Question

Play 5 stops playing

• 19 June 2019
  • 6 replies

Badge +1
I moved my Play 5 to my son's room. It was the Living Room, which is just on the other side of the wall from his room. It worked fine with no issues, however once it is moved it will not play anything. I can see it on my controller, and if I lower/raise the volume on the play 5 I can see that same indication on my controller. The thing is, when I try and play anything it just wont. I added a playlist to the device and it shows up on the controller, but when I click Play nothing happens. The track time moves on the controller, but there is no audio.

Could someone let me know if there is a signal issue or if I just have an old Play 5 that is dying? I submitted a Diagnostic Report, 409997843. I would appreciate any assistance. Thank you.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I moved my Play 5 to my son's room. It was the Living Room, which is just on the other side of the wall from his room. It worked fine with no issues, however once it is moved it will not play anything. I can see it on my controller, and if I lower/raise the volume on the play 5 I can see that same indication on my controller. The thing is, when I try and play anything it just wont. I added a playlist to the device and it shows up on the controller, but when I click Play nothing happens. The track time moves on the controller, but there is no audio.

Could someone let me know if there is a signal issue or if I just have an old Play 5 that is dying? I submitted a Diagnostic Report, 409997843. I would appreciate any assistance. Thank you.

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. Have you tried moving the speaker back to the original location? Also, when playing music to the Play:5, see if the headphone jack works. If so, there may be an issue with the speaker. In this case it would be best to continue working on this live with our phone team. You can find our contact information here.
Badge +1
It was playing in the original location when I turned it off, and when I bring it back to that location it works again with no issues. When it is on the other side of the wall it stops working.

I can see it on the phone app, but once I start playing a song it will say something along the lines of not being able to decode or encode the song from Napster correctly. Then after that it will say that it is not reachable.

I have a total of six Sonos devices in the house that have no issues, but the other 5 are hard wired to the network. I'm not sure what the issue is at this point.

I can still do things like turn the white light indicator on and off via the phone app, so I know it is communicating at some level. Occasionally it will start to play a song, and play for about 5-10 seconds, then stop and skip to the next song on the playlist.

There is a wired port in that room if I wanted to move it and go that route, but I don't know why it wont play via the wireless in his room when it will play via wireless everywhere else. My son uses his iPad to stream videos in his room all the time, so I don't think it is an issue with the wireless connectivity. There is also a wired connect on the other side of the wall too. Should't it be able to connect to Sonos' mesh network as well?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks for the clarification. It sounds to me like the wireless connection between your Play:5 and the next nearest Sonos speaker is weak in that location. Looking at your report, it seems your Play:5 is connecting to your network through the Living Room unit's signal. The distance looks okay, but the Living Room speaker shows a high level of wireless noise. This is likely the reason for the issue. Is the Living Room unit close to any third party electronics, or close to the wall you mentioned? If so, it may help to move the Living Room unit away from those devices. Common sources of interference include cordless phone bases, wireless cameras, and wireless baby monitors.

It may also help to change the wireless channel your Sonos system is using.
Badge +1
The "Living Room" connect is on the other side of the wall from the Play 5 that I am having issues with. There are no "Wireless" devices in that cabinet. Everything is hard wired to my network. I don't know what could be causing any interference in that cabinet.

The attached is my house. Red are wired Sonos Products, Blue is wireless Sonos Products (Play 5), and Green are my wireless access points. I don't see any reason it shouldn't be working. This is one that I move around, but I was thinking of getting one dedicated to his room. I don't know if that would be a good idea now that the Play 5 isn't working correctly.

Badge +1
I was playing some music over the weekend for some friends that were visiting and I ran into another issue. There were a few times 1-2 of the locations in a group would cut out, then come back. There were other times that the audio was a little out of sync between two locations playing the same source. These locations are all wired too. I have never had this issue before, so I'm not sure what is going on.
Since they're wired, it can't be wifi interference. But is it possible that you still have your wifi information in the Sonos controller? It might be that they're waffling between wired and wifi. Make sure you double check, and remove your wifi credentials.

You might also be experiencing a duplicate IP address issue, which can cause the same symptoms. Try unplugging all of your Sonos devices, then reboot your router. Once the router comes back up, plug them back in.