Play 5 Gen 1 won't connect after S1 update

• 1 October 2020
  • 48 replies

After updating to S1 my Sonos system worked as usual by following an update to version 11.2.3, build 57381090, my play 5 Gen 1 will no longer connect. I’ve tried all the solutions as per the app to add a missing product, including the factory reset on the speaker and powering down router and hard wiring the speaker with ethernet cable.

I’m left with the mute and dash button flashing green.

Given the CEO of Sonos gave a written assurance that the old speakers would work with the new software, that must mean i’m due a new speaker from Sonos as clearly this is not the case.

Anyone else with this problem?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

48 replies

Well at least I did not spend to much on my Sonos products. I only have 1 x Sonos Play5 Gen1 and now it does not work, regardless of method used to connect.

Sonos, please fix the IOS app (at least)!!!

My Play5 has become an expensive paper weight. Not a good image for a company who promised so much!

If everyone is having the same problems(me to)its obviously software issues that need to be addressed.I’ve been chasing my tail trying to get my two play fives to connect.Plugging into router,temporarily WiFi that don’t work.COME ON SONOS!

I have tried everything that the Sonos system suggests to reconnect my Play 5.  I have also tried everything that I could find in this forum.  I finally called Sonos Support about 2 weeks ago.  The customer service guy was as helpful as he could be.  He tried and suggested a number of things to reconnect my Play 5.  He ultimately told me there was nothing that can be done to reconnect it.  He offered me a 30% credit on a Sonos replacement product.  My Play 5 was about 6-7 years old.  I spent about $400-500 for it and it’s useless now.   I am 70 years old and assumed this speaker would have lasted me the rest of my life.   I have to send back my useless Play 5 in order to get the 30% credit.  I’m debating whether to go through the hassle when I still have to buy a new speaker (even though I’d get 30% off) that may not last that long.  I have 4 other pieces of Sonos equipment and I'm wondering how long they're going to last.  I was thoroughly impressed with Sonos during my first few years of ownership.  My opinion has steadily gone down hill since.   The price point of their products should indicate a level of quality that doesn’t seem to exist.   I’m going to need to start researching competitors to Sonos.

Same problem. Moved to new house. All other speakers on my S1 system work except my gen 1 play 5. I’ve also tried everything suggested. 

Note you cannot create a new S1 system with a Play:5 gen1 without first removing the Sonos S2 App from the mobile setup device - so if you perhaps haven’t tried that already, then give that a go.

The speaker’s status LED will need to be reset/flashing green to set it up on a new S1 Sonos Household and the Sonos controller device also needs to meet these system requirements:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4875

Badge

After updating to S1 my Sonos system worked as usual by following an update to version 11.2.3, build 57381090, my play 5 Gen 1 will no longer connect. I’ve tried all the solutions as per the app to add a missing product, including the factory reset on the speaker and powering down router and hard wiring the speaker with ethernet cable.

Given the CEO of Sonos gave a written assurance that the old speakers would work with the new software, that must mean i’m due a new speaker from Sonos as clearly this is not the case.

I’m having the same problem. It’s a paper weight now. Tried everything. And the Sonos wifi network the app says it creates to temporarily help join the product never ever shows up in my wifi list. Even when pairing very new speakers. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I’m having the same problem. It’s a paper weight now. Tried everything. And the Sonos wifi network the app says it creates to temporarily help join the product never ever shows up in my wifi list. Even when pairing very new speakers. 

I think you are talking about something other than a Gen 1 Play 5, as that hardware cannot create a temporary wifi network. Please create a new thread and describe exactly what you have, and what you did to get into this state.

I’m knowledgeable about this very issue, and i tried to wire the Play5 directly to my router with a NIC cable and that seems to work. When on WiFi i cannot add it to my system setup.  after running the same update is when i started having issue.  the Funny thing is that I have 2 Play5 G1.  i took the second one from storage. plugged in and i was happy it was working but then… I needed to do an update and guess what happened.  the same exact thing, wifi stopped working.  what ever code was put in that version to block the communications to get registered in Sonos cloud that was the change in the software which is the PROBLEM. NO ISSUES AS A long as I’ve had this system until this latest update. I’ve had these PLAY5’s as long as they have been out.

Let me lend my voice to the chorus...

