Answered

Playbar and Netflix audio 5.1 no longer working, silent

• 13 November 2017
  • 5 replies

Diagnostic submitted - 8075585
Netflix 5.1 audio (English 5.1) is not working, occasionally gives a short burst of audio (less than a second) but always goes silent. Switching to regular audio soundtrack (English, or English - Audio Description) does work, sounds clear.
Sonos controller shows ' Unsupported' for audio in.

Recently updated to Sonos v8.1.1 - all Sonos devices and all controllers.

My kit is:
TV: Sony KD-55X8500E
Software version: PKG6.2508.0050PAA

I've also tried switching some of TV digital signal processing controls - no effect.
Disabled Sony TV ClearAudio+
DD output set to Dolby Digital - not DD+ Plus
refer attached images, mentions ARC & optical out muting.

I've had a troll through this forum - looks like there was something similar a couple of month ago on Sonos v7.x - attempted a couple of the user suggestion but no joy.
icon

Best answer by greggles 19 November 2017, 07:02

OK update to the Original Post (OP) question:
when this problem (no Netflix 5.1 audio) occured, i had relatively poor ADSL internet speed (about 3Mb/s download). I was getting by with using the Netflix Stereo audio (i.e. just 'English' not the 5.1).

A few days after logging this issue, my ADSL/Internet connection at home was upgraded and I now get about 11Mbit/sec download speed.

So I then tried selecting Netflix 5.1 audio selection -and it 'just works' again .... ? so i suspect there may be some magic Netflix network speed detection with throttling going on, perhaps ... ?

Regardless of how & why - my Netlfix is now working again via the Playbar and Play 1's I have for DD 5.1 surround sound 🙂
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Wow, thanks for for the screen caps. I assume they're all from the Netflix app? I'd be interested in seeing similar screens from the TV's audio settings as well. It's pretty clear (to me) that you've got the settings right in the Netflix app, so I'm indeed confused as to why you should be getting no audio to occasional bursts of sound. Doesn't make much sense in the mental image I've built in my mind. But submitting the diagnostic is most useful, hopefully it will indicate something to the folks at Sonos.
Re screen images
Blue ones are the TV audio handling configs,
Black image is the Netflix 'audio selection' menu
Ah, well, then, they don't look anything like my Sony TV from 15 years ago. Damn Sony for updating things :)

Guess we need to wait for someone from Sonos to look at that diagnostic. Sorry I couldn't have been of more help.
Having similar issue with LG oled557cp ususing Apple 4K TV. Playing movies in Dolby Digital 5.1 I get no sound and Sonos controller states “unsupported”. Sonos is running 8.2
OK update to the Original Post (OP) question:
when this problem (no Netflix 5.1 audio) occured, i had relatively poor ADSL internet speed (about 3Mb/s download). I was getting by with using the Netflix Stereo audio (i.e. just 'English' not the 5.1).

A few days after logging this issue, my ADSL/Internet connection at home was upgraded and I now get about 11Mbit/sec download speed.

So I then tried selecting Netflix 5.1 audio selection -and it 'just works' again .... ? so i suspect there may be some magic Netflix network speed detection with throttling going on, perhaps ... ?

Regardless of how & why - my Netlfix is now working again via the Playbar and Play 1's I have for DD 5.1 surround sound 🙂