Play:5 g1 WiFi setup fails

• 29 December 2020
  • 1 reply

I have a play 5 (gen1) that was working fine in all respects - until I unplugged it and moved it to the other side of the room. Same wifi, same router etc etc..

No amount of trying will get the thing to be found. I even plugged in an ethernet cable… reset everything including setting up the wifi….. then when I removed the ethernet and tried to use the play 5 over wifi - it simply did not work.

I’ve screen shots where the app says to connect to the sonos wifi to set up my play 5… with the same screen shot showing my phone IS connected to the sonos wifi.

Followed all the advice regarding IP addresses… been a network expert for years… but 2 hours on this and I want to throw the Play 5 away….how can this be such a hard job? The online help just says check the password - which is no help as only an idiot would not have checked that!!!!

so frustrated - really want someone at SONOS to call me or accept my play 5 back as not fit for purpose (or offer me a Gen 2 upgrade at a discount as they can have this one back. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

The whole ‘check the password’ error is in my mind a default for a lot of other potential issues, including, oddly enough, the fact that the device can’t find a 2.4 GHz b/g/n network to connect to. Amongst others, I think. 

Is there any chance that there is either WiFi interference in the new location, or a change made to your router that has stopped it from broadcasting that 2.4Ghz b/g channel?

However, that may be a moot question, as if it doesn’t even connect with the Ethernet cable any more, it may be a failure in the LAN electronics in the device. And unfortunately, that means it’s unlikely to be able to be effectively dealt with in these forums. 

Your best option would be to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, there are more options available for them to assist you.