Answered

Play1 No Longer Recognizes Music Library After S2 Update

• 24 January 2021
  • 17 replies

Badge

I updated to the S2 app on mobile and laptop and now I can’t play anything that isn’t streaming through Spotify. And the only reason I can do that is bc I do it through Spotify Connect NOT the S2 app. What are my options here? There’s absolutely nothing wrong on my end, I’ve already tried the general troubleshooting steps and the fact that the Sonos player works through a non-Sonos application indicates the app is the problem. 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 1 March 2021, 13:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @tcaiazza.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community, We appreciate your time and effort in posting your concern here in our community.

Make sure all speakers are updated properly and compatible with the S2 application.

I’d also be tempted to do a network refresh, by unplugging all Sonos devices, then rebooting the router. When the router comes back up, plug back in the Sonos devices wait for 1-2 minutes, and test it again

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Badge

Thanks for your response but as I said in my initial message I have conducted all of the troubleshooting you mentioned and that indicates there’s a problem with the app. What I would like to know is whether there’s a way to fix this with the current app or to downgrade back to the original app?

Where is the local music library stored?

Badge

The music library is stored on my laptop. But I am unable to even play anything that is synced to my phone via iTunes either.  

You can’t play anything directly off an iPhone to Sonos. That facility was withdrawn ages ago because the removal of operating system support made it unreliable.

Do you have the Sonos controller installed on your laptop? I don’t know about Macs, but on Windows the Sonos controller is required as it also installs a service for accessing music library files.

Badge

What is the difference between the S2 app and the Sonos Controller? I’ve only ever had one application for Sonos and it has always worked. 

The words ‘app’ and ‘controller’ are synonymous in the case of Sonos. 

What operating system does the laptop use? Does it have a Sonos app/controller installed?

Badge

I’m on Mac OS Mojave and I have the S2 app downloaded. It loads and I can play Spotify through it but nothing that exists on my laptop. 

I’m not familiar with the workings of macOS. What happens if you try to (re-)add the iTunes library library to Sonos?

Badge

I get the same message about not being able to connect to iTunes

Someone who uses macOS and iTunes needs to comment. 

@tcaiazza, Does the following make any difference?

1. Open System Preferences on your Mac.
  2. Click on Security > Privacy.
  3. Under the Privacy tab, click on Full Disk Access.
  4. Check the box next to Sonos Library Server.
  5. Open the Sonos app.
  6. Update your music library by going to Manage > Update Music Library Now.

Navigate back to Music Library menu under the Select a Music Source section, and you will now be able to browse your library.

Badge

Thank you for your help!

Badge

@Smilja Thanks for reaching out. I don’t have “Sonos Library Server” as an option for this. Perhaps that’s part of the problem?

@Smilja Thanks for reaching out. I don’t have “Sonos Library Server” as an option for this. Perhaps that’s part of the problem?

The music files stored on your laptop, are these purchased tracks or albums? Have you tried removing the file share and set it up anew?

1. Open the Sonos app for macOS or Windows.
  2. From the Manage menu, select Music Library Settings.
  3. Click + (plus) on macOS, or Add if you are using Windows.
  4. If you use iTunes or are not sure where your music is stored, select My Music folder. If your music is not located in the My Music folder, select the appropriate option.
  5. Type in your computer’s password if prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete adding your music library. Depending on the size of your music library, it may take several minutes to index.
Badge

Sadly that did not work. Thank you though! The library settings already indicate that it has access to both my itunes and to the my music folder. the songs show up in the app but when you try to play it says it cannot connect to the itunes folder where that song lives. This only started happening when I upgraded. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @tcaiazza, thanks for your post.

Are you still having an issue with this?

Please uninstall the Sonos app from your Mac, download it from our downloads page and reinstall it. Once installed, repeat the steps described above by @Smilja :

1. Open System Preferences on your Mac.
  2. Click on Security > Privacy.
  3. Under the Privacy tab, click on Full Disk Access.
  4. Check the box next to Sonos Library Server.
  5. Open the Sonos app.
  6. Update your music library by going to Manage > Update Music Library Now.

Navigate back to Music Library menu under the Select a Music Source section, and you will now be able to browse your library.

1. Open the Sonos app for macOS or Windows.
  2. From the Manage menu, select Music Library Settings.
  3. Click + (plus) on macOS, or Add if you are using Windows.
  4. If you use iTunes or are not sure where your music is stored, select My Music folder. If your music is not located in the My Music folder, select the appropriate option.
  5. Type in your computer’s password if prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete adding your music library. Depending on the size of your music library, it may take several minutes to index.

Though please remove any existing entries in Music Library Settings with the “-" button before adding.

If this doesn’t help, please get in touch with our technical support team who will be able to get exact error codes from your system and address them specifically.