Playback of Audible results in truncated chapters

• 12 October 2018
  • 25 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Since a recent Sonos update, when I playback an Audible book I am getting the last 20 - 40 seconds of each chapter truncated (missed). The next chapter then starts and the same happens. What is going on?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

25 replies

It sounds like Sonos is losing touch with the audible server for some reason, and then reconnecting. The next time it occurs, I'd submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of replicating this issue, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos to discuss it. There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Surely it would not lose contact with the Audible server at pretty much exactly the same point in every chapter - i.e. about 30 seconds from the end - it would be far more random.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Diags submitted within a few seconds of end of chapter truncation
Your confirmation number is: 1651313034.
Stratos,

I’ve just tested this on a short 'free' audio book and I’m not currently getting the same behaviour on my updated system, so just wondering if you’ve tried another book in the Sonos App Audible section, just to see if it keeps happening. Maybe also try removing and reauthorising your audible account too.

I’m wondering if there are any other users here, who could perhaps test this too, just to see if it’s a much wider issue, rather than perhaps an isolated case.

I will add in my testing, I simply dragged the slider towards the end of the chapters that I tested, rather than listening to the whole chapter.

It almost sounds like a 'crossfade' issue, but obviously that option is disabled in the 'now playing' screen normally for audiobooks.
Oh, I’ve been listening to Audible almost daily, and not having any skipping. I’d agree that it seems unusual to happen at the same point in each chapter, but I can’t reason any thoughtful ideas as to how that could be a Sonos issue, other than the possibility of the speaker losing connection to the Audible servers. Let’s see what Sonos has to say on Monday.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I will try with other books shortly and feedback
I also experienced the same issue a couple of days ago. Where is the guidance on submittinb diagnostic info? The last link I tried on the forum was broken...
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I also experienced the same issue a couple of days ago. Where is the guidance on submittinb diagnostic info? The last link I tried on the forum was broken...
In the 2nd post above by Airgetlam
Doh! Thanks 🙂
Just experienced the same problem again. Started the audible book using Alexa then brought up the control panel in the Sonos application on my android phone. The last couple of minutes of the chapter were chopped off and a message was very briefly displayed: it was something like "unable to play audio clip unsupported format" then it skipped to the start of the next chapter. Diagnostic report submitted here 198505440. Hope this helps to shed some light on the matter...
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
OK - I have started a new book and the same thing is happening - about 30 seconds from the end of a chapter the chapter just suddenly ends and the next one starts.
Now trying removing and re-adding Audible account to Sonos services.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
It still doing it with a new book and after re-adding audible service to sonos.
If I happen to have the Windows app open when it happens I get the message shown below briefly pop up at the exact point/time it truncates the chapter so this coincides with what OOD is experiencing (above post). This is all done using Alexa to start playback.
I also notice using either the latest Sonos Windows app or Sonos Android app I don't seem to be able to start any Audible book - I get message "Unable to Play the Selected item".
All seems pretty broken at the moment.

Did the diagnostic reports provide any additional information? If so, would it be useful to send additional reports?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
At the moment I may have a more basic Audible issue as Cloud Player does not work either - I am escalating to Audible
So at the moment pretty much most of audible is broken for me - does not playback at all now even through Amazon Echo. Audible support are escalating to back end as they have replicated my problem. Will update when I get further
Sonos posted in another thread that they're having an issue with their connection to Audible right now.
And here's that thread, in case you wanted to follow along at home.

https://en.community.sonos.com/music-services-and-sources-228994/audible-no-longer-works-6814243
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Thanks for info.
You're welcome. Just replied to you in another thread with the same info.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
OK - so Audible obviously had some outage somewhere - confused the hell out of me when I was trying to diagnose this issue.
So now I am back to working everywhere HOWEVER the original problem of truncating chapters is still present and I also notice that sometimes when resuming the next chapter it plays a couple of seconds and then jumps to the one after that, so missing a whole chapter out. Pretty messed up.
No need to post in multiple threads, one is sufficient.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Why has this thread been marked "Answered" - it has not been - the problem still exists! If it remains Answered I will just open another thread.
Because that's something the OP has the choice to do. I think moderators can as well, but the rest of us have no control over what is "answered" or not.

Opening a new thread is always wise. Be sure to include your diagnostic along with a full report of the symptoms you're experiencing.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Because that's something the OP has the choice to do. I think moderators can as well, but the rest of us have no control over what is "answered" or not.

Opening a new thread is always wise. Be sure to include your diagnostic along with a full report of the symptoms you're experiencing.

Thanks - will repost