Question

Play/One - problem setting up

• 30 January 2021
  • 1 reply

I have two Sonos Play speakers which worked perfectly well on the original app.

I received a Sonos One as a present.

I realise that you can’t have all three grouped.

When I tried to setup the One using the original app it said I had to use the new app as the old app didn’t support the new speakers.

I did this but before I could really do anything the new app detected the Play speakers and said I had to use the original app.

I can’t do anything with the original app though because that also detects the new One.

I just go round in circles.

I have ended up switching the two Play speakers off and deleting the original app but this now means I can only use the One with the new app.

I don’t mind not being able to group them into one system but is there any way I can have two systems? The original Play as one and the new One with the new app.

Its so frustrating.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @MuddyPaws

​Welcome to the Sonos community and for letting us know about your concern. Let me share some information with you.

Yes, it's possible to have 2 existing systems by using the S1 app for old products and the S2 app for the new products. Your Sonos One is compatible with both S1 and S2 systems. You can downgrade your Sonos products to S1 if you have at least one Sonos product running in the S1 system. If you want to control your Sonos using the S1 app, you need to factory reset your Sonos One and add it to your S1 system. If your Sonos speakers in the S1 system be like Play 1, Play 3, or Play 5 (Gen 2), they can be upgraded to the S2 system.

Using the System Compatibility Check in the S1 app, you can remove the speakers and update to the new app.

• Ask the customer to open their S1 app
  • Head to Settings > System > System Tools > System Compatibility Check and complete the prompts to stay on S1.

Let us know how you get on with the advice above. In case you run into any issue during the setup, please submit a diagnostic report and include the confirmation number in your response for us to check. We’ll wait for your reply.

If you have any further questions or concerns, we'll be glad to assist you.