Question

Play:5 v2 stereo pair with line-in = intermittent drop outs

• 21 December 2016
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
I have two of the new Play:5 v2 setup in a stereo pair with line-in from my MacBook Pro. Almost everytime one of the speakers drops out every now and then. It happens to both speakers so the sound moves over back and fourth, very annoying.
Upgrading to v7 didn't help.

I have another pair of Play:5 v2 which I'm planing on connecting to my game room tv, but haven't done so yet as I want this resolved first.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Are the dropouts only when playing the line in or also when listening to online sources?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
It's possible you're getting a lot of interference causing you trouble. I'd be happy to take a closer look if you want to submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Yes it's only with line-in it happens, but on the other hand thats most of the stuff I play on them comes from line-in so..

Diagnostics number: 6901395
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks Reine, you're definitely getting a lot of wireless interference on the system which could cause trouble. Also, I'm seeing that you have more players running of your home wireless network than I'd usually recommend. The strength of your wireless may be coming into play here. Have you tried wiring one of your Sonos devices into the network? If you can, I'd highly recommend it, at least as a test.

If you do so, make sure you go into the settings and change the wireless channel on your Sonos players to 1 so it's separate from your router.

Otherwise, it'd be good to look at what wireless and electrical devices are sitting around where you have the speakers that are experiencing trouble. Cordless telephones for example can cause interference issues within a couple feet of them.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thank you for your adviceses. If I wire one to the lan will it act like a boost setting up a dedicated sonos wifi?

Interesting with the interferences, can you ser what might cause them or if they are more one some players than others?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thank you for your adviceses. If I wire one to the lan will it act like a boost setting up a dedicated sonos wifi?

Yes, it will.

Interesting with the interferences, can you ser what might cause them or if they are more one some players than others?

The Bathroom Lower, Lounge, Living Room, and Kitchen are getting the most interference on that last diagnostic. Hard to say what's causing it, as it could be any number of wireless or electrical devices.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I have 42 Philips Hues in my house, could that have something todo with it?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I have 42 Philips Hues in my house, could that have something todo with it?

The Hues usually are on your wireless network and shouldn't cause too much interference on Sonos, but that's a lot of wireless devices, so it's hard to say for certain.