Playbar audio drops out

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

179 replies

Userlevel 2
Also have a 5.1 setup, and the version 5.2 Beta. When using the Netflix app (on Samsung BDH-5900), I get audio dropouts, (every half an hour, I will get dropouts every 3 seconds for ~3-4 minutes straight) but not when playing from a DVD. I never had experienced this error until adding 2xPlay 1s two weeks ago.

Sounds like the Netflix app is to blame, though seeing as Bose seems to paint over Netflix's inoptimal output, would be great if Sonos could too.
Same issue as the majority, audiodrop outs are most noticeable when viewing cable via my Arris STB, 5.2 setup, two play 1s, 1 sub, 1 playbar.

I submited a diagnostic report : 4213097
My SONOS PLAYBAR had audio drop outs as wel, especially while streaming online radio.
Sometimes it picked up the signal after about 10 seconds, sometimes it took minutes and manual retries before the radio stream would come back. 
I was able to exclude connection drops from the router to be root cause as the logs didn't show any relevant disconnects.
I was also able to exclude DHCP client lease time to be the issue because a larger nor a shorter lease time had positive effect on the audio dropouts.
I then read this FAQ on the SONOS support site:

Use of a 2.4Ghz or DECT wireless phone. 
  • In order to determine if a 2.4GHz phone is causing interference with your Sonos Wireless HiFi System, try unplugging the base station to see if it resolves the problems with audio dropouts. If so,try relocating the base stationfurther away from your Sonos Components. If this fails to resolve your dropouts, consider replaceing the 2.4Ghz models with 5.8Ghz phones.
  • Make sure that all DECT phone base stations are located a minimum of 1 meter away from any ZonePlayer. Please also note that the BT Home Hub router supplied by BT Internet contains a DECT phone base station and should be located as far away from any wired SONOS Components as allowed.
After moving my DECT phone away from the PLAYBAR no more audio drops appeared.

If you tried everything to no avail, and you own a phoneset described as above, give this a go and move your device(s) away from any SONOS devices.

Since this concerns mainly the same logic about interference of signals, I would also like to mention that other cabling or (magnetic) devices can interfere and interrupt each others signals. Putting your Subwoofer on top of an ethernet cable for example is really not the way to go...
Using shielded twisted pair ethernet cables is also advised when you want optimal protection against EM-interference.
I also have the same problem. I have a Sony KDL40EX600 tv. When I watch certain movies and series that have DD5.1, the sound regularly suddenly stops for about 1 to 2 seconds. When I connect my Mede8er directly to the soundbar, I do not have this problem. 
Same problem with drop outs off my Sony TV or cable box.
No issues with local network or Pandora.
A very expensive paper weight.
I have the same issues, but the other day, I realized that I had gone for a number of hours without a dropout. Then suddenly it happened again, just as a vehicle was going down my street. Since then, I've noticed it happening occasionally when a car or truck goes down my street - but not every time. Could it have to do with the car wiring being "unshielded" or something in the TV (Samsung) or the Playbar not being shielded from such interference?
Hi Sonos Team, I've had no issues with my soundbar for month and i'm now encountering audio cut outs of a few seconds randomly on certain tv shows, is there any software fix for this? Optical cable is ok and plugged in?I need an answer as I'm an integrator selling Sonos in south of France and don't want to propose something that wouldn't work smoothly to my customers as I've got orders waiting... Thank you for quick answer.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hi Sonos Team, I've had no issues with my soundbar for month and i'm now encountering audio cut outs of a few seconds randomly on certain tv shows, is there any software fix for this? Optical cable is ok and plugged in?I need an answer as I'm an integrator selling Sonos in south of France and don't want to propose something that wouldn't work smoothly to my customers as I've got orders waiting... Thank you for quick answer.
Hello Frantz, the best would be to give us a call. One of our Sonos agents will be able to check your Sonos system and set up.
Userlevel 1
Badge
So what is the actual state? have drop outs since some days - thought its my new LG but as I tried to connect the Playbar to the old system (FireTV) from Amazon the same drop outs happend.

