Answered

Play 5 (gen 1) no audio - dead speaker?

• 20 February 2019
  • 11 replies

Sonos was working fine for years. Recently had the Bridge go down, rebooted and reset all complete with software updates (2 x play 5 gen1 and new beam). One play 5 now has no audio. Solid white light, audio on headphones. Shows in app with volume control etc. Have reset everything multiple times (router and speakers). Speaker has had very very light use. Audio works with headphones. Is it blown? Seems to be picking up on wifi just fine. Was hoping this would have lasted longer, especially with the light use. Any recourse? thanks in advance
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 20 February 2019, 21:28

It is possible, electronics do fail, especially complicated ones like Sonos, with computers, wifi cards, etc inside them. I'd recommend that you contact Sonos to discuss it.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

It is possible, electronics do fail, especially complicated ones like Sonos, with computers, wifi cards, etc inside them. I'd recommend that you contact Sonos to discuss it.
Thanks for the link Bruce, I've had them for about 4 years but with light use. Will see what they can do
Yea, four years would put them out of warranty, I'm pretty sure. But since Sonos doesn't have a authorized repair service, it can't hurt to call them. At least you'll have a bit more information for you to figure out what you want to do.
Dutchman,
I have exactly the same symptoms, speaker dead, headphones sound works fine, shows up on the app like everything is working. Have you been able to determine which board (Power, Audio Control or Motherboard) is blown? Or which components?
Thanks.
Same problem as many others in this community. I love my play5. Favorite speaker. One day it’s just dead. Won’t turn on, LEDs don’t work, hard reset does nothing. I’ve reached out to Sonos support twice without a reply. Waiting to see if they get back. Love Sonos.....disappointed with my current situation.
I have gen 1 play 5, on max volume you can just here audio if you put you ear up to the speaker. i did experience volume fluctuations too, then I just left it running, streaming radio, then randomly the volume return to normal level late at night. I had to turn it off and of course when I went to use it again, it was back to extremely low volume mode. Not buying sonus again until this is solved.
Duplicate post, replied in the other thread.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Same problem as many others in this community. I love my play5. Favorite speaker. One day it’s just dead. Won’t turn on, LEDs don’t work, hard reset does nothing. I’ve reached out to Sonos support twice without a reply. Waiting to see if they get back. Love Sonos.....disappointed with my current situation.

Hi there,

It looks like you've been in contact with our support team and they've given a few troubleshooting instructions via email. Please continue to work with the tech. Let me know if you don't hear back from them.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi all

I repair this fault 10 times a week
its a SMD circuit pair
i cant disclose my website as i will be blocked and banned again
Google would certainly help you find me
Thanks
Ian

Sorry to say, joining the party.  Gen 1 Play:5 completely dead and will not turn-on, period.

Disappointed

Same thing..play5 dead..hardly used and bought 3 years ago. Now they want $350 to fix what is clearly a common design flaw? Very disappointed and regret ever going with Sonos. Never again and advise all my friends to stay away from all sonos products..they have a high failure rate with poor customer support. They will go bankrupt I predict.

what a waste of money.