Question

Play:5 doesn't do anything when pressing play/pause, only plays sound effect

• 20 February 2019
  • 5 replies

Sometimes when I press the play/pause button on my Play:5, it will acknowledge my tap with a sound effect but not turn off when I pause (and the other way around). I end up pressing more than once when this happens to work around the issue.

How do I fix this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hi Pieter6

Depressing those buttons too long may be tricking your Play 5 to try and join other Sonos (establish a group).
You can also unplug your Play 5 for 30 seconds as a soft reboot. If that doesn't resolve the issue then I suggest you submit a diagnostic and post the reference IDin this forum. After that you can either wait to see if someone responds in a timely manner or call Sonos Tech Support for immediate assistance. Twitter is another option for a faster response. Good luck to resolve your issue.

Cheers!
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
From the sounds of it, the unit is factory reset. At least if it makes the chime when you press the buttons.

If you reboot the unit and see a flashing green light. Add the speaker to your system. Tap on More, then add speakers.
I'm fairly confident that I've done a soft reboot since I first saw this issue, but I've done it again now. It's not a thing that happens consistently so I'm not sure yet what the effect of the reboot will be. If it happens again, I'll see if I can submit diagnostic info!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I'm noticing if I tap towards the front edge of my Gen 2 Play 5 I get a beep and no change in the play/pause status but if I press a bit further back it switches.
Interesting observation. I tested it out on mine, but the location of my tap does not seem to have an influence on whether it happens.