PLAY 5 Not connecting over wireless

• 18 February 2017
  • 67 replies

Userlevel 1
Hey folks,

Pretty sure I've tried everything here but thought I'd give it a whirl.

I've owned a Play 5 and Playbar (both in separate rooms) for about 6 weeks. They've worked perfectly wirelessly and been great.

Yesterday my Play 5 stopped showing up on the network and isn't working on the wireless network.

These are the things I've tried:

- Moving closer to the router - Nothing
- Setting up again through different controllers - Nothing
- Resetting the Play 5 and set up wirelessly - Nothing
- Resetting the Play 5 and setting up using the Ethernet - works, but when you try to set it up on the wireless (1 ft from the router - Nothing)
- Tried resetting my router - nothing

It's also worth noting that the entire time my playbar works across the wireless with no problem at all.

Is it just that my Play 5 wireless needs to be returned?

Thanks,

Alf

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

67 replies

That seems to be an odd attitude to take, in my opinion.

I've seen a lot of recalls of vehicles due to bad airbags from Takata, but that wouldn't stop me from buying a new car.

In every case that has been reported of this in these boards, Sonos has made good by replacing the speaker. My supposition is that they had a vendor give them a batch of bad cards, but based on the volume of respondents here, it's obviously a very small number.

But if you choose to make your purchasing decisions based on that, it's entirely up to you. I wish you well, and hope that you find something that matches your needs.
I just started having this problem as well. When I try resetting the Sonos wireless settings, keeps saying it can not connect. Was working 1 week ago, now - not working at all. Crazy that it just stopped working.

I guess I will have to WFH one day and just have them tell me what the issue is.
Same issue here. This is my first new Play 5; the 2 subs, 2 play bars and 2 gen 1 play 5's have worked great for years. This new play 5 I got today only connects if I hardwire it to the network which is not going to be viable...
Sounds like it's one of the ones that has a bad wifi card. You should contact Sonos for replacement (www.sonos.com/contact) or take it back to where you purchased it and get a replacement.
This just happened to me with the Play 5 I got a little less than 3 months ago. I tried most of the things suggested before I talked to a tech at Sonos. He had me connect the speaker to my router with an ethernet cable and was able to determine that the WiFi card was faulty. He arranged to ship a new Play 5, which is on its way, and sent me a shipping label to return the defective one. It's inconvenient, but I was pretty impressed with the responsiveness. The queue on the support line was long but I was able to leave a call back number, which was fine with me.
Same problem. One play 5 stopped working. Now only works wired to bridge. Is there a solution?
I'd submit a diagnostic while it is connected to with ethernet, then call in to Sonos. www.sonos.com/contact
I'll do that. Thank you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Two solutions, call Sonos and get their assistance or open it up and try to fix it yourself realizing at that point Sonos isn't likely to want any part of the problem.