So what the hell is going up with the Plabar????

thanks for your help

Peter
With my 2011 Samsung TV it NEVER happened.Playbar worked perfectly. Just upgraded to the new SUHD 65" and dropouts are CONSTANT. So incredibly annoying. Not sure why they can't just fix it rather than just pointing fingers at everyone else. Sonos...we love your stuff, but come on...work with us.
I have a new Sharp 50" 4K HDTV... and had my Sonos Playbar mounted beneath it by Geek Squad. it is connected via Monster Cable through Digital Audio Out (Optical) (not the plain Audio Out connection)... sound drops out for 1 to 2 seconds randomly... at least a few times each hour. ANY IDEAS?
I have the same problem w my new Samsung 65" JS8500 and a newly purchased Playbar. Like everyone else on this thread, streaming music is no problem, but I get sound cuts of just over a second every now and then when watching TV/Movie. If I watch Netflix through the SmartTv app or Apple TV 4 Gen makes no difference, still experience sound cuts. Sonos, this needs to be fixed!
I've had the problem for over 8 months and thought it was my TV.so for Christmas I bought a new Vizio M series 4k tv and I still have the problem! Sonos, please help!
It's really bad today for some reason. Watching the Rockets vs Bulls game and there's been 12 to 15 drop outs every 5 minutes. It's like trying to listen to a speaker who's fighting a case of the hiccups.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Since there are a few having the same issues I will have to do it like this: please all be sure that your TV is on the correct audio format over optical (Spdif), this should be PCM (stereo) or Dolby Digital 5.1 if yours is set to Auto, adjust this to selections available, please note that not all TV's have Dolby Digital passthrough from HDMI over optical, these cases we see that Dolby Digital is not listed in the Audio format setting of the TV, the only way to enjoy without sound cutting out is to have it set to PCM (stereo), have a look at the following article about the PLAYBAR and audio formats: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1945
Mine is set to Bitstream, which is correct, and still have the problem.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Mine is set to Bitstream, which is correct, and still have the problem.

What other option do you get in that menu? Submit a diagnostic while playing with the Bitstream format, after that change it to PCM and submit a new diagnostic.
I just submitted diagnostic RIGHT after audio drop out while it was set to bitstream. Audio In said Dolby 5.1. Then I changed to PCM (is the only other option) and submitted diagnosis again. Audio In says Stereo now.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Sonos playbar will not decode dolby 5.1 from dish network receiver without constant drop outs vip722 and their is no fix per sonos rep switch to pcm 60 year old stereo and be happy and I have new 3000 dollar sony television that does output dolby digital 5.1 per optical output on all channels sonos mis leading thousands of customers they blame dish network so pay attention all new customers do not buy sonos playbar!!!
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Sonos playbar will not decode dolby 5.1 from dish network receiver without constant drop outs vip722 and their is no fix per sonos rep switch to pcm 60 year old stereo and be happy and I have new 3000 dollar sony television that does output dolby digital 5.1 per optical output on all channels sonos mis leading thousands of customers they blame dish network so pay attention all new customers do not buy sonos playbar!!!
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
I just submitted diagnostic RIGHT after audio drop out while it was set to bitstream. Audio In said Dolby 5.1. Then I changed to PCM (is the only other option) and submitted diagnosis again. Audio In says Stereo now.
Can you reply with the diagnostic confirmation number? We will be able to check and see what our next steps will be.

Hi Beetle777, we'd be happy to help and find the source of the issue. Would it be able just for a test to put the Dish receiver to the side and wire the PLAYBAR to the TV and try with a DVD/Blu-Ray movie?
Let us know if your PLAYBAR is still experiencing audio drops. Also, submit a diagnostic and reply with the confirmation number. Here's an article explaining how: How to Submit Diagnostic
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hello Max P just talked to sonos rep again can't be fixed they blame dish and told me to ask for a new dish receiver I fill this won't solve the problem as what you said I have tried that LG 3D bluray plays perfect through soundbar in 5.1 also netflix plays great all in 5.1 sony bravia 850C outputs all 5.1 channels that are available perfect just with drop outs every so often when dish receiver set in PCM mode everything is fine the other choice on sat receiver is PCM/Dolby the rep said since these to two are together they are switching back and forth he said ask for one with dolby 5.1 only I don't think this is possible but I guess I'll ask thank you for your concern.
Userlevel 2
No message delete function, sorry for the duplicate
Userlevel 2
Userlevel 2