Playback cutting out

• 5 November 2018
  • 4 replies

Hi! I bought this system primarily for white noise, to play music and block out loud trucks and traffic. I live in a noisy industrial spot. The system works great, when it works... I bought one Play 1 and several Sonos 1's, and put the Play 1 in the master bedroom so that I could stream a white noise app from my phone using Airplay. I know the Sonos system is made more for music, but I needed something that worked through WiFi instead of Bluetooth, so that I wouldn't get woken up by phone calls in the middle of the night. The problem however is that since I've been using this speaker, I'm getting woken up every 2 hours or more throughout the night from the sound randomly stopping and starting back up. This is not a "loop" sound, it plays continuously, and works fine when played through Bluetooth speakers. I checked my WiFi signal, and near that particular speaker, I only had 2 bars. So, I purchased a WiFi signal extender and installed it, checked the new signal and had Excellent signal strength. Also connected an Ethernet cable as an attempt to get the best connection possible. I tested it by playing the same sound for over 3 hours during the day to see if it dropped out, and of course it didn't. It seems to be only an issue at night. I have also noticed when I'm playing music (day or night) the song will stop before it is over and go to a new song. I shouldn't have much wireless interference as all other devices around the speaker are turned off at night. Please help! Not sure what else to do! I'm ready to return all these speakers. I've submitted diagnostics under the confirmation # 1830650566.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

While we wait for a Sonos rep to come look at that diagnostic (which you ran within 10 minutes of the signal dropping out, right?), I've got a couple of comments, worth every penny (or pence?) you've paid for them.

FIrst, your potential for wifi interference isn't just your system, but systems around you, out of your control. It's entirely possible that somebody or some machine boots up periodically at night, and kills your local wifi signal. It's not just stuff in your house, unfortunately. Shoot, it could even be sunspots (much less likely, just trying to make a point).

Just in case, I'd still recommend that you review the wifi interference FAQ Perhaps it won't help, but perhaps it might trigger something, and cause you to change your wifi channel, for instance. Food for thought, at the least.

Secondly, it's possible that you've got duplicate IP address issues, which generally can't be seen by looking at a report, siince most reports on routers are "snapshots", not running data. Relatively quick and dirty fix to this is to unplug from power all Sonos devices, then reboot your router. When the router comes back up, plug in the devices, on at a time, allowing each enough time to fully boot up before moving on to the next. If this indeed does fix the issue, I'd recommend looking in to setting up reserved IP addresses in your router, which takes a little more knowledge, but ultimately is relatively easy.

Good luck!
Thank you, Airgetlam, for the feedback! Unfortunately in order to request diagnostic within 10 minutes of the signal dropping out, I would have to do it in the middle of the night (when I'm trying to sleep) but I will try to remember that next time. That is, if I even continue using the device at night. It seems useless for the intended purpose. My Wifi router is one that I lease from my internet provider, therefore to change channels, I have to get on the phone with them and it can take an hour just to get to a real live person. (Again, not exactly something I want to be doing at 2:30 in the morning.) Also, after spending nearly a grand on this system, it seems a little ridiculous to constantly be unplugging each speaker and resetting my router just to hope that it helps them work. Still regretting this purchase. Just thinking outside the box, is there something Sonos offers for sale to hard wire into the speaker and plug in to get the most out of my signal to that individual speaker?
Yea, the problem is that the diagnostic contains only about 10 or 15 minutes of data in it (I understand), so if it's not done within that time frame, it won't show the particular event that you're questioning. But it's entirely possible that it will show something in other areas about your wifi network, so I'd go ahead and doing it.

As I said, repeatedly resetting your network isn't a requirement, but a test to see if that's the issue your experiencing. If that does indeed fix it, I'd recommend setting up reserved IP addresses, as your router (like mine) might be easily confused and lose track.

The Sonos system, since it relies on wifi, is only as good as the backbone it is on. Your expense is irrelevant to how well they work. As a simile, think of buying a $500,000 Ferrari, and putting diesel fuel in it...or running it on unpaved roads. Sure, it's a great car, but it requires other things to be "just so" in order for it to operate properly.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi! I bought this system primarily for white noise, to play music and block out loud trucks and traffic. I live in a noisy industrial spot. The system works great, when it works... I bought one Play 1 and several Sonos 1's, and put the Play 1 in the master bedroom so that I could stream a white noise app from my phone using Airplay. I know the Sonos system is made more for music, but I needed something that worked through WiFi instead of Bluetooth, so that I wouldn't get woken up by phone calls in the middle of the night. The problem however is that since I've been using this speaker, I'm getting woken up every 2 hours or more throughout the night from the sound randomly stopping and starting back up. This is not a "loop" sound, it plays continuously, and works fine when played through Bluetooth speakers. I checked my WiFi signal, and near that particular speaker, I only had 2 bars. So, I purchased a WiFi signal extender and installed it, checked the new signal and had Excellent signal strength. Also connected an Ethernet cable as an attempt to get the best connection possible. I tested it by playing the same sound for over 3 hours during the day to see if it dropped out, and of course it didn't. It seems to be only an issue at night. I have also noticed when I'm playing music (day or night) the song will stop before it is over and go to a new song. I shouldn't have much wireless interference as all other devices around the speaker are turned off at night. Please help! Not sure what else to do! I'm ready to return all these speakers. I've submitted diagnostics under the confirmation # 1830650566.

Hi there,

Your diagnostic report came through without any information as it was sent when your controller was not in communication with your Sonos system. This guide should help you get your controller reconnected to your Sonos system.

Once you can see your Sonos speakers in the app, please try submitting a new diagnostic report and reply here with the confirmation number, I'll check it out for you.