Answered

Playback is skipping, and I can't switch from Boost to Standard

• 25 February 2018
  • 3 replies

I have one (old) Connect device connected via ethernet at one end of my house. It's been working great for years. I recently added two Play:1 devices at the other end of the house. They have to use wifi. I'll paste the configuration info below.

Sometimes the living room speakers are fine, but sometimes they skip a lot. I assume that has to do with a weak signal and/or interference. I started looking into configuration options.

As you can see from the WM:0 below, they are set up in "Boost" mode. I guess that means the two Play:1 devices at one end of the house are trying to connect through the Sonos network created by the Connect device at the other end. Is that right? If so I'm surprised they *ever* work because they are about four rooms apart. Seems like I should switch everything over to Standard and give that a try.

So I go to the control and open Manage | Settings | Advanced. I click the Wireless Setup button and go through the setup wizard. I get a message saying Sonos is now set up on my wireless network.

However when I open Help | About My Sonos System it still shows WM: 0. And the speakers still skip when I try to play them. And no Sonos devices are showing up in the controller for my Unifi AP. All of that leads me to believe that, in spite of the reassuring success message, the Sonos system is in fact still in Boost mode, and they are not in fact connected to my wifi.

Here are the things I can think of that may be hindering the switchover:

* The Connect device and the Players are near different access points, both broadcasting the same SSID. The devices are identical Unifi AC APs. Neither one is an extender. But one is configured as an uplink to the other. Is that a problem?

* The message that says Sonos is now set up on my wireless network also says I can disconnect any product wired to the router. I have not done that. Is that required?

CONNECT
Serial Number: 00-0E-58-A3-30-B8:7
Version: 8.3 (build 40549090)
Hardware Version: 1.16.5.5-1
IP Address: 192.168.1.49
WM: 0
OTP: 1.1.1(1-16-5-zp90-0.8)
---------------------------------
PLAY:1: Living Room (L)
Serial Number: 94-9F-3E-F5-BD-30:0
Hardware Version: 1.20.1.6-1
IP Address: 192.168.1.48
---------------------------------
PLAY:1: Living Room (R)
Serial Number: 78-28-CA-32-7C-48:6
Hardware Version: 1.20.1.6-1
IP Address: 192.168.1.47
icon

Best answer by Vinndalf 3 March 2018, 07:40

> Even after going through the wireless setup, if the CONNECT is still wired into the network it will stay in the BOOST configuration.

Ok, that's what I was missing. When I unplugged the CONNECT it did indeed switch to WM: 1, and the devices now show up on my wifi network. *And* they work much better.

I think the Play1s are too far from the Connect for the built-in Sonos wifi to work. The connect and the Play1's are now connected to different access points and they seem (so far anyway) much happier.

Thanks.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hey there, Vinndalf. Thanks for posting all the details. From what you've shared, it seems that your Sonos system is set up in the BOOST configuration. This is ideal compared to the standard wireless configuration, especially if you are using access points. This is because it allows Sonos to talk "speaker-to-speaker" rather than hopping through the network via access points. Even after going through the wireless setup, if the CONNECT is still wired into the network it will stay in the BOOST configuration.

We may be able to get a little more information with the help of a diagnostic report. Would you mind reconnecting the CONNECT to Ethernet and submitting a diagnostic report and replying with the confirmation number it gives at the end?

If you would like to go over this in real time with a technician, you can always give our support technicians a call to troubleshoot this in real time. They can also set up a remote session with you and get a closer look at the network and get you sorted.
> Even after going through the wireless setup, if the CONNECT is still wired into the network it will stay in the BOOST configuration.

Ok, that's what I was missing. When I unplugged the CONNECT it did indeed switch to WM: 1, and the devices now show up on my wifi network. *And* they work much better.

I think the Play1s are too far from the Connect for the built-in Sonos wifi to work. The connect and the Play1's are now connected to different access points and they seem (so far anyway) much happier.

Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Glad to hear it's sorted. If you run into any other problems, don't hesitate to reach out. I'll be happy to help in any way I can.