Play 5 Line In from TV - Works Fine but Other wifi Play 5's drop on pause

• 1 March 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge

Play 5 Line In from TV - Works Fine but Other wifi Play 5's in paired group drop on pause.

I just have to add to Paired Play5’s to group of the Line In then it works fine again.

Very frustrating. They’re on channel 6.

They never drop when on music from TuneIn etc, just TV and only when silent.

Do I have to purchase a soundbar to sort this issue or will an optical connection to TV sort this issue out?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Phil Wentworth 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

It sounds like you might have Autoplay set to not include grouped rooms.

Please go to Settings » System » [name of room with Play:5 Line In] » Autoplay and set it to include grouped rooms.

I hope this helps.

Badge

You’re not wrong, already tried that and it now works fine. Thanks, no drop outs.

I guess if I had a sound bar it would eliminate the tiny delay in the audio to video, I’ve got it set to Low, 75ms. Please could you confirm this.

Kr Phil

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Phil Wentworth 

You’re not wrong, already tried that and it now works fine. Thanks, no drop outs.

Glad to hear it!

I guess if I had a sound bar it would eliminate the tiny delay in the audio to video, I’ve got it set to Low, 75ms. Please could you confirm this.

That is correct. The Play:5 isn’t really meant as a TV speaker - converting the analogue signal to a digital one and pre-buffering it for sharing on the network takes at least 75ms.

Sonos Home Theatre products (Arc, Beam and Amp) take as an input an audio stream that is already digital, and they will not wait to play it in order to share it on the network (which they will do, but it’s unsupported - other rooms likely being out-of-sync).

Hi @Phil Wentworth 

Glad to hear it!

That is correct. The Play:5 isn’t really meant as a TV speaker - converting the analogue signal to a digital one and pre-buffering it for sharing on the network takes at least 75ms.

Sonos Home Theatre products (Arc, Beam and Amp) take as an input an audio stream that is already digital, and they will not wait to play it in order to share it on the network (which they will do, but it’s unsupported - other rooms likely being out-of-sync).

Just to add to this, if your intention is to replace your play:5 (w/line in to TV) with a Beam for example, and then group the Beam with your pair of play:5s...this might not be what your looking for either.  Beam/Arc/Amp connected to a TV, as well as the surround speakers and sub that are bonded to it as a single room, will play immediately.  Any additional room grouped for the TV audio will be delayed, as a buffer is needed for multiroom audio.  If all the speakers are located in the same physical room, you’re going to hear an echo.  It’s not a problem if your pair of play:5s are in a different room in the house.

Badge

Superb response, so I guess I’ll keep current configuration as I’ve already got 3 play 5’s gen1, works superbly with one behind TV and two wireless 7 metres either side, sounds superb, like the cinema Dolby advert, seriously decent sound for value money. When listening to music streaming during the day I just drop the grouped pair and it defaults back to previous setup, then later group with TV play5, takes a second and no drop outs at all!