Question

Play:5 Gen2 WiFi controller dead?

Hi - I have a Play:5 Gen2 which dropped out of a stereo pair last night. Despite doing a reset on the device and trying numerous other options, it steadfastly refuses to appear back on my wireless.

I hard wired it into my home network switch and it does then appear. I then disconnected it again to force it onto my WiFi and restarted it (doing a factory reset) . This time around I see a flashing green light like it is ready to go into setup mode - so I proceed with trying to add it through the Sonos app and the app sees the "new" Play:5, I then select to set it up, it prompts me to press the connect button on the rear of the Play:5, I press it and hear the tone and then the light goes to flashing orange, followed by solid orange. I can't see the device - so the setup fails.

After a few minutes, the LED starts flashing white for a few seconds and then returns to flashing green like it is going back to the setup loop again.

I subsequently setup the Play:5 Gen2 when wired to my home network and I have assigned it a new room so as to simplify troubleshooting.
Once I restart the Play:5 without the LAN cable to push it onto my wireless, when it restarts, it does not appear in my Sonos controller app.

If I plug the LAN cable back in, the errant Play:5 reappears in the controller.

I believe we are looking at a wireless card issue with the Play:5 Gen2.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Terry

3 replies

Did you update the firmware recently? I updated firmware via ios app last night and today play5 just does not play anything. My other two play1 work fine. I tried everything I can, including reset to factory settings and re-add it to my account. At the final step of adding the play5 (registering products), there was a long wait and then error message stating cannot connect to internet. I am not sure if the firmware update is the cause or some part of sonos server is down.
Did a firmware update a out a week back. Was working fine after that up until yesterday.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello there, User370007. Welcome to the Community. Would you mind submitting a diagnostic report so I can have a closer look? Be sure to do this with the PLAY:5 plugged into the router, and reply with the seven-digit confirmation number it gives at the end. Thanks in advance.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings