Play:5 first gen and Sonos Controller 11???

Badge

Hi, I must admit i’m totally fed up with this Sonos System.

A few years ago I decided to adopt this system to offer my home a musical upgrade. 

Since when, it has never worked as expected. Music stops, cuts, does not launch correctly, well, my musical environment is becoming a total random mess and I am really at the end of something. I already sent some SOS on this forum, and viewing that my mental health is getting worse each time a damned song cannot be play, yes, I can say I am desperate. 

A few weeks ago, my beloved play:5 totally disappeared from the system. 
I’ve been told that the problem would probably be the wifi board. 
Fortunately, I had no time to send this play5 for repair. 

Then, two weeks ago, I tried to plug it in again, and surprise, it started to work again like a charm for two or three weeks. And then, this weekend, it stopped again, kicked from the system, disappeared, back to ghost…. 

I don’t even speak of a Symfonisk that we have bought three weeks ago, that is a total random mess too… 

I’m speechless, disappointed, and angry. Listening to music should be easy, not that critical. 

30 replies

A few weeks ago, my beloved play:5 totally disappeared from the system. 
I’ve been told that the problem would probably be the wifi board. 
Fortunately, I had no time to send this play5 for repair. 

Then, two weeks ago, I tried to plug it in again, and surprise, it started to work again like a charm for two or three weeks. And then, this weekend, it stopped again, kicked from the system, disappeared, back to ghost…. 

That’s the defective WiFi card, it can’t recover by itself, you will need to get the Play:5 replaced.

Badge

What ???? But it stopped to work two months ago, and then went back in the system… Until yesterday when the app updated to version 11. 

What ???? But it stopped to work two months ago, and then went back in the system… Until yesterday when the app updated to version 11. 

When you have been told by support that the WiFi card is defective, take it as a matter of fact. Sonos does not do repairs, they are offering replacements for a fee.

Badge

Sorry, I did not want to say the wifi board was injured, it was an option explaining why the speaker was not working. I could not get more feedback from the Sonos team. the strange thing is that this speaker went back to normal then played music for the 15 last days (even more)… That(‘s why I am totally confused right now… 

Badge

In fact, right now I’m facing the exact same situation I was in 4 months ago. Unable to connect my Play 5 with wifi or ethernet… That’s why I thought the speaker was dead.  Is that possible that the wifi board is just unstable and could work again for two weeks and then finally dies? 

Badge

Would there be any condescension around here?

@artnok, wire the Play:5 to the router, open a web browser and enter the following address.

Play:5’s IP-address:1400/status/proc/ath_rincon/status

Please report back providing a screenshot.

Badge

Unfortunately, I can’t detect in my router… 

Yes, it’s certainly possible that the electronics in the WiFi system are unstable, and might work one time, and not the next. Unfortunately, the community doesn’t have access to ways of confirming or denying that, so we are trying to encourage you to contact Sonos Support directly to discuss it. If the unit is still under warranty, Sonos would replace it with a new one. If it’s out of warranty, they have other options, none of which, unfortunately, include repair.

But if it isn’t showing up when you wire it directly to your router with an Ethernet cable, Sonos support are the only folks who can effectively help you. 

Unfortunately, I can’t detect in my router… 

Is the Play:5 displayed with its IP address under ‘Settings → System → About my Sonos system’?

Badge

Nope. It has totally disappeared from my Sonos System. Whereas, the Sonos Bridge + Sonos One + Play:1 + Symfonisk are there… 

Userlevel 7

@artnok 

I’m not disagreeing with @Airgetlam or @Smilja. However, I am wondering why you think it is a defective Wi-Fi Card versus your network. You admittedly stated (paraphrasing) that the system has never worked as expected. That leads me to believe the issues you are having have been present since Day 1. 

Please provide information about your network:

1. Type of network router and modem or MESH
  2. Are there range extenders or access points involved
  3. Have you checked your networks admin page for firmware updates
  4. Have you tried changing the Sonos channel (1, 6,or 11) to create more separation between it and your networks channel
  5. Are there cameras, baby monitors or the new/old clients on your network.

Note: This forum is not part of Sonos Tech Support. You must submit a diagnostic, post the reference ID in your next post and then call Sonos Tech Support or contact them via Twitter or facebook. Click the link for instructions: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/141?language=en_US

Cheers!

