Play:5 w/ line-in issues (volume related)

• 6 March 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge

Hey everyone. I have a problem. I uss two Play:5's hooked up to a Shield TV (Android TV box). 

When I play something it generally works flawlessly, but sometimes it just doesn't play the audio (when I check the app it also shows that the speakers are paused -- if I unpause the sound resumes). Sometimes when I resume a movie it works, sometime if doesn't (without changing a single thing -- strange!). This is very annoying when f.e. watching a movie and having to find your phone, open the Sonos app and manually click on play. 

I use a USB DAC (Creative X-fi 5.1).

-Autoplay is turned on (off has no effect)

-DAC>Input cable is of good quality and only 60cm long

-Adjusting source level doesn't seem to make a difference

Please, suggestions. Frustrating problem. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I am not sure why are you annoyed. Sonos make speakers designed for TVs and the Play:5 isn't one of them. I would have no expectations about how it would and should behave when used like this. That would not have featured in the design decisions. 

Badge

It's just another output device. 

But thanks a ton for contributing John! 

Userlevel 7

It's just another output device. 

But thanks a ton for contributing John! 

Obviously, you weren't pleased with the reply from @John B .

However, he is spot on in saying the Play:5(s) are NOT designed for the way in which you are trying to use them. The Play:5 is designed to accept audio via a 3.5mm Line-In. I don’t use Shield TV as you call it; but none of the photos I’ve seen show a Line-Out (either for 3.5mm to 3.5mm or RCA to 3.5mm). 

That said, how ever you are getting audio to the Play:5 (from the Shield TV) is a one-off. Therefore, you can’t expect consistent audio output by the Play:5. If your Shield TV has audio outputs not shown online please provide pictures. 

While the play:5 isn’t designed for TV, the autotplay for aux input should be working.  It could be that there is an issue with your play:5, and Sonos support can help you with that, or it could be that your Shield isn’t sending audio to the USB DAC, or the USB DAC isn’t sending audio to your play:5.

If you have another non-Sonos speaker with an aux input, I would hook that up and see if the issue goes away.  If it does, then it’s an issue with Sonos, and support should be able to help.  If it still occurs, then it’s the Shield or DAC.  Is there a way you can confirm the DAC is getting a signal from the Shield?  Have you looked at support for Nvidia or Creative to see if anyone else has reported this issue?