Answered

Play 5 Gen 2 WiFi problem doesn’t work when more than 2 ft away.

• 31 May 2019
  • 3 replies

I can not connect with all my other sonos products over WiFi. I do have 3 play 1’s and a play 5 gen 1 with a sub all others work but my Play 5 Gen 2. It only works when I plug it in with Ethernet or if I go wireless no more than two feet away.

135128905 I tried this diagnostic but don’t know if I did it right.
icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 31 May 2019, 02:29

You should contact Sonos Support and give them that number and they can see if they need to send out a replacement Play 5. The contact page has options for directly contacting support for the various countries.
View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
You should contact Sonos Support and give them that number and they can see if they need to send out a replacement Play 5. The contact page has options for directly contacting support for the various countries.
I just purchased a play 5 gen 1. It works via Ethernet but I cant get the Wi-Fi to work. It was purchased on eBay. Concerns. It doeant have the play pause logo it has a mute logo...
The 2.4 g Wi-Fi is working on other devices, play 1 and androids

It works with Ethernet

After looking rat his topic it seems to me that the Wi-Fi chips are a big issue with the gen 1... Am I overlooking something. Ive notoced the response to call custoner support, why? Please respond bask with the first few things to check beyond resetting the router/modem and I did the reset of the play 5 gen 1 several Times.

Again please let me know beyond that on the forum. Like a HARD reset not the software reset.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Hard reset called factory reset by Sonos is almost always a bad idea as it solves nothing and removes data Sonos can use for troubleshooting.

Calling customer support puts you in contact with the folks with the most troubleshooting tools and also the most options to resolve your issue. The other contact methods can often help but your case sounds like the call will be best. Posting here in the user to user forum can get you some suggestions but like you, we can't see inside the devices since Sonos locked us out with past updates. Trying the 24x7 options won't hurt as a starting point since the phones are closed for the weekend.

If you connected to Ethernet, rebooted and checked for updates you have done about everything you can do to troubleshoot the weak WiFi issue, sounds like an issue for eBay to resolve, not Sonos as it was sold to you with the defect.