Playback/Connectivity Issues on WiFi?

• 3 August 2018
  • 5 replies

Hi all - I signed up for this forum as I'm looking for specific help on this matter and have been unable to reach Sonos by phone. I opened up a diagnostic report with the number 1609132396, though I'm unclear as to how exactly this will help if allegedly no one at Sonos will talk to me. My system operates as follows:

2 x Sonos Play:1 speakers paired in "party mode" where they both play the same thing at once.
Dell Windows 10 machine.
Sonos accesses my iTunes library on my computer - MOST are m4a files or whatever buggers iTunes prefers.
Controlled mostly via the Sonos Controller on Windows, though occasionally through the Apple and Android Sonos apps.

The whole system is just jumpy right now and behaves very erratically. If I try to "scrub" a song by adjusting the playback location in the slider bar, the song will freeze and either a) jump to the next track, b) give me a "Unable to play the selected item" error, give me a "Song is not encoded correctly" error, c) freeze the entire Sonos Controller, or d) otherwise start jumping things around as if the system is having a seizure.

I would be very surprised if there was some "network interference" issue, as I double-checked every device that uses my wireless network, and none are on the same IP address.

So far, I have tried the following:
Disconnecting/reconnecting speakers.
Connecting speakers to my modem via Cat5, and re-pairing to WiFi.
Changing "SonosNet" settings to different channels.
Changing my wireless network settings to different channels.
Making sure Sonos is up to date.

NOT using any streaming service - Apple Music, Spotify, etc.
I did NOT make any changes to my system since setting up my new computer. It has worked without the slightest problem for 2 years and now this "mysteriously" happens.
NOT willing to deal with "did you try restarting your system" responses on here.
NOT willing to wait on hold for an hour with tech support only to speak with someone overseas that I can't understand.

Would it be of any interest to me if I wiped Sonos entirely from every device I own, re-installed, and started again from the ground up?

I would be delighted if someone at Sonos tech support would just call me and walk me though whatever's need to fix this, but their hours of operation are not convenient and I was informed hold times are "over an hour" when I tried to call this morning. It's disappointing when a $300 system suddenly decides to quit functioning and no one appears to want to help fix it...please advise!!

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi all - I signed up for this forum as I'm looking for specific help on this matter and have been unable to reach Sonos by phone. I opened up a diagnostic report with the number 1609132396, though I'm unclear as to how exactly this will help if allegedly no one at Sonos will talk to me. My system operates as follows:

2 x Sonos Play:1 speakers paired in "party mode" where they both play the same thing at once.
Dell Windows 10 machine.
Sonos accesses my iTunes library on my computer - MOST are m4a files or whatever buggers iTunes prefers.
Controlled mostly via the Sonos Controller on Windows, though occasionally through the Apple and Android Sonos apps.

The whole system is just jumpy right now and behaves very erratically. If I try to "scrub" a song by adjusting the playback location in the slider bar, the song will freeze and either a) jump to the next track, b) give me a "Unable to play the selected item" error, give me a "Song is not encoded correctly" error, c) freeze the entire Sonos Controller, or d) otherwise start jumping things around as if the system is having a seizure.

I would be very surprised if there was some "network interference" issue, as I double-checked every device that uses my wireless network, and none are on the same IP address.

So far, I have tried the following:
Disconnecting/reconnecting speakers.
Connecting speakers to my modem via Cat5, and re-pairing to WiFi.
Changing "SonosNet" settings to different channels.
Changing my wireless network settings to different channels.
Making sure Sonos is up to date.

NOT using any streaming service - Apple Music, Spotify, etc.
I did NOT make any changes to my system since setting up my new computer. It has worked without the slightest problem for 2 years and now this "mysteriously" happens.
NOT willing to deal with "did you try restarting your system" responses on here.
NOT willing to wait on hold for an hour with tech support only to speak with someone overseas that I can't understand.

Would it be of any interest to me if I wiped Sonos entirely from every device I own, re-installed, and started again from the ground up?

I would be delighted if someone at Sonos tech support would just call me and walk me though whatever's need to fix this, but their hours of operation are not convenient and I was informed hold times are "over an hour" when I tried to call this morning. It's disappointing when a $300 system suddenly decides to quit functioning and no one appears to want to help fix it...please advise!!

Hi there,

Welcome to the community. Strangely enough, I don't see any errors in your diagnostic report. It sounds like there's some sort of network communication issue going on between your Sonos units, network and controller. Was this report sent in immediately after the issues you've described?

Also, you mention that you're not able to get in touch with support. What method did you try? We have a few different types of free support available. Our phone team has the most tools available and we have local numbers in many regions. You can find our number and hours here. We also have 24/7 support available through Twitter and Facebook.
Thank you Jeff for your prompt response but it leaves my question largely unanswered. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "not seeing any errors in my diagnostic report?" I'm also not sure what could have prompted a connectivity issue.

Could this be the problem I'm experiencing?
https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/unable-to-play-the-song-is-not-encoded-correctly-6808531

As for reaching out to support - I don't see any local numbers listed under that link you sent me other than a main 800 number. When I try to call, there is always an extended hold time and the hours are not convenient as I am located in a different time zone and also work during the week (when phone support is available). I have also not received any responses to my email inquiry. How does "Facebook support" work, exactly?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thank you Jeff for your prompt response but it leaves my question largely unanswered. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "not seeing any errors in my diagnostic report?" I'm also not sure what could have prompted a connectivity issue.

Could this be the problem I'm experiencing?
https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/unable-to-play-the-song-is-not-encoded-correctly-6808531

As for reaching out to support - I don't see any local numbers listed under that link you sent me other than a main 800 number. When I try to call, there is always an extended hold time and the hours are not convenient as I am located in a different time zone and also work during the week (when phone support is available). I have also not received any responses to my email inquiry. How does "Facebook support" work, exactly?

A diagnostic report shows the logs from your Sonos components and from your controller. In your diagnostic report I saw no errors reported. Generally, when there is a playback error, a log is created. This is why it might be best to work with our phone team. It can get busy at times, especially later in the day. You can message us on Twitter, or message us on our Facebook page.
Got through to a lovely technician this afternoon (Kyle, I want to say?) who was able to access my computer via TeamViewer and point me in the right direction. I was relieved to hear that this IS a known issue of which Sonos is actively working on fixing now - unfortunately, something in the recent Sonos 9 update is preventing ALL Windows computers from playing m4a/AAC files in iTunes (which is exactly where my music is stored). He was able to spot this almost immediately.

He then copied a bunch of diagnostic information and error logs and sent them along to the senior support staff, of which will be most helpful for them in identifying the exact problem.

For now, a very reasonable workaround is to copy music files to my iPhone, and then access "On This Device" in the Sonos app. Everything plays perfectly via this medium.

I can highly recommend Sonos Customer Support for anyone who wishes/needs to call them - the long hold time was well worth it for me. If anyone wants to reach out to me directly for assistance on the above scenario, feel free to do so at websitecontact@wilsonalness.com.
Badge
Looks like this is impacting more than a few users. Any status updates on this?
If Sonos is indicating that something in the recent Sonos 9 update is preventing ALL Windows computers from playing m4a/AAC files in iTunes I would assume there would be a fix in the CI/CD pipeline.....any updates from a Sonos employee would be helpful as this is preventing the Sonos system from operating the way it did prior to the version 9 update.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings