Play5 stopped connecting to wifi

My Play5 suddenly stopped connecting to my wifi network this weekend. I have 4 Sonos speakers (2 Play1's, 1 Play3 and 1 Play5) all connected to my wifi. The other three speakers are still connecting to my wifi and working properly. I can get the Play5 to work if I connect an ethernet cable directly to it from the router, but once I pull the ethernet out, it is unable to connect again to my wifi network. I have an Eero system in my house for wifi. I have tried unplugging the Play5 + my cable modem + my Eero in all sorts of combinations and nothing is working. Please help!

16 replies

Factory default the play 5 and re-add to the system. Unplug power from the Play5 > press and hold pause and vol+ > re-plug power > when light flashes amber release the buttons. Set up "new" player in app.
The speaker will not reset. It is a Play5 gen 2, I have tried plugging it in while holding the connect button and eventually the light flashes Amber, but does not turn green.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You shouldn't need to reset if its working when plugged in via Ethernet.

Lets try to force get it to reset wifi credentials. While plugged into Ethernet and working. Go to settings...advanced...wifi settings. Re-enter all your wifi info. Then unplug when done from power and Ethernet. Plug back in power and give it about 5 minutes to boot up and adjust. Then does it show up back in controller.

If it doesn't I'm a little concerned about its wireless card and you may need to call Sonos on phone.
I finally did manage to get the factory reset to work and I have the flashing green light. But when I go to re-add the speaker using the app, I get to the step where I push the "connect" button and I get the chime, but then a flashing orange light that turns to a solid orange light. Am I hosed?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Ok what I would do if you got it factory reset with the flashing green light.

Hook one of the working Play:1s to your router and bring up system. Hook the Play:5 to router as well. Then try to add it back. Once added back for safety sake goto settings...advanced... wifi setup. Setup wifi again then unplug all. Put where they belong and boot them up they hopefully are good.
Was this issue resolved. I am having the exact same issue.

I have a playbase and sub connected via Ethernet and a play one working wirelessly (on Sonos mesh). However my play 5 gen2 stoped working wirelessly and will only work and connect via Ethernet. Going into advanced WiFi settings before disconnecting the play 5 from wired network does not help? The led turns orange when I try to connect wirelessly.
I'm having the EXACT same issue. My Play5 2nd gen has been working flawlessly for almost two years, and then all of a sudden it won't connect, doesn't show up in app, etc. I've tried all of the above: resetting, adding to router, etc. As soon as it's pulled out of the router, it doesn't show up. Does anyone have a solution?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Hook it to the router, submit a diagnostic after 10 minutes and call Sonos.
Hey all - reviewing threads and seeing what I can do prior to reaching out to Sonos. I have literally the exact same issue as noted above. 4 Sonos speakers, the 2nd Gen Play 5 just disappeared from my eero. Did a factory reset and repair to the network by connecting hardwired to my eero. It worked whilst hardwired but the moment it was unconnected to use wi-fi, nothing.

Was anyone able to resolve this? What was the solution Sonos provided?

Thanks all!
Same exact issue in two different houses with two different Play 5 gen 2. All the sudden, they stop showing up on wireless and trying to reconnect via Ethernet says that it’s all set up, but after disconnecting from Ethernet, missing again.
In both cases, connect them with the ethernet cable, and then submit a system diagnostic and make note of the resulting diagnostic number. Once you have both, contact Sonos Support to discuss it.

It would be stunning to me if both of them were experiencing a hardware fault, but it's not impossible. Only Sonos would be able to see that in the diagnostic, since the rest of us don't get access to that data.
I can tell you that in the diagnostic for mine, my wireless card was not working. It would seem to me that there might be enough of these to warrant it being something they might want to get in front of if they can. This is multiple Play:5s doing the same thing.

Happily mine was under warranty and the new one already installed.
In both cases, connect them with the ethernet cable, and then submit a system diagnostic and make note of the resulting diagnostic number. Once you have both, contact Sonos Support to discuss it.

It would be stunning to me if both of them were experiencing a hardware fault, but it's not impossible. Only Sonos would be able to see that in the diagnostic, since the rest of us don't get access to that data.

I’ll give that a shot, thx

Can anyone on this thread give an update? Was this ever resolved? I have the same issue, but am trying to figure out if I want to haul my Play 5 upstairs to wire it into my router, given that doesn’t seem to have helped other folks, or just wait to hear more back from Sonos… I guess I can’t believe that with a lot of folks having this, there isn’t a clear “here’s what to do” somewhere (that I can find).

The “Here’s how to submit a diagnostic, and then you should contact Sonos” is the “what to do”. That both helps determine if there’s a hardware failure, and gets you started on a replacement process if there is, or a “here’s how to fix your particular issue’ if it isn’t a hardware issue. 

I am having the same EXACT issue with my gen 1 Play 5.  It gradually was giving me issues connecting to Wi-Fi and now will not connect wirelessly at all but works fine directly connected to router.  As soon as I disconnect from router it does not work and does not see ANY Wi-fi network, not just my home network.  Sonos says the wireless card is fine after sending multiple diagnostics to them.  They thought maybe IOS and Mac Catalina were somehow blocking Sonos from connecting to Wi-Fi but Apple quick shot that down since the Sonos does not see any Wi-Fi networks nearby.  Has anyone figured out a fix for this problem?  I’ve been troubleshooting this for 3 days with Sonos, Apple, and on my own.  I’ve had a Sonos bridge attached for years but Sonos told me to remove it since it was not needed, as soon as I moved it, the bridge died and does not power on at all.  Sonos says the bridge was needed years ago when WI-Fi wasn't as strong as it is today.