such interference?
Hi Sonos Team, I've had no issues with my soundbar for month and i'm now encountering audio cut outs of a few seconds randomly on certain tv shows, is there any software fix for this? Optical cable is ok and plugged in?I need an answer as I'm an integrator selling Sonos in south of France and don't want to propose something that wouldn't work smoothly to my customers as I've got orders waiting... Thank you for quick answer.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hi Sonos Team, I've had no issues with my soundbar for month and i'm now encountering audio cut outs of a few seconds randomly on certain tv shows, is there any software fix for this? Optical cable is ok and plugged in?I need an answer as I'm an integrator selling Sonos in south of France and don't want to propose something that wouldn't work smoothly to my customers as I've got orders waiting... Thank you for quick answer.
Hello Frantz, the best would be to give us a call. One of our Sonos agents will be able to check your Sonos system and set up.
Userlevel 1
Badge
So what is the actual state? have drop outs since some days - thought its my new LG but as I tried to connect the Playbar to the old system (FireTV) from Amazon the same drop outs happend.

So what the hell is going up with the Plabar????

thanks for your help

Peter
I have a new Sharp 50" 4K HDTV... and had my Sonos Playbar mounted beneath it by Geek Squad. it is connected via Monster Cable through Digital Audio Out (Optical) (not the plain Audio Out connection)... sound drops out for 1 to 2 seconds randomly... at least a few times each hour. ANY IDEAS?
I've had the problem for over 8 months and thought it was my TV.so for Christmas I bought a new Vizio M series 4k tv and I still have the problem! Sonos, please help!
It's really bad today for some reason. Watching the Rockets vs Bulls game and there's been 12 to 15 drop outs every 5 minutes. It's like trying to listen to a speaker who's fighting a case of the hiccups.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Since there are a few having the same issues I will have to do it like this: please all be sure that your TV is on the correct audio format over optical (Spdif), this should be PCM (stereo) or Dolby Digital 5.1 if yours is set to Auto, adjust this to selections available, please note that not all TV's have Dolby Digital passthrough from HDMI over optical, these cases we see that Dolby Digital is not listed in the Audio format setting of the TV, the only way to enjoy without sound cutting out is to have it set to PCM (stereo), have a look at the following article about the PLAYBAR and audio formats: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1945
Mine is set to Bitstream, which is correct, and still have the problem.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Mine is set to Bitstream, which is correct, and still have the problem.

What other option do you get in that menu? Submit a diagnostic while playing with the Bitstream format, after that change it to PCM and submit a new diagnostic.
Userlevel 2
No message delete function, sorry for the duplicate
Userlevel 2
Userlevel 2
Userlevel 1
Ignore that, it's still doing it!!
We have the same problem. We upgraded to the new quantum dot Samsung tv when it started. Since then we upgraded to Sky Q. Regardless if I connect the sound bar to the tv or the Sky Q box it still does it. I wonder if it's on recorded downloaded programs. On sky films it doesn't seem to happen, but game of thrones which is downloaded it happens every 15 min or so. Very frustrating.
With my 2011 Samsung TV it NEVER happened.Playbar worked perfectly. Just upgraded to the new SUHD 65" and dropouts are CONSTANT. So incredibly annoying. Not sure why they can't just fix it rather than just pointing fingers at everyone else. Sonos...we love your stuff, but come on...work with us.

This is exactly the same as us, did you sort it.

I have just changed the tv to PCM as it's driving us nuts tonight.
This is crazy that this issue has existed for so long and has not been fixed! I just bought a Playbar + SUB for my new Sony XBR75X850D TV and the audio cutout on the playbar is terrible! It happens every 5-10 mins - enough that my wife wants me to return the Sonos system. I can't believe I spent so much on a product that has this common of an issue. Is there ever going to be a fix for this?

And to clarify - I have already tried a new optical cable, removed wireless phones from the house, and connected both devices to my network via wired ethernet connections.
I did what Ryan from Sonos suggested and connected my Arris Cable box's optical directly to the Playbar and it appears that the issue is resolved. I haven't heard any audio cutouts since making the change. Looks like the issue is being caused by the Sony XBR TV's handling of the audio - as Sonos was saying.

I've ordered this optical switch on Amazon - hopefully this will be the perfect solution (with my Harmony Elite remote to handle the source switching)!
https://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-TOSLINK-Digital-Optical-Switcher/dp/B00G188Z7A/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Will report after everything is reconfigured later this week.

Thanks for the prompt response Sonos!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for the details, I'll take a look at that diagnostic on that other thread, but I just wanted to ask a couple quick questions and add some more details. When you had the TV playing from the TIVO box without the PLAYBAR, was it playing Dolby Digital or PCM? Often times, the TV is just going to play stereo since it is a stereo speaker.

Is the TIVO box you're using wired directly to the cable that's providing the source of the content you're playing or is this one wirelessly connected or streaming off of another one somewhere in the house?

Generally speaking from my experience, if you have Dolby Digital audio stuttering, it can be caused by the bandwidth or stream to it being weak or having issues. A Dolby Digital stream takes a lot of bandwidth and processor power, compared to a PCM stream. A wireless connection might be able to send the video, but lose out on the audio from time to time. I've also seen some 4k TV's for example, have the Dolby cut out on the optical because the processor couldn't handle pushing the audio and displaying the video at the same time, and the picture was given priority.
I've been suffering through an audio dropout issue with my Playbar for years as well. I have a Tivo Premier connected to a Monoprice 4x1 switch box with outputs to a Samsung Plasma and the Sonos Playbar. The issue typically occurs when I change channels, FF and or rewind,etc... You often get 2-3 second audio drop outs shortly after.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for the details guys. We'll take a closer look here and if you haven't spoken with our support team it'd be great to give us a call on our support line. A technician will want to dig into the system and likely get some audio taps to see what's happening. I suspect (unconfirmed for the record) that there's an issue with the Tivo stream coming in, that it's sending a weird burst of data to the PLAYBAR causing an issue here. We'll need a much closer look though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
It certainly could. It really depends on where the audio cutouts are coming from. Usually the cause is missed data that's sent at some point along the line. So the best thing to start with it to start narrowing down potential causes. For example, if you only have cutouts playing Cable TV, try wiring from your Sonos PLAYBAR into that Cable box to see if you get cutouts directly off that. If you do, than an HDMI switch isn't likely to solve the issue because the cutouts are happening at the source.

If you only have cutouts when a source goes through the TV, it's likely a probably at the TV level, so firmware updates are a great starting point, and after that, you may need to bypass the TV.

Also, make sure you've updated Sonos to the latest version, that's always a good place to start, if nothing else because it restarts the players. The latest version is 7.2 as of this week.