Playbar audio drops out

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

179 replies

First, I'd like to say I am a fan of Sonos but have been greatly disappointed with the Playbar/Sub and the responses from Sonos support about my problem. I was getting audio drops of 2-3 seconds about 4 times/hour when watching Netflix. Sonos support said something was wrong with my Samsung F8500 television and suggested I call Samsung. With some local help from an audio store, I learned that the playbar does not support Dolby Digital Plus which Netflix is now using to stream some of their titles. It also does not support the DTS format for my Blu-ray player. I directly asked Sonos support in two emails about this problem but they would not even acknowledge that I asked the question!! The audio/sound guy told me that the bandwidth for Dolby Plus and DTS are too large for the optical cable -- needs HDMI. So, he said the problem cannot be fixed with a software/firmware update -- only a redesign of the playbar to include HDMI ports. I returned the Playbar/Sub and now have a Bose Lifestyle system which supports both audio formats. No audio drop-outs, problem solved! In fairness to their customers, I think Sonos should be more forthcoming about these issues -- at least acknowledge the issues in response to a direct question.
+1 

I'm sending DD 5.1 to the Playbar via an HDMI/Tos switch and depending on the content I'm experiencing the same 2-3 second audio drop outs.

I have to agree with Paul above - I just bought the Playbar because I wanted an easy surround solution that could stream music - but it's starting to be more trouble than it's worth. The only thing is that when the playbar is receiving true DD 5.1 it sounds pretty awesome - way better than many other soundbars I've owned and heard. It just seems like a waste that Sonos has made it so difficult to get it since almost no TVs actually pass DD 5.1 through their optical out.
Badge
Connected my UPC(cable)-box (5.1) through CYP AU-D41 into the Playbar and getting completely random fractional sound dropouts. When connected throught the TV first there are no dropouts but then I don't have real 5.1 sound. (no problems with my Bluray player btw)

It's not too big a problem but I just want to get the most out of the Sonos-system, so that means 5.1 sound when watching TV as well.

Looks like Sonos can't handle the input, but it might as well be a problem with the cablebox... (?)
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Connected my UPC(cable)-box (5.1) through CYP AU-D41 into the Playbar and getting completely random fractional sound dropouts. When connected throught the TV first there are no dropouts but then I don't have real 5.1 sound. (no problems with my Bluray player btw)

It's not too big a problem but I just want to get the most out of the Sonos-system, so that means 5.1 sound when watching TV as well.

Looks like Sonos can't handle the input, but it might as well be a problem with the cablebox... (?)

I've been told by Sonos support that the CYP box is the only officially supported switch so they should resolve the issue even when using it. I'm afraid I ran out of time and desire to resolve the issue when connecting to the tv direct and started to use my cheap and nasty manual switch. Seems to work ok. Good luck!
First, I'd like to say I am a fan of Sonos but have been greatly disappointed with the Playbar/Sub and the responses from Sonos support about my problem. I was getting audio drops of 2-3 seconds about 4 times/hour when watching Netflix. Sonos support said something was wrong with my Samsung F8500 television and suggested I call Samsung. With some local help from an audio store, I learned that the playbar does not support Dolby Digital Plus which Netflix is now using to stream some of their titles. It also does not support the DTS format for my Blu-ray player. I directly asked Sonos support in two emails about this problem but they would not even acknowledge that I asked the question!! The audio/sound guy told me that the bandwidth for Dolby Plus and DTS are too large for the optical cable -- needs HDMI. So, he said the problem cannot be fixed with a software/firmware update -- only a redesign of the playbar to include HDMI ports. I returned the Playbar/Sub and now have a Bose Lifestyle system which supports both audio formats. No audio drop-outs, problem solved! In fairness to their customers, I think Sonos should be more forthcoming about these issues -- at least acknowledge the issues in response to a direct question.

I agree with you!! At least acknowledge that there is a problem! I am personally sick and tired of the audio dropouts. This has been a problem for months... Fix it Sonos!!!
Have the same problem with LG 47LS5700 when source is 5.1. All is good for around 30 mins then the random drop outs begin. Agreed you can change the digital audio out to PCM but this is not a solution. I am currently waiting on a response from Sonos support regarding this but going by this thread it looks like there is no solution to this problem.

I know Sonos traditionally do not comment on any future releases but in this case I think there should be an exception. The support forums are full of people with the same problem, who are left in the dark wondering if the problems with their expensive home theater system they have invested in will actually function correctly.
Userlevel 1
Same thing here also. Samsung Smart TV. Works fine with music streaming, but when I try to watch a DTS movie sound cuts out for 1 sec every 1-5 minutes.
Diagnostic id:  3846754 
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Dolby Digital movie I assume you are saying.  Playbar does not decode DTS.
Userlevel 1
I meant Dolby Digital.
Userlevel 1
If I set my TV to convert the source to PCM its fine, so I guess I'm not going to add 2 play:1 to the system, cos is pretty pointless for stereo...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Your TV can't be set to pass DDigital?
Userlevel 1
Thats the thing, when I play a movie with a DD source, my TV automatically pass DD and thats when the Playbar starts to skip a second every so on then. If i set the TV to convert the source to PCM is all right.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I wonder if it is something the TV is doing.  Have you looked to see if you connect the optical cable directly to the source does it still skip.
Userlevel 1
Dunno. Tried with 2 different optical cable. One was shipped with the Playbar and one purchased a year ago for my PS3.
Cant connect it directly, its a NAS and a Twonky Media Server streaming it to the TV through DLNA. 
But trying it directly is a good one, I'll try it tomorrow with a blue ray and my PS4.
I have the same issue and I am very dissatisfied with sonos. I paid more for this product and now I have a soundbar that doesn't work as advertised. Sonos should be sued for this. I live in Brasil and I will not call your customer care line. Be a real company and release an update to solve this problem.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
CYP AU-D41 is the answer is that what Sonos is Saying????
If they're saying they support it's usage with the system as it solves the problem then, by implication, yes. They've had over half a year to solve it but seem unable. They must have hundreds of diagnostics. I use a cheap manual optical switch which also works fine. Whether Sonos supports this configuration or not is immaterial, it works. If you want auto/remote optical switching then the CYP device or similar is the way to go. Sonos know they've messed up but can't admit it for commercial reasons. Just get an optical switch and get back to enjoying music and DD video.
I too am having this problem with a brand new Samsung UE55HU8500 - at first i figured it was the TV, but seeing this thread I am wondering if that may not be the case, can I have someone at Sonos look at a diagnostic and tell me what is going on?

Your audio guy doesn't know what he is talking about. Optical CAN support DTS. The PLAYBAR does not. This is not a bandwidth issue. Obviously the chip in the PLAYBAR doesn't support these formats, nothing to do with the cable itself.
i jointed here to say i am too having this issue; my setup is simple; PS3 via hdmi into LG 55UB850 then optical out to Sonos Playbar and Play 1s. - Whenever i play Netflix in DD 5.1 or game on ps3 with DD5.1 i get drop outs at same time sonos app would state it is receiving DD5.1 - if i play DD 2.0 centent then there are no problems. - I also tried set TV to PCM and sonos would receive stereo sound - i dont get drop outs - I then tried PS3 direct to Sonos via optical and playing DD 5.1 i got no drop outs! I am confused if its problem with Sonos still or maybe some compatibility issue between my LG TV and sonos. My case has been escalated to second line with Sonos - whatever that means
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Ah, updated to a new beta release today and alas the 5.1 dropout problem is back. It appeared to be fixed in the last one. Big shame.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Same issue here since day one with playbar. Been about a year and no fix with very little concern from Sonos. They need to do something to compensate playbar owners experiencing this issue. Something has to be done. If it is difficult to fix, we understand, but at least do something for your customers to make up for this major inconvenience and utter disappointment. Not to mention, you should try to avoid a class action lawsuit which we can probably smell is comin real fast.
I have updated to the latest Beta software release this morning and the dropouts are worse than ever. Not sure what Sonos have done but it is not good. I am seriously considering drastic measures like talking to trading standards for advice
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
I have had this problem with the audio dropping out with 5.1 audio source as well.  But, it only happens after I connect a SUB.  Do we know for a fact that getting an optical switch will fix the problem?  I'm fine with buying one if we know for a fact it works.
I have had this problem with the audio dropping out with 5.1 audio source as well.  But, it only happens after I connect a SUB.  Do we know for a fact that getting an optical switch will fix the problem?  I'm fine with buying one if we know for a fact it works.
I have an optical switch and I still have the issue.  Have a sub also, didn't realize that was also a factor.
I have the same problem.  I have used two switches, the Monoprice and the Octava.  Dropouts occur every 20 minutes or so during live sports.  I can also hear more minor hiccups in the audio.  5.1 did not fix it.  Really a bummer because I like the Sonos equipment and may have to sell it.