Answered

Playbar and Samsung TV/Bluetooth remote

• 24 January 2017
  • 6 replies

New Samsung 8000 55" with smart Bluetooth remote and new Sonos playbar. I can't control the volume on the playbar with the TV smart remote. The remote does have IR capabilities because there is a set up to link it to blue ray players, home theater systems etc. the problem is there is no Sonos option. Does anyone know a workaround maybe using a different system brand and model number that would link them giving me the capability to control the playbar volume with the Samsung smart remote.

Thanks in advance!
icon

Best answer by surfandjet 6 November 2017, 22:34

Viper, I thought it wasn't working for me either, but it turned out I just needed to make sure I chose the right source (HDMI 1 for example) after I finished with the universal remote steps. So I finished the set up, clicked Sources, HDMI 1, and then went about my Netflix, HBO Go, ect. like normal. Worked like a charm, and this was after Samsung Tech Support told me there was ABSOLUTELY NO WAY that I could get the remote to output IR for anything except the power button. Thanks John B!
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

I have the exact problem. All I want to do is control TV Antenna and Roku output to Playbar with the one Samsung Smart remote.
The following was posted on another thread (I can't post link) as a solution for a Samsung 8000 series Smart remote. Please let us know if it works for you.

1. Connect the playbar to tv. TV home menu -> Settings -> Audio out. Set it to optical
2. Go to TV home menu -> source -> Universal Remote
3. Add new Device. Pick home theatre. Type Sonos and then it asks for model number. Enter PLAYBAR. Now it will ask you to do power test. Since Sonos doesn't have power off - just say "yes" it worked.
4. This is where we all get stuck The remote should start sending IR commands, but it doesn't. So you can't teach playbar IR commands yet.
5. Now you go back to Univeral Remote menu (step 2). Click on the Sonos device that you added in Step 3. To me it showed few options - one was Samsung blu ray player (which is connected to my TV) but I think there was another "Cable something" even though I have nothing else connected to the TV. I selected the "Bluray option". I think you can select any other option. Then the TV asks you which HDMI input is this source and you pick the right input (actually I don't know if you need to pick the right input, any input might do). Then finish this setup by following any prompts.
6. Now if you go back to Universal Remote menu (step 2), you will a combined device (Samsung-Sonos). Mine is called Samsung as I set up the blu ray as Samsung device since it is from Samsung.
7. Now your remote is ready to send IR commands. Open the remote setup menu in Sonos app and teach it. Sonos will immediately say that remote recognized and you are Done!

Note1: Now it doesn't matter if my blu ray player is on or not. I can control the volume for both blu ray video and TV apps video.
Note2: TV has to be on for the remote to send IR commands. If you turn off the TV, remote stops sending IR commands. For me this isn't a huge deal as if I play sonos from my phone, I just use the phone to control the volume, but I hope Samsung fixes this too.
No. followed these steps exactly multiple times. I deleted everything and started from scratch. I reran the TV setup program. Nothing.
Viper, I thought it wasn't working for me either, but it turned out I just needed to make sure I chose the right source (HDMI 1 for example) after I finished with the universal remote steps. So I finished the set up, clicked Sources, HDMI 1, and then went about my Netflix, HBO Go, ect. like normal. Worked like a charm, and this was after Samsung Tech Support told me there was ABSOLUTELY NO WAY that I could get the remote to output IR for anything except the power button. Thanks John B!
I had Best Buy Geek Squad install my Samsung 82" TV. They configured everything but told me it was impossible to have the Samsung Bluetooth remote control the Sonos. I found this thread and tried it. Worked like a charm. Thanks for the great thread. (I chose Optical Output).
Unfortunately, I think the knowledge level of the "geek squad" is entirely variable. I'm sure there are some who are excellent, but I suspect the large majority aren't as technical. Much as I expect a lot of phone help line people to be. Some reading from the script, and not understanding what they're talking through, and some who "get" it, and can think beyond the training.