Answered

Play One loss of (some) bass?

• 18 April 2018
  • 6 replies

My Play One was in the middle of playing a song and the amount of bass changed drastically in the middle of the song. I thought maybe it was just me, so I started playing around with other songs and while there is some bass, it seems like I am missing some. Playing with the EQ just made it worse, so I put everything back on default, but still just does not quite sound right, but I can't exactly put my finger on it. Any ideas?
icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 19 April 2018, 10:28

You may have an electrical issue inside the Sonos or a bad speaker, call Sonos and get it sorted out and a replacement unit sent if that is what is needed.
View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hi adamfritzsche

A few questions. Are you playing music stored on your device, from a Sonos play list, streaming service or any combination of the aforementioned? FYI, In a wireless environment a drop-out may occur from time to time; but it should be a rarity. Please post back.

Cheers!
I am streaming from both Amazon & Spotify, does not seem to make a difference. The Sonos is about 5 feet away from one of my access points, so it should have a good signal. It has been a constant thing for about 2 hours of playing now. It seems like its almost a frequency cut off of bass or maybe if bass came from a left & right speaker and now its only playing through one.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I am streaming from both Amazon & Spotify, does not seem to make a difference. The Sonos is about 5 feet away from one of my access points, so it should have a good signal. It has been a constant thing for about 2 hours of playing now. It seems like its almost a frequency cut off of bass or maybe if bass came from a left & right speaker and now its only playing through one.

Hi Again

I thought the issue might be with a streaming service. I can't say for certain but before we blame the speaker(s) we need to explore your network and AP's. Is Sonos connecting thru a range extender or a Mesh network? If a Mesh (i.e. Google Wi-Fi or Velop etc) Sonos needs to be on the main unit and not one of the satellites. If a range extender the subnets must be identical to the Main router to prevent hopping.

We could discuss this back and forth with try this and try that. Sometimes it's a simple fix and sometimes not. Your best option is to submit a Diagnostic and post the Reference ID in this forum. By doing so a Sonos staff member can take a look at your network and more often than not tell you where the problem lies and suggest a course of action to fix things. Worse case scenario it's a defective speaker although I have my doubts.:?

One thing you can try is to delete your music services and the Sonos App and re-install them (Sonos App first) to see if that helps. However, I would still submit the diagnostic. You might wait until April 19th as Sonos was down for maintenance today April 18th. FYI, once you submit the diagnostic do not make any changes to your network as you want to maintain the current state for reference purposes.

Barring a suggestion from another community member that's my advice. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance. Good luck to get things sorted.

Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
You may have an electrical issue inside the Sonos or a bad speaker, call Sonos and get it sorted out and a replacement unit sent if that is what is needed.
HI Adam,

Can I ask if you managed to sort this out? I'm experiencing the same problem.

Cheers
With respect to communication issues, wired or wireless, the music will play or not play. Poor communication will not impede one frequency band over another.Likely there is a hardware or software fault. If this caused by a software fault, I expect that there would be legions of complaints. Be sure to check the EQ settings to see if they have changed.

Also be aware that position in the room can have a significant effect on bass. If the speaker has been moved, even a few inches, bass can vary.