Answered

Play 5 Gen 2 starts playing twice a day

• 16 January 2021
  • 5 replies

I have a play five that turns on with no external inout twice a day. Typically between 11:30am-12:00pm and 4:30pm-6:00pm. I have no alarms set and have disconnected all hubs (echo and wink) from the system and the issue persists. The only Sonos controllers are on my phone and my wife’s phone and neither of us are issuing the command to play. There is an extremely low possibility that someone else is inadvertently controlling my system because I have changed my Wifi password and the fact that it happens at the same times consistently every day. I have spoken to sonos support via phone with out much resolution. I have also done a factory reset on the speaker and added it back to a different room to rule out any routines turning it on mistakenly. I also don’t have any routines with any other smart items in my house scheduled for those time ranges. Any suggestions?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 25 February 2021, 12:00

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

In general, if you can submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, the Sonos folks should be able to tell where the ‘play’ command is coming from.

In most, but not all cases, it has been old Spotify Connect sessions that people haven’t ‘broken’ by playing another source after the person they’ve given access to their Sonos system.

In a much smaller number of cases, it has been generated by some sort of home control system.

I can’t recall it ever being the result of an issue in the Sonos software itself, or the speakers, but then again, I’m only referring to things I’ve seen posted in this forum, and not what I expect the totality of cases is. 

Thanks Bruce I have submitted two system diagnostics and the only thing I have gotten so far from sonos support via phone call so far is that the system is operating normally. I considered someone inadvertently sending a play command via an old connection however the fact that it happens every day in specific time frames on only one specific speaker (I have several) makes me think automation, not user controlled. With that being said, the only home control systems ever connected to my system were wink, echo, and smarthings. Smart things is no longer active in my home, and I have removed the sonos skill from both wink and echo so I’m lost at this point. 

Additionally the same playlist which I created plays every time starting on the same song, which is a playlist out of my Amazon music streaming service.  The songs/playlists also don’t show up on my recently played in the sonos controller or my Amazon music app.  

thanks,

Latest diagnostic two diagnostics after speaker starts playing:

sonos case number: 02526642

In at or east one instance I seem to recall, someone had set up a HomeKit integration and used it once, and then promptly forgotten that they’d done so. Although that want an Alarm situation, but the fact that HomeKit kept renaming the speaker. I’m not in any way accusing you of bad memory, that’s what I enjoy ;) 

I’ll look forward to seeing what Sonos folks have to say from those diagnostics, with bated breath. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Brantlbd 

Are you still having this issue? We were able to find that the music playback is being initiated by a device made by Flextronics, which has local IP address 192.168.86.38. I hope this helps.