Badge

What has never worked as expected is more the behavior of the entire Sonos System. Jumping or skipping tracks, unresponsive commands, … The other side of my wifi network is apparently ok, we’re running a connected TV, and our laptops and devices never had to suffer any issues. But yes, something could be badly configured… 

So here is the map :

1. Fritz.box 7580
  2. 1 Fritz.box repeater that’s only used by two devices (a smartphone and a laptop at the back of the house)
  3. Router/Box has the latest possible update.
  4. No, I did not change the Sonos channel : what is the incidence on the whole configuration?
  5. No new client on the network so far

Badge

And sorry I forgot to mention the diagnostic : 699710553

Badge

Better to mention we’ve got a powerful internet connection. That’s why I never understood why the streaming was so chaotic…  We can watch TV streams in UHD without any issue. 

@artnok, FritzRepeaters are very problematic, when Sonos is running over WiFi. Have you ever entered the WiFi credentials within the Sonos app? If yes, do the following:

1. Unplug all FritzRepeaters
  2. Remove the WiFi details. On iOS or Android: From the Settings tab, tap System > Network > Networks. Select the WiFi network you'd like to remove, and tap Remove
  3. Subsequently wait about 10 min, then go to Settings → System → About my Sonos system and see if WM:0 is being displayed next to each unit

The Bridge is very old and error-prone. Is it possible to wire another component instead to the router?

By the way, there is also a French speaking community.

Userlevel 7

@artnok

I can say from experience that repeaters are not a Sonos best friend. However, your system appears to be on Wired or Boost mode so the repeater should be non-issue; unless your iOS or Android device is connecting to the repeater and not your main router.  The fix for that is to make sure the repeater is not DHCP capable and that the SSID and Passphrase are the same as the main router.

Also, make sure the bands 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz are separated and not broadcasting together.

As your system is in wired mode to create the Sonos Mesh are you using a speaker, Boost or Bridge. If the latter of the three (Bridge) that could be your problem. The Bridge is outdated and discontinued and no longer fully compatible with newer Sonos software and has been known to cause problems. If you covered this aspect in a previous post...my apologies.

Edit: Looks like @Smilja posted just prior to me. It happens. At least we got to another area to explore :slight_smile:

Badge

Ok. I can clearly see WM:0 next to each unit.

And yes I could remove the Bridge but my router is the entrance of the house, and it’s not really suitable with music diffusion. But I can try with one of the unit, of course. 

​​​​​​​

Badge

I created a mesh this afternoon to see what changes it could make. But I’m finally back with a wireless network. 

Userlevel 7

Ok. I can clearly see WM:0 next to each unit.

And yes I could remove the Bridge but my router is the entrance of the house, and it’s not really suitable with music diffusion. But I can try with one of the unit, of course. 

Strongly suggest you remove the Bridge. If you cannot wire a Sonos component then I suggest you invest in the Sonos Boost ($99-USD). Follow the instructions in the link to remove the Bridge and wire a Sonos component or add the Boost module. 

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3458?language=en_US

Badge

Okay. For now, the Fritz Repeater is not connected anymore.

By the way, the 2,4 and 5Ghz bands are normally separated.

And as I told before, the system is normally set up with a wireless connection. So maybe, I could re-configure correctly the system without this “outdated” Bridge. What should be the best process to clean this installation? 

Another question, is it possible to wire Sonos units through BPL? 

My problem is that our router (and our internet connection) is in the entrance of the house and then we distributed Sonos units in 4 other rooms. I can’t really plug any unit in the entrance. No one is listening to music there… ,-)

But for a test I can wire a unit, no problem. 

@artnok Thank you for bringing your concern to us here in the Sonos Community. I also see that you have a case open with a Sonos agent. Your supplied diagnostic report shows that you have started the recycle process in your account for your Play:5 Gen 1. You are likely not running into any network issues as you were troubleshooting with the help of the Community earlier.

I would suggest that you first look at your account for Sonos online and make sure you have not confirmed the recycle process there first. I believe there is a way to stop the first initial request of the recycle process, but if you’ve complete the next step in the Sonos you will need to speak with our Sales Team. If you are unsure then please call Sales when they are available to assist you further for this.

I hope this helps and reach out to us if you have any future questions or troubleshooting needs.

Userlevel 7

So maybe, I could re-configure correctly the system without this “outdated” Bridge. What should be the best process to clean this installation? 

Follow the instruction in the link in my previous post.

Another question, is it possible to wired Sonos units through BPL? 

This one is beyond my knowlede/expertise. Sorry :disappointed:

Badge

Wait… That recycle process is certainly an error. I’m personally fighting against any programmed obsolescence. And I’m not used to throw money through the windows unless nothing can be done to repair, or transform… So yes, I definitely need to stop this operation. 

Badge

Okay. How do you cancel this? I was just looking for informations, I did not sign anything to engage such a process…. I’m so tired…