Answered

Play:5 Gen 2 stopped suddenly connecting to WiFi

Hello I have had a Sonos Play 5 (gen 2) in the same location for well over a 1-2 years working fine. Its recently dropped off my network. I have found that it will connect to the sonos network via wifi if I move it directly next to a sonos Five only until I move it back to 1 room over. I have tried changing sonos net channels, and power cycling all the sonos devices in my home no impact. I have preformed a factory reset as well no change.

I plugged it in via Ethernet for diagnostic

Diagnostic report: 542547821

icon

Best answer by Corry P 29 April 2022, 14:50

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Factory Reset destroys diagnostic data. I suggest you refrain from Factory Reset without further consult.

so what are the next steps to generate data required to diagnose the issue?

There is high probability of a hardware issue, but we should start by ruling out WiFi interference issues.

Where was the unit when you submitted the above diagnostic? I recommend getting the unit functional, play music for a little while, and submit a diagnostic while the unit is functioning. Within about 15 minutes of a failure, submit another diagnostic -- even if the problem unit is offline at that time. Following up with phone support is the best plan.

Describe your network for us. Are any of your units normally wired to the network? Which model router are you using? Are you using a mesh WiFi system or wireless relays? Have you tried physically swapping the problem unit with another unit? This will help answer the question regarding WiFi interference vs hardware failure. Submit diagnostics after the swap and any failures.

Note that, while Factory Reset destroys all diagnostic data for that unit, reboot will delete most of the fine detail and some fine details begin to scroll out of view after 20 minutes or so. Plan your diagnostic submissions accordingly.

Here’s the link on how to submit a system diagnostic.

And here’s how to call Sonos Support.

So weird thing just happened after Play 5 gen 2 was plugged in and playing music my Sonos Five went offline until I power cycled it, are they fighting each other?

Diagnostic: 291554105

Bell Home Hub Modem/Router → POE switch → 2 Ruckus R750 AP → switch (via passthrough) → sonos arc

I have my Sonos Wired via my Sonos Arc for independent sonos net network as I’m aware the Ruckus AP’s don’t play nice with Sonos Multicast on its wireless side, everything just worked better letting sonos do its own thing.

Basement

Room#0 Sonos Playbar 

Main floor (opposite ends of house)

Room #1 Sonos Arc (wired), 2x Play:1, Sub Gen2

Room #2 Symfonisk Bookshelf

Top Floor (rooms are adjacent, separated by hallway and 1 wall)

Room #3 Play Five

Room #4 Play: 5 Gen 2 (currently wired for testing)

Its been setup and working in this fashion for years, always 1 Sonos wired in the living room. Only the play 5 gen 2 is having issues

@UseroftheSonos,
With the Play:5 uncabled and running on the SonosNet wireless signal for 20 minutes or so, can you perhaps capture and post your Sonos matrix to perhaps see if that shows anything ..

In a web browser goto this address.. http://<ip address of your Sonos Arc>:1400/support/review and select ‘Network Matrix’.

IP address of Arc can be seen in the Sonos App ‘Settings/System/About My System’.

@UseroftheSonos,
It would be useful to know aswell what your router and access/point WiFi channels are, that you are presently using and the channel-width of each band. Also for good measure the SonosNet channel set in the Sonos App.

Whilst in the App network settings, can you check to see if your local WiFi settings are stored in the App too.

If they are stored you can remove them, as they are not required when running your system on SonosNet where  you do not have any portable Sonos products (Move/Roam).

Sonos Net Channel 11, just moved it back I had moved it manually to 1 

Currently my Modems built in wifi analyzer shows channel 11 at 33 percent usage, channel 1 is at 61% usage. Provider wifi only runs the TV box which I don’t really use much, and that's probably running 5Ghz

Sonos Five just went down again…. something is definitely up, latest diagnostic is 317862039,

Feels like when I plugged the Play 5 gen 2 in wifi issues transferred to the Sonos Five… did I create a loop back issue by having 2 sonos’s plugged in via wire? i haven’t power cycled anything so hopefully that's a good diagnostic.

Bell Router / Wifi

2Ghz -  11

5Ghz - 36 / 132

Ruckas R750 AP #1

Radio

802.11b/g/n/ax / 802.11a/n/ac/ax

Current Channel

10 / 60

Config Channel

Auto / Auto

Channelization

20 / 80

Noise Floor

-101 / -106

PHY Errors

1781 / 12

Available Channel

Block Channel

Ruckas R750 AP #2

802.11b/g/n/ax / 802.11a/n/ac/ax

Current Channel

3 / 112

Config Channel

Auto / Auto

Channelization

20 / 80

Noise Floor

-107 / -107

PHY Errors

781 / 165

Available Channel

Block Channel

I see you have mentioned putting SonosNet on channel  11, but you say that the Bell router is using that channel.. I would suggest using a completely different channel, so if you leave the router on 11, then put SonosNet on channel 6 or 1 (whichever is least used) 

Set the routers 2.4Ghz band to use a channel width of 20Mhz only and I would configure the Access points the same too on ‘fixed’ channel 11 with the same 20Mhz channel-width.

Just leave the Arc wired for now, but perhaps go onto reboot your Sonos devices and see if that sorts things for you. Don’t forget to remove any stored WiFi credentials from the network settings of the Sonos App.

See if that sorts the issues you’re seeing with the Play:5

@UseroftheSonos,

If the issues do continue after perhaps trying those suggestions, then it might be best speaking with Sonos Support Staff online or over the phone via this LINK and see if the diagnostic reports suggest anything further, or other things to try to get the Play:5 online and stable again.

The RUCKAS should be restricted to channel 1, 6, or 11, not ‘Auto’. Currently I see them using 3/10 -- this is bad. If you have multiple wired SONOS units, the switches must be configured for STP, not RSTP.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @UseroftheSonos 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Unfortunately, your Play:5 does indeed have a hardware fault.

Please get in touch with our technical support team who will organise a replacement for you, free of charge. Thanks.