Question

Playbar and 1 play 3

I recently purchased a playbar and only one play 3. The hope was that I could watch tv outside and the play 3 would be able to simultaneously play the same sound that was coming from the tv playbar inside. I can't figure out why when I try to group the playbar and play 3 together it doesn't work. Is it possible to do or do I need to add another play 3 in order to connect with surround sound so the playbar and play 3s will all play the same thing at the same time?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi parker.12, welcome to the community. Just grouping another speaker with the PLAYBAR usually will not allow you listen to what's coming through the PLAYBAR's optical input on that speaker. This is because that audio signal is too high bandwidth to transmit properly over 2.4GHz WiFi, which Sonos uses to talk to group members. If you were to add a second PLAY:3 and set them up as surround speakers, the PLAYBAR would instead use 5GHz to send the signal to them. However do bear in mind that 5GHz is much shorter range than 2.4 and may not penetrate out to where you want to have the PLAY:3, depending on distance.
I would be surprised if there were any bandwidth issues here and it should not be a problem to group Playbar and P:3 to play TV sound.

However, there will be latency issues, which mean the audio sync won't be perfect. That may or may not be an issue, depending on where and how you would be using the P:3.