Play5, Gen1: dead

• 16 December 2021
  • 11 replies

Dear all,

My Play5 gen 1 (2015) has NEVER been reliable. As a result, i just stood there for the past years, using it maybe a couple of times per year.

As I would like to use this otherwise nice piece of equipment (the hardware is ok), I wanted to reconnect it to my wifi and start using it more. Sadly, the white LED keeps blinking and no other actions seem to be possible. I cannot connect to it, I cannot reset it, … nothing!

Please tell me if there is a way out of this. Is this a bricked device? Can I do a reset somehow?

Sad that a company with a big name is not able to make this Play5 more stable.

Cheers,

Tijs

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Are you able to connect it to your router with an ethernet cable, a flashing white light means it can't connect via wi-fi.

Thanks for your help!

Sadly no…. straight connection to the router with an network kabel does not making the device visible. LED keeps on blinking as well.

Can I reset it somehow? 

Tijs

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks for your help!

Sadly no…. straight connection to the router with an network kabel does not making the device visible. LED keeps on blinking as well.

Can I reset it somehow? 

Did you power down your Play:5 when connected with Ethernet?

No, but I’m doing so now:  a reboot (disconnect + reconnect power cord) with the LAN cable connected

No result/change :(

Tijs

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

What device are you running the App on?  Can you confirm that you are using the S1 App?

Sonos S1  on an android phone (Oneplus 8 pro with ANdroid 11).

Sonos connected through a lan kabel, phone connected to same router, albeit wirelessly.

No device found….. Also, manual reset does not work. LED keeps on blinking white only.

Very odd….or is this a common problem?

Tijs

Also tried with an IPAD, no result either….the thing is pretty useless. Shall I throw it out of the window?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I wonder if the network card has failed, as a flashing white light signifies no network connection: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/226?language=en_US

One more thing to check is to reboot your router and retry.

If that doesn’t work, I suggest that you contact Sonos support as they have more diagnostic tools at their disposal.

Thanks UKMedia! Great help you provided!

I’ll see if I can call them, not expecting much of course.

Enjoy the rest of your day!

Tijs

Just had a very pleasant chat with the helpdesk. Reason of the issue could be the new WIFI system in the house to which the SONOS cannot connect. Solution would be to perform a reset, but the SONOS refuses to do that as well.

They offered me an RMA procedure which would allow me to switch to a Play5 Gen2 but with a significant cost still. Also, I could to ‘upgrade’ and buy something else with 30% off. I think even with 30% they are all very expensive versus competition and will not do that either.

I have another BOSE speaker which works briliantly and I have the idea that they are better value too.

Thanks,

Tijs

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Just had a very pleasant chat with the helpdesk. Reason of the issue could be the new WIFI system in the house to which the SONOS cannot connect. Solution would be to perform a reset, but the SONOS refuses to do that as well.

They offered me an RMA procedure which would allow me to switch to a Play5 Gen2 but with a significant cost still. Also, I could to ‘upgrade’ and buy something else with 30% off. I think even with 30% they are all very expensive versus competition and will not do that either.

I have another BOSE speaker which works briliantly and I have the idea that they are better value too.

Thanks,

Tijs

Just to confirm, you’ve followed these steps: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1096?language=en_US