Question

Playback cuts out on Mac

Hi all,

Just set up my Sonos Play:1, I've copied my iTunes library to the Sonos app (Mac user) and when i play songs it keeps cutting out mid-play. It doesn't seem to be linked to the Mac book going to sleep as the radio app works very well.

any ideas?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi all,

Just set up my Sonos Play:1, I've copied my iTunes library to the Sonos app (Mac user) and when i play songs it keeps cutting out mid-play. It doesn't seem to be linked to the Mac book going to sleep as the radio app works very well.

any ideas?

Hi Rich220,

When your Sonos system plays music from an online source, such as TuneIn radio, your computer does not need to be awake or even powered on. When your system plays music stored on your computer, however, the computer does need to be powered on and awake.

If your computer is powered on and awake, there are other things which might cause audio interruptions, such as wireless interference. To see what is causing this behavior, I would like to take a look at a diagnostic report from your system. Please send a report in after you have a song cut out, then reply with the confirmation number, here's how.
Yep. This keeps happening to me too. Even when power saver is not set to sleep. I've submitted my diagnostic: 6979116
Can I use my macbook as a Speaker?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Yep. This keeps happening to me too. Even when power saver is not set to sleep. I've submitted my diagnostic: 6979116

Hi christaylor63,

Your Sonos system is looking for a computer name which is different than that of your computer. The music share in Sonos is looking for a computer whose name ends in "MacBook-Air." While your computer's name ends in "Air."

This guide should help you get your computer's name fixed and that should help get the music share working again.
Thanks Jeff. I've done all that but the problem still persists. Diagnostics: 6980071.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks Jeff. I've done all that but the problem still persists. Diagnostics: 6980071.

Please try renaming your computer to something less than 15 characters, with no special characters. Then, remove the music share in Sonos and try to add it again.
I have renamed my computer. It's still happening. Seems to cut out after 2 minutes (which is when the screen is set to dim - even though it's set not to put the hard disc to sleep).
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have renamed my computer. It's still happening. Seems to cut out after 2 minutes (which is when the screen is set to dim - even though it's set not to put the hard disc to sleep).

Please try changing the settings so that your computer doesn't go to sleep or turn the monitor off, does the playback continue?
Yes. As long as "Turn monitor off" is set to "Never" the music continues uninterrupted. (But of course this burns up the battery faster.) Is there a work-around?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Do you have the boxed checked for "Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off?"
Yes - but that box only appears on the "Power Adapter" tab. It's fine when plugged in. It only cuts out when on battery power (i.e. when the display switches off).
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
We wouldn't recommend keeping your computer as a music source while not attached to power.
I'd certainly agree with Jeff S on that one. Keeping a hard drive spinning for long periods of time is a power hungry operation. When doing normal stuff on your Mac, it wouldn't be spinning all the time, but when you're accessing music, it would be significantly more operational stress.
It's a macbook air - so no hard drive.
Well, not a spinning one, but still a HD in SSD form. And Apple hasn't changed their OS to recognize the difference in terms of power usage, otherwise you'd see the box on the "Battery" tab.
There seems to be a software glitch here - the display switching off seems to stop the music.