Answered

Playbar and Sonos amp Max Distance

• 9 September 2019
  • 2 replies

Hi All,

I currently have a playbar set up (Wirelessly) - I am looking to use my hardwired rears , connected to my Sonos Amp as surrounds. My Amp is currently at the floor below in my audio rack, roughly 50ft from the playbar. I set up the amp as my surrounds under the playbar settings but I hear NO SOUND at all from my rears. Even if I play music instead of the TV. I’ve been told the issue may be the distance between the amp and the playbar. Is this most likely the cause? Is there any solution besides moving my amp closer if so?

appreciate the help!!
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 9 September 2019, 04:21

So, there's a couple of things to check here.

First, when you look in the controller at the room that has the PLAYBAR in it, does it show as (+LS+RS)? If so, it's finding your Sonos Amp just fine.

One thing to note is that the connection between the Amp and the PLAYBAR is on a 5Ghz channel, which is more susceptible to absorption than a standart 2.4Ghz channel, which the rest of the Sonos system uses. I would guess that Sonos assumes that the two devices would be in relative close proximity. 50 feet I suppose is possible, but in my mind, no knowing the construction of your home, the various materials involved, etc, it's certainly at a distance I'd be very concerned about.

You can, however, get around this issue by wiring both devices, the PLAYBAR and the Sonos Amp with ethernet cable to your router, and they'll connect together in that manner.

Second, are you sure that you're playing a Dolby Digital signal to the PLAYBAR? If it's only a stereo signal, you won't get much out of the surround speakers. You can check by going in to the controller, going to settings, and choosing "About My Sonos System", which will show you what the PLAYBAR is receiving through the optical connection at the moment that the report is generated (it doesn't change until you run it again, it's not a "live" report).
View original

2 replies

So, there's a couple of things to check here.

First, when you look in the controller at the room that has the PLAYBAR in it, does it show as (+LS+RS)? If so, it's finding your Sonos Amp just fine.

One thing to note is that the connection between the Amp and the PLAYBAR is on a 5Ghz channel, which is more susceptible to absorption than a standart 2.4Ghz channel, which the rest of the Sonos system uses. I would guess that Sonos assumes that the two devices would be in relative close proximity. 50 feet I suppose is possible, but in my mind, no knowing the construction of your home, the various materials involved, etc, it's certainly at a distance I'd be very concerned about.

You can, however, get around this issue by wiring both devices, the PLAYBAR and the Sonos Amp with ethernet cable to your router, and they'll connect together in that manner.

Second, are you sure that you're playing a Dolby Digital signal to the PLAYBAR? If it's only a stereo signal, you won't get much out of the surround speakers. You can check by going in to the controller, going to settings, and choosing "About My Sonos System", which will show you what the PLAYBAR is receiving through the optical connection at the moment that the report is generated (it doesn't change until you run it again, it's not a "live" report).
Airgetlam -

Thank you so much! I plugged the playbar directly into my network and the surrounds worked flawlessly!