I spent MANY MANY thousands of dollars of gen 1 products so I am in no mood to buy gen 2 products which they are constantly trying to bum rush me over to.   It looks like someone took over and said whoops we really didn’t think ahead to monetize this so they forced jammed us to now have to login and go through sonos to use products that we long since paid for so that they can sniff, peddle and control everything we do with the product.  That’s patently shameful and outrageous scum-baggery. Furthermore they will not publish an overview of how their networks interconnect so that we could maybe just figure out where these problems (and I have had many) lie. Further still I just want the speakers to play music I select.  That’s it.  Would have been nice if I could feed the speakers directly from my PC or phone but cannot understand for the life of me why that feature was never introduced - but maybe if they shared how their networks are set up I might have some sympathy. 

Lastly I do not need your suggestions,  I do not need your play lists I do not need your radio I want you out of my pants and god help me if you are sharing my music selections or any other exploitable information (like my location - lord knows why that is all of a sudden necessary) with third parties and monetizing it in any way.  I will in short never buy another Sonos system again if for no other reason than angry spite and tell others the same every chance I get.

Now I just moved two Gen 1 Play 5 speakers to a newly created network.  One of them connected and the other cannot be detected using the exact same procedures.  The speakers were paired on a previous network but despite factory resetting both the second speaker cannot be found and yes tried all of the childish suggestions.  I waiting for a not obvious suggestion.

I have the same issue. Moved and now my gen1 play 5 won’t work. I spent a long time reading these boards and got it to work with Ethernet plugged in but cannot get it over to Wi-Fi. Submitted diagnostic report (729244169). Sounds like this may not be possible to fix reading this message board though.

It initially sounds like it’s the WiFi adapter not working on the speaker, but have you tried re-adding the WiFi credentials to the speaker again, whilst it’s wired to your LAN? See below:

1. Open the Sonos S1 Controller app for iOS or Android.
  2. From the Settings tab, press System > Network > Wireless Setup and follow the prompts to enter your Wi-Fi password.
  3. Once the wireless setup is complete, disconnect the Ethernet cable from any Sonos products wired to your router.

If that fails, then I would cable the speaker back to the LAN and when it reappears in the App, submit a Sonos diagnostic report once again, note it’s reference and contact/chat to Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and see what they say.

I’m having the same problem.  I do remember that the Sonos CEO said there would be no loss of functionality in their S1 products.   I have also been frustrated by not being able to control my Sonos speakers when my phone is in the inactive screen mode.   When I first started buying Sonos products it inactive screen control was very functional.    I see thousands of people have replied to previous posts in this chain - but I don’t see anything that indicates that Sonos is doing much of anything to restore S1 products to their original functionality.   Sonos keeps sending me marketing emails touting their newest products.   Why would anyone with S1 products (that seem to be increasingly less functional) buy any new Sonos products????         I’M WONDERING IF SOME SORT OF CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT MIGHT GET THEIR ATTENTION.   ANYONE ELSE AGREE?

I’ve decided to upgrade the Sonos 5 instead. Thanks everyone for the suggestion, much appreciated 🙏

Just not enough information in your post to offer any significant solutions, beyond the standard “if you connect it to your router with an ethernet cable, does it work?” But not knowing any of the other significant information certainly hampers any attempt to be of assistance. 

Have you tried calling Sonos Support. There certainly have been a handful of cases where the wifi card/system has gone bad in these, but Sonos Support should be able to discern that, if you call them with more data. 

Hi, 

Thanks for your reply, yes I have tried a hard wired connection to my router but it still cannot connect, I’ve also tried the Wi-Fi but still no joy , I’ve reset the Sonos to its factory settings and it still won’t connect.

Today I’ve Emailed Sonos support outlining the issue but after reading someone else’s message in this forum from yesterday ( who has the same problem as me ) he was told there was nothing they could do apart from offering him a 30% discount off a future purchase of another Sonos product!!

I mean Really , is that all they can do , when the problem is clearly an issue with the play 5 Gen , I will await a response and go from there and hope that they can resolve this issue but if they cannot I will be pushing for a lot more than 30% of a new product that’s not guaranteed to work.

It’s very frustrating as it was a gift from my wife and an expensive one at that.

Thanks once again for your input.

