Answered

Play 5: Sound very quiet.

• 11 December 2017
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hi all,

I've got a first generation Play:5 (maybe 3-4 years old from new) hooked up to a Flexson VinylPlayer. It doesn't get much use either. I'm not sure why, but this evening for no apparent reason the sound being output is no more than a whisper - even when the volume is turned up full.

I've done a few bits of troubleshooting:

I attempted to stream the VinylPlay to my other speakers by grouping the Play:5 with the 5.1 set-up, but the sound was really muted. This made me think that it may be an issue with the VinylPlay. To test that theory I disconnected the VinylPlay from the Play:5 and streamed an MP3 to the Play:5 instead, again there was almost no sound. For me that ruled out the VinylPlay as the culprit.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the issue is and how I might be able to sort it?

Cheers,
Andy
icon

Best answer by Chris 12 December 2017, 00:07

So if you go into Sonos app and play something like tune in radio station to the play:5 and you adjust up volume you get low sound. If so call Sonos as it would have to be a hardware failure.
View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
So if you go into Sonos app and play something like tune in radio station to the play:5 and you adjust up volume you get low sound. If so call Sonos as it would have to be a hardware failure.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Nope - even turned up full I can barely hear it, no matter what the input. Will Sonos even look at a piece of hardware that old if I no longer have a receipt etc.?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
They usually will give you options.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Okay, I'll give them a call.
Hi did you get His resolved. I have the same problem with the same speaker also about four years old
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hi did you get His resolved. I have the same problem with the same speaker also about four years old

We mentioned to SONOS the problem and they offered to replace the unit for the Gen 2 for £350 (as they don't offer repairs)! Don't allow yourself to be fobbed off by them: under UK law they are required to offer a free repair or free replacement for up to 6 years after the unit is sold; however, after 6 months it is your obligation to prove that the unit has failed through no fault of your own.

We repeatedly reminded SONOS of their legal obligation but they do their usual thing where they simply appear to ignore their obligations and say "take it or leave it". I'm not the kind of person to take it lying down, so as of Monday a formal complaint will be raised with Trading Standards over SONOS' refusal to comply with UK law, and I am looking at taking them to court to obtain a repair or replacement.

So that should tell you everything you need to know about SONOS' level of respect for their customers, and their seeming indifference to the law.

Funnily enough when I was on the phone to my bank finding the original charge, the gentleman I spoke to laughed when I mentioned SONOS because his boss is also currently in a battle with them in regards to hardware failure, and he too is looking at taking them to court.

You're now the third person who seems to be having an issue and I dare say that if you attempt to tackle the issue with SONOS you shall also receive their fairly blasé fob-you-off service too. I read a review the other day which had the headline "SONOS are brilliant... but then you have to deal with their customer services!"
Any updates on your Sonos Play 5? I have the same issue. And scanning through the threads here, youre the only one who may have the answer. I dont want to buy a new one. I like it as it is. hope youll be able to see this, i know it has been months.
Any updates on your Sonos Play 5? I have the same issue. And scanning through the threads here, youre the only one who may have the answer. I dont want to buy a new one. I like it as it is. hope youll be able to see this, i know it has been months.

My gen 1 Play 5 has been babied and never had any issues. Seems that the latest software update may have broken something. Same symptoms - very faint sound through speakers. Unit connects to network, shows up in app and desktop software, shows headphone icon when one is connected, has audio via headphones.

The response from support is - "It looks like we are going to have to RMA that unit." That means replacement as Gen 1 is now deprecated. No offer to repair.

As this appears to be a now common issue with Play 5 owners, I am reluctant to buy a replacement.

Sonos has really gone down hill with their support, direction of product and reliability. I can't justify the premium price when they hang customers out to dry. Will update here if company is prepared to offer alternatives. I'd be happy with even a minor attempt to reset the unit but alas the default is to sell you more stuff. As per the post above, I think there are legal obligations that the company is skirting.
I would encourage you to seek legal counsel, to see what options you may have.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Not a solution for the OP, but for others buying new, Richer Sounds in the UK sells Sonos with 6 year warranty.
Check to see if a Volume Limit has accidentally been set.
Im currently experiencing very quiet sound from my play 5 gen1. Any input is quiet and I have no volume reduction accidentally on. Anyone had any luck getting this resolved?
I'm also experiencing the same problem with play 5 gen1, all of a sudden today, the speaker just decided to stop working, the volume is extremely low
Badge
Im currently experiencing very quiet sound from my play 5 gen1. Any input is quiet and I have no volume reduction accidentally on. Anyone had any luck getting this resolved?I'm also experiencing the same problem with play 5 gen1, all of a sudden today, the speaker just decided to stop working, the volume is extremely low

I had the same problem after just 4 years. I think that it is ridiculous that a powered speaker at this quality level, would break from normal usage. I have a Yamaha Sound bar that is working great after 10 years, no problem.

This is that I got back from Sonos support. not acceptable

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
This player appears to be faulty, and we're happy to send you another unit. Our warranty covers up to a year. Since the Play:5 is out of warranty, we can still get it replaced but it will be at a cost. Your replacement will cost $349 plus local tax. Since we no longer have Play:5 Gen 1 speakers, you will be upgraded to a Play:5 Gen 2. This speaker will also have our guaranteed one year warranty.