Call Sonos!
I have had exactly the same issue. Brought two Play 5's (2nd Gen) back in Dec last year. Had them as a stereo pair and were working fantastically. First one failed to pick up wireless network in September. Phoned Sonos and undertook diagnostic check. They instantly said wireless card had failed, but it was very rare! Replaced with 3 days and new one been working fine. Looking at the respondents here, maybe not so rare! Tonight the second Play 5 I have has just had exactly the same problem. Have raised the query with Sonos and looks like another replacement. That's just hope this does not become a regular occurrence! Brilliant product with great customer service just very poor reliability.:@
Hey just thought I would comment on this thread. I have 2 play 5 gen 2 in a surround sound setup with playbar and sub. Sent out left surround 3 weeks ago with fail WiFi card, got my replacement and everything working great. Today I come home want to shake the house with some music and low and behold right surround play 5 not being found in system. Call sonos already knowing that it’s most likely the WiFi card issue. It was. I ask the representative if this is common and by his answer this was the first he’s heard of it. I doubt that. I LOVE sonos products to the point of being called a “fanboy” but this is definitely a problem they need to fix at the manufacturing level. What happens if my WiFi card goes bad in year 2 of the speaker life? I spent over 500$ for 1 year use of a speaker? I think they should just recall the speaker fix it and rectify the situation. I ordered my new sonos one with Alexa I hope they used a different WiFi card company for it ??.
Same issue here, just adding to the evidence pile. Gen 5(2) unit worked great for two months but kept dropping out. Eventually gave up the ghost. Community threads convinced me I should blame my Wifi set up, spent WAY too long fiddling with that, resetting SONOS, reinstalling apps, reconnecting in many ways, multiple times. Even spent a load of money getting WiFi mesh, thought that would solve it, what a sucker. Sonos installation guidance said I needed to buy a Sonos bridge, that is bad advice. The give away symptom (I speculate) was that during WiFi set up the SONOS WiFi network wasn’t broadcasting, or it did once after one minute then disappeared after 5 seconds. If Sonos had weekend and evening support I might have got there earlier, as such I was forced to rely on email and twitter communication channels when trying to sort this at home (Sonos owners in employment be cursed). It took them several days and several nags to respond, finally they asked for diagnostic, sent that and then had several more days and nags sent before they responded again with confirmation that the unit needed to be returned. The returns process was seamless (lucky for you if you kept your packaging) but now I’ll get a refurb unit replacement instead of a new one which has taken the shine off the ownership experience for me. Lessons learned, listening to Sonos advice is great but stay sceptical, same for trying everything suggested in the forums, so much time wasted. Get to the diagnostic conversation with support as fast as you can, just hope you have an understanding boss who is happy for you to that in his time not yours.
Definitely sucks, I know the feeling, but I must give sonos credit for one thing, both of my play 5s were replaced with BRAND NEW speakers, not refurbished. They tell you not to send your power coard thinking that they are just gonna send you a speaker and you have to use your old power coard. Nope, sealed box, with everything in it, paperwork, speaker, power; new style black box. I’m happy
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
I believe I’m starting to have the same issue with my play:5.
Not super stocked about having that happen on a 1y old device...
Update - I just received my replacement play 5 unit and it was brand new, not a refurb as I had feared - I take it back, fair play to Sonos for sorting. If you have wifi card issue I still believe the giveaway clue is it failing to broadcast SONOS wifi network during set up.
How are you guys sure they're not refurbs? Refurb devices can come in similar packaging as a new device from my experience.
I originally expected to get refurb because I was put in an RMA process involving a subcontract remanufacture company in Netherlands. When I received replacement unit it had Chinese manufacturer's labels on new style black pristine packaging which made it appear factory fresh. Maybe luck that play 5(2) units new enough not to have sufficient refurb stock, or maybe the wifi card issue is a known problem and Sonos have taken smart decision not to risk customer satisfaction on flagship product. Either way, happy with replacement, worked first time and ever since.
Badge +1
The same happened to me the 23 Nov. 2017. One of the Play 5.2 suddenly lost connection. Dianostic was send, and advanced replacement is going on. Unfortunately something was going wrong with the shipment, and still not received the new speaker. It’s a shame the P5’s are unstable, because sound is fantastic 🆒
Same thing. I have 2 Play 5's (2) which I use as surrounds. Had them about a year. Noticed today they were not working. Tried everything then called Sonos. Diagnostics says failed WiFi card. Waiting to hear now regarding RMA procedure.
It happened to us today. Will have to wait for next week to submit diagnostics and call Sonos. Glad this is documented but frustrated it is happening.
I have the same issue as everyone here I think. Faulty WIFI card. As one suggested - I think the dead giveaway is when it gets to the step of broadcasting the SONOS network and it doesn't appear on any of your devices.

I have been dealing with this problem for 6 months, but just really started troubleshooting when I moved apartments. Basically I would try to play music when I was cooking or having guests over, and it would crap out and not connect. 30-60 min of rebooting and resetting of everything would _sometimes_ fix the issue. Basically I chalked it up as SONOS being a terrible user experience.

Never thought something as trivial or as inexpensive like a WIFI module would be the culprit. Hoping to get a replacement soon.
Badge
Happened to me yesterday with my 2 month old play 5. Just stopped mid track. Failed to connect wirelessly. Strangely though it would connect wirelessly after first plugging ethernet cable in, then connecting. Remove cable once connected then it would connect wirelessly. But as soon as it was powered down to move it back to where it was....boom. No connection. Sent 2 codes via facebook message today with a techie and they have confirmed wireless card issue. They have already issued me with an RMA via email and return free postage label. I can't fault their service given the time of year. Well done Sonos.
Having same symptom as mentioned a-above regarding Play 5 (2.gen). Whent through all the network BS and got a new router from our internet Company. Play1 still working fine but still putting a small lid on our newyear party. Calling Sonos on tuesday hoping for solution.
Userlevel 2
Hi, I know I'm a bit late in replying. But here is my thinking...
I have a Play 1 that I use for camping (yeah,, i just love the sound) I have a wifi drive and my play one connects then i select with the phone on the same wifi.
Been working awesome at many places until the last time I was at a Van park instead of free camp. It wouldn't connect to MY wifi, but it was connected, solid white LED.? I just thought it was a power glitch or error. I re-set the sonos and tried to reconnect.. I had a bit of trouble connecting but after stuffing around I got it (Not as easy as normal). When I powered of the Sonos and back on latter I had the same issue not finding the sonos.
OK. So what I think is happening. Sonos has it's own connecting system when an ethernet cable is connected that sonos can talk to other sonos instead of on wifi. (Correct me if I'm wrong Mr Sonos).
So I think my Sonos was connecting to the open free wifi in the Van park when restarted. Not my wifi.
Maybe check wifi's that are near by to see if any are Open? Maybe your sonos is talking to that instead.

I love Sonos to prove me wrong, but for me to function in many locations with no issues (Klm's from any other wifi) and as soon as I get near an "open" wifi I have issues.

Only Sonos can tell or fix it.?

Cheers.
Alex.
Looks like I'm also in the same boat. Stopped connecting last night while I was listening to the speaker. I've got 4 other speakers and the rest are fine. Connects fine when I'm hardwired, but no way to connect via wifi. I've emailed support and submitted my dialogistic report. Hoping SONOS takes care of me.