So: I finally got it working. The long and short is: The Play 5 was working fine. The problem was the app and whatever it was thinking. So I told the app (not the device) to forget everything. This is a NEW system, I have NO stuff, we’re starting fresh. I then started from the beginning with the device connected via ethernet to one of my mesh boxes (which was hard-wired to the router). At that point it was happy, found the unit, connected it, etc. Later, I went to “network” in settings and told it to connect to my wireless, I typed in the password to the wireless, and I was running. 

Reset the device. Reset the app. Start clean. Worked for me. Good luck.

Plug the errant PLAY:5 in to the router with an Ethernet cable, then submit a system diagnostic , and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

I am having the same issue.    Paly 5 Gen 1  won’t hook up.!     Reset, rebooted. spend an hour one the phone with tech support running diagostics.  Nothing.  

I am going to buy the new Gen 2 at a 30% trade in discount.     Really like the products but i don’t like software glitch that was obviously designed into the update. 

Thanks you.

I tried the add missing product and I needed to use the alternate method given age of speaker but even though it was hardwired to the router I get a message saying it can't connect. 

I've now submitted a diagnostic report.

Reference is 1915656266.

Thanks

I felt I was cheated when it mentions that I still can connect to my Play:5 (gen 1) on my Sonos s1 app. So I decided to finally upgrade to Sonos s2 app…and it can’t detect any of my Sonos: Play:1, Play:3 (all 3 speakers), and Soundbar…and of course my play:5 . Decided to add the Play:5 to Sonos s1: using the Add Product…but it only asked me to update my apps to S2 with no option to add play:5 into S1 at all…what do I do????

I too assumed that play:5 gen1 will still be available on s1. But it is not. I’ve also reset the app (App Preference)…and Setup new account, but when I added the Boost…it automatically setup my old Account ID and again, I can’t see my Play:5 gen 1…sigh!

No you won’t if you started with your Boost from a fresh setup as that created a different Household.

Did you reset the Play:5 speaker? ..if not, switch off your Boost and reset the S1 Sonos App, via App preferences and then on reopening the App and bypassing the opening screens, just choose to connect it back to the ‘existing’ S1 system. (It might help you to switch off your S2 devices temporarily whilst you do that). Also note this will only work if you have not factory reset the Play:5.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I’d love to help with a similar issue. Disconnected a Play 5 (gen 1) from system after upgrading to s2. I’d love to run a separate s1 system now to run a record player to play 5 (gen 1). But cannot get it to connect to s1 app. I’m trying to create a new network on the same account (which I’ve read is def possible) but product is not discovered and can’t do anything to get app connecting to it. Grateful for any help!

Power down all S2 equipment. Factory reset the Play 5, hardware to router. Re-install the S1 app. Start S1 app, create new system (using your existing Sonos account) using this Play 5. Once set up, power up the S2 stuff. Profit.

Hi Ken,

Thank you for replying, I did have the Sonos S2 app on my phone so deleted it yesterday, turned the Sonos play 5 on this morning after reading your message ,to give it another go to try and get it to connect , as soon as I turns it on it recognised my router 😁

Followed the online instructions to set up a new system and now I’m sat here listening to the play 5 , play my favourites again 😁

So thank you very much Ken , I very much appreciate your input, have a good day 😁

I have the same issue. Moved and now my gen1 play 5 won’t work. I spent a long time reading these boards and got it to work with Ethernet plugged in but cannot get it over to Wi-Fi. Submitted diagnostic report (729244169). Sounds like this may not be possible to fix reading this message board though.

Well, I’m not sure if it’s your amazing IT ability but while we were texting back-and-forth, I seem to have installed it successfully and the rest of the system has stayed up. After I hit the chime button and it started connecting, I would get the orange light again and then it would shut down but this time I got the orange light and it connected and is now on my system. No I bought the speaker on eBay, which was a mistake so it’s possible that it has issues that I’m not aware of. Thanks for your time. 

Hey did anyone get this problem solved? 
I now sit on a play 5 gen 1 that after Wired to the router stops at flashing green and don’t connect.

I contacted the supporT who check the diagnostic but it won’t even show there. 

what can I do? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Probably worth submitting a diagnostic report and posting the number here with details of your router, and access point if different, along with the status of the play 5 at the time of the diagnostic.

I have the exact same problem. Did the factory reset on play 5 gen 1

Green light flashing but can’t get it to connect to the app. Can’t find the product on app

tried all the trouble shooting  someone pls help