Answered

Play 5 dropped from Sonos Network and Will Not Reconnect.

• 26 March 2021
  • 1 reply

I have a ton of Sonos products across my whole house, and have several rooms with multi-speaker set-up.  At random, I had a play5 drop off my Basement room (which had a two play5 set-up).

The network has had zero changes, so nothing has changed other than Sonos software and firmware updates.  I have attempted to add the device back with no luck.

i have even relocated the speaker closer to my mesh wifi extender, run a factory re-set on the Play5, and attempted to install it as a new device.

My phone can recognize the product and serial number during install...but when I try to link the Play5 to my network, it will hang on the “you should hear a chime” screen and it Eventually says that the device is not found after several minutes.

After working with a community Rep (Simon), I submitted a diagnostic report (submit a diagnostic report) for them to investigate further to see what could be causing this issue.  Simon was able to confirm that he saw 2 online and 1 offline.  This was the speaker that had the issue.  Simon recommended that I hard-wire the speak in and do a fresh install.

I was able to re-install the Play5 and it began to operate fine hard-wired.  However, the speaker would not connect to Wifi when unplugged.  I went through settings and re-set-up my network name and password directly to the Play5.  It can now connect to the system when within feet of my Sonos Boost.

However, moving the Sonos to any other room in the house immediately disconnects it from the network and its paired speaker (which is in the same room).  All other speakers work at this range and even further.  I can also open my Eero app and confirm that the Play5 speaker is connected to my wifi even when it is not recognized in my Sonos app.  Please help, as its been close to a year of troubleshooting and I still cannot get this speaker to connect in the room I need it in.  I am out of ideas, as this makes zero sense.

Thanks!

Billy

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 26 March 2021, 23:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

I suppose it’s possible that the wifi card in that device is broken/failing/weak, so it works while hard wired or close to the network device.

Or it could be an eero issue. Sonos tends not to play well with other mesh networks, so having one device wired to the root eero device should put all your devices on SonosNet, rather than having them attempting to connect to eero nodes, which may or may not be the same subnet, and cause exactly the types of connection issues you’re seeing, since Sonos does a lot of cross connecting, and some other meshes can cause that cross connecting some issues.

So, I’d do a couple of things.

First, wire that one PLAY:5 to your base eero router device. Remove the wifi information from the Sonos controller, and see if all devices continue to show in the controller. That means they’re all connected to the SonosNet signal.

Second, If they don’t show up, run another diagnostic while that PLAY:5 is the only device showing up, and call Sonos directly with that information. They may be able to see evidence of a failed/failing wifi card...or they may not. But it will be helpful to them to have that particular use case tested. 

In the meantime, connect another Sonos device to that root eero base unit, and use SonosNet, rather than attempting to have the Sonos connect to the eero mesh. You’ll end up being much happier, I suspect. And if there’s normally no speaker close enough to wire to that base unit, you could purchase a BOOST, which is designed for such a setup. In fact, I use one in my home. 

There’s more data about the wired/not wired options in the wired and wireless modes FAQ. You may, after doing that change, want to refer to the to remove Wifi data FAQ.