Playback cuts out. Songs changing randomly.

New wifi network. Set up Sonos on the new network. Playback from Spotify, Tunein, turntable through Connect cuts out intermittently. Play back from iPhone and Spotify changes songs randomly in the middle of play back. Installed a Boost, no improvement.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
So you have boost plugged into router. And keep it a few feet from the router. What channel is your router on and what channel is Sonosnet on. Check sonosnet channel under Sonos app settings advanced. Use 1 6 or 11 channels only with your home router using one and Sonos One of others.
Done all that. Same issue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
New wifi network. Set up Sonos on the new network. Playback from Spotify, Tunein, turntable through Connect cuts out intermittently. Play back from iPhone and Spotify changes songs randomly in the middle of play back. Installed a Boost, no improvement.

Hi Ted64,

I'd like to take a look at a diagnostic report from your system. Please send in a report then reply here with the confirmation number.
The same thing happens! It will be fine for awhile then it starts a song and then 30 seconds into it- it goes to another song. I am playing off of my iPhone 7 Plus.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
The same thing happens! It will be fine for awhile then it starts a song and then 30 seconds into it- it goes to another song. I am playing off of my iPhone 7 Plus.

HI there,

At this time there will be playback issues if you are playing from the storage on an iOS device and you have non-Sonos AirPlay devices active on your network. You can either disable AirPlay on non-Sonos device, or disable auto lock on your iOS device in its settings menu under display and brightness.

Your best option is to offload your music library to a NAS drive or computer, and then set up a music share. This will allow you to use any controller to play your music library even if you have non-Sonos AirPlay devices active and your iOS device goes to sleep or offline.
Same issue from my iPad. Conf #288133393
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi there,

The report won't help. If you are playing from the storage on your iOS device it will not work properly unless you disable AirPlay on any non-Sonos AirPlay device on your network, or disable auto lock on your iOS device.

You should offload your music library to a NAS drive or computer, and then set up a music share. This will allow you to use any controller to play your music library even if you have non-Sonos AirPlay devices active and your iOS device goes to sleep or offline.

Hi there,

The report won't help. If you are playing from the storage on your iOS device it will not work properly unless you disable AirPlay on any non-Sonos AirPlay device on your network, or disable auto lock on your iOS device.

You should offload your music library to a NAS drive or computer, and then set up a music share. This will allow you to use any controller to play your music library even if you have non-Sonos AirPlay devices active and your iOS device goes to sleep or offline.

I added the Desktop App on my Mac. When I try to link My Music Library, I get an error that says "Sonos was unable to add the music folder." What now?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi there,

I added the Desktop App on my Mac. When I try to link My Music Library, I get an error that says "Sonos was unable to add the music folder." What now?

Is that the full error? Most of the time the issue is a firewall or antivirus program on your computer preventing the share. See here for instructions on configuring your firewall for Sonos.

If that doesn't help, please submit a new diagnostic report and reply with the confirmation number.
No firewall or antivirus issues. Here is the full error.

"Sonos was unable to add the music folder

Unable to add the shared folder "//howard-gobers-mac-mini/Music" to your Music Library (1002)."

I turned off Air Play on my Apple TV. I still have the problem with cutting off songs. I ran another diagnostic with Confirmation Number 890593092.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
No firewall or antivirus issues. Here is the full error.

"Sonos was unable to add the music folder

Unable to add the shared folder "//howard-gobers-mac-mini/Music" to your Music Library (1002)."

I turned off Air Play on my Apple TV. I still have the problem with cutting off songs. I ran another diagnostic with Confirmation Number 890593092.

That error generally means that the connection between your Sonos system and computer took too long. Also, if you have no AirPlay devices enabled, and you have audio interruptions whens treaming from an iOS device, it usually means that the wireless connection between your iOS device and network is weak or is getting hit with wireless interference. The communication between your Sonos units looks okay, they're running in Boost mode, so they are not using your router's wireless network.

I'd recommend changing the wireless channel your router is using to reduce potential interference from nearby wireless signals. It may also help to look around your router and computer for any third party wireless electronics which could cause interference, such as cordless phones, wireless cameras, or wireless baby monitors.
I do not know how to change the channel on a Century Link Router. The only third part wireless device in the vicinity of the computer is my Apple Time Machine. No other of the devices you mention. Also, my computer is plugged directly into the router with a network cable as is my Boost. This is really frustrating.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I do not know how to change the channel on a Century Link Router. The only third part wireless device in the vicinity of the computer is my Apple Time Machine. No other of the devices you mention. Also, my computer is plugged directly into the router with a network cable as is my Boost. This is really frustrating.

In that case there is likely some network congestion or other issue causing the communication to break down. It would be best to have our phone team troubleshoot this live. Please give us a call, our phone number and hours are found here.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings