PLAY 5 Not connecting over wireless

• 18 February 2017
  • 67 replies

Userlevel 1
Hey folks,

Pretty sure I've tried everything here but thought I'd give it a whirl.

I've owned a Play 5 and Playbar (both in separate rooms) for about 6 weeks. They've worked perfectly wirelessly and been great.

Yesterday my Play 5 stopped showing up on the network and isn't working on the wireless network.

These are the things I've tried:

- Moving closer to the router - Nothing
- Setting up again through different controllers - Nothing
- Resetting the Play 5 and set up wirelessly - Nothing
- Resetting the Play 5 and setting up using the Ethernet - works, but when you try to set it up on the wireless (1 ft from the router - Nothing)
- Tried resetting my router - nothing

It's also worth noting that the entire time my playbar works across the wireless with no problem at all.

Is it just that my Play 5 wireless needs to be returned?

Thanks,

Alf

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

67 replies

Hi Alf I have the same problem here,

Play 5 gen 2 been working fine for a month. Then last week it disappeared and will only reconnect when wired. It won't connect wirelessly anymore even when sitting right next to the Bridge.
I also have two Play 1s that work fine in rooms further away from the router.
I've tried everything I've read on this forum but think now I'll have to return the Play 5 if it's wireless function is broken.
There seem to be quite a few cases like this with the new Play 5s.

Steve
Exact same problem here! My Play 5 quit working on Friday and we have tried all the same things with the same results.
I'm hoping someone has a solution!

Lisa
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hello and welcome to the Sonos community

Connection problems which appear suddenly are often caused by network problems, not Sonos problems. The typical cause is duplicate IP addresses. These often show up after an update or power outage because a reboot requires the device to request a new IP, and the router, having lost track of current IP assignments, issues a new IP that is in use by another device. Rebooting the router may correct this temporarily, but it actually exacerbates the problem because as soon as another IP lease expires, it starts handing out duplicates again. To cure this, do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next. Note that you can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address in the router setup. See your router manual for details.

Make sure your SonosNet and router are on different channels

Keep what ever Sonos product you have wired at least a meter from the router

If all fails run a diagnostic and post the number here

Go to help and submit diagnostic
Userlevel 1
Hello and welcome to the Sonos community

Connection problems which appear suddenly are often caused by network problems, not Sonos problems. The typical cause is duplicate IP addresses. These often show up after an update or power outage because a reboot requires the device to request a new IP, and the router, having lost track of current IP assignments, issues a new IP that is in use by another device. Rebooting the router may correct this temporarily, but it actually exacerbates the problem because as soon as another IP lease expires, it starts handing out duplicates again. To cure this, do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next. Note that you can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address in the router setup. See your router manual for details.

Make sure your SonosNet and router are on different channels

Keep what ever Sonos product you have wired at least a meter from the router

If all fails run a diagnostic and post the number here

Go to help and submit diagnostic

I saw this on some of the other posts and I've tried this several times now and it's not worked. I've tried rebooting the router to factory settings. All of it.

It does feel like this is a Sonos problem. Based on the fact that so many people are having the same problem, with the same product and I have several other products that are connected to the WIFI with absolutely not problem (In cluding a playbar).

Even in the setup where it says that the Sonos is going to create a temporary WIFI network. It doesn't do that.

I really like my play 5 but if I get a replacement one, will this happen again? It's a big rubbish that a products unique selling point is basically crapping out on people!

Any other ideas folks?
Userlevel 1
Forgot to mention. I checked and as I'm with Virgin Media I can't assign static IP addresses either which obviously isn't a Sonos issue but worth noting that isn't possible for everyone sadly.
CapnLes - I also tried this several times after reading it on another thread and it made no difference.

My question is this:

If it is a network problem and not a Sonos problem, why does it only affect the Play 5 and not the other players??
Also, when the Play 5 is wired it is given it's own unique IP address - I checked in 'About my Sonos system' and with all the other devices connect to my wifi - and it works fine.

So how can this be an issue with IP addresses? If I unplug the ethernet cable in the Play 5 shouldn't it continue using the same IP address wirelessly?
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
While Sonos will work on WiFi it does work best on Sonosnet. Meaning having one of you Sonos products hard wired all the time to your router allowing Sonos to set up it own network and taking the load off your WiFi.

SonosNet

I again suggest you submit a diagnostic and post the number here. A Sonos rep will be a able to pull a report and tell you far more about your system than we can. You could also call them if you do not want to wait.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Diagnostic
I have the exact same problem. It started about 2 hours ago despite having worked perfectly for the last month. Steve F.
So many people reporting the same fault - 4 so far on this thread in the last 24 hrs. Lots of other similar threads too.

Really looking forward to hearing a response from Sonos on this.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
I can tell you that from past experience your issues are most likely related to your networks and not a faulty speaker. Please give Sonos support a call as they are very helpful.
Userlevel 1
Seems a bit unlikely it's my network seeing as all my other devices work absolutely fine with it.. including my Playbar.

Would love to be proved wrong as currently I'm just sitting in silence. Even my cat looks a bit depressed.

Will ring Sonos tomorrow and report back what they say.
Hi breadmakingbee,

Any luck calling Sonos?

Cheers
Userlevel 1
Literally about the call them... I've had to work from home this morning and get work to let me do it because of the Sonos hours being 9-5 Mon-Fri!
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hope you get it sorted, hate to think of your cat still looking depressed .... :8
Userlevel 1
Wow, ok. That was super quick. I spoke to a guy on the phone who was really helpful. He checked the system and said that it was as suspected, "faulty". I asked if this was a problem that was occurring with Play 5's at the moment and he said there has been some problems with the Play 5's which they're looking into. I appreciated the honesty because I've made quite a big investment with this stuff and I'm pretty forgiving if they're up front!

I was supposed to get an email to tell me what to do next but didn't receive anything. Waited an hour.. called back and then spoke to another guy and he was having trouble with his email but eventually got it through.

I've spoken to 3 staff there in total. 2 said that they hadn't experienced that many issues with the Play 5 and sometimes they have a defective antenna. 1 said this had been a problem.

Will update everyone on what happens next though. Hopefully I won't run into the same problems.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Good to hear that breadmakingbee, I too have invested over £2400 into my system and would hate to think that the money was poorly spent if there are to be too many technical failings. Both my Play 5's have been good to date though, so hopefully I won't fall into the category of "plain unlucky".
I have the same issue; since a few days the wifi connection of the Play5 (gen2) is no longer working, while other Play 1 devices continue to work wireless. when connecting the Play with LAN cable, it's working again.

Opened diag case: 7161494
Badge
Same problem with gen 1 Play 5. I have it connected via ethernet and it constantly drops out. I have 2 play 1s wirelessly linked as as a stereo pair in the same room as the 5, with everything running on WM:0, these also have the same problem. Changed all the channels and all the other stuff you are told to do. But still the same problem. When Sonos works it is excellent, sadly I spend more time trying to re-connect the speakers after they drop out.
Same problem with gen 1 Play 5. I have it connected via ethernet and it constantly drops out. I have 2 play 1s wirelessly linked as as a stereo pair in the same room as the 5, with everything running on WM:0, these also have the same problem. Changed all the channels and all the other stuff you are told to do. But still the same problem. When Sonos works it is excellent, sadly I spend more time trying to re-connect the speakers after they drop out.

Could you please submit a diagnostic so that I can take a look at what's going on with your system?
I was having problems with my Play5(gen 2). Finally talked to Sonos support on the phone and diagnostics showed I had a faulty wireless card, so they are shipping me a new one and a label to return the faulty one for free. If you are finding your Play 5 works fine when plugged in with a wire but not wirelessly (and still close to the router), definitely give them a call. Might have the same problem as me. 🙂
Same issue with my Play5 (gen 2) - Play 5 works fine when plugged in with a wire but not wirelessly (and still close to the router). Will call Sonos support when I am working from home on Friday.
Badge
Same problem for my Play:5. Worked flawlessly for a month, Then suddenly it stopped working. Calling Sonos support tomorrow ...
Does not look like this problem is solved so won't be purchasing the 4 Play 5's I was planning on.