Answered

Play 5 connected but does not make sound

I have multiple systems in my house Play 5, Play 3, Soundbar with Bass and enjoy them all. I have a Play 5 which stopped making sound after an update. It's connected, I can check volume changes on the controller and on the Play 5. Everything looks normal other than it does not make sound. I have tried grouping, line in, every possible method to convince it to play. Is it DOA or is there a way to reset the speaker?
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 16 October 2017, 18:45

If you believe it's a hardware failure, they generally don't handle that in these forums, at least I've not seen them do so in the last couple of years. Your best bet is to run a diagnostic, then call in to them on their phone lines, where they do appear to deal with these kinds of issues. You can find your local number and hours at www.sonos.com/contact
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

I have the exact same problem with my Sono Play 5. I have other Play 1 and Play 3 and Sound bar with no issues. The play 5 connects, but will not make any sound.
Have you heard from anyone or been able to solve the problem?
I haven't had any replies yet. It's a gen 1 Play 5 and I believe it could be a hardware failure - not a reset issue or recoverable without repair.
If you believe it's a hardware failure, they generally don't handle that in these forums, at least I've not seen them do so in the last couple of years. Your best bet is to run a diagnostic, then call in to them on their phone lines, where they do appear to deal with these kinds of issues. You can find your local number and hours at www.sonos.com/contact
Badge
I haven't had any replies yet. It's a gen 1 Play 5 and I believe it could be a hardware failure - not a reset issue or recoverable without repair.

I had the same problem after just 4.5 years. I think that it is ridiculous that a powered speaker at this quality level, would break from normal usage. I have a Yamaha Sound bar that is working great after 10 years, no problem.

This is that I got back from Sonos support. not acceptable

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
This player appears to be faulty, and we're happy to send you another unit. Our warranty covers up to a year. Since the Play:5 is out of warranty, we can still get it replaced but it will be at a cost. Your replacement will cost $349 plus local tax. Since we no longer have Play:5 Gen 1 speakers, you will be upgraded to a Play:5 Gen 2. This speaker will also have our guaranteed one year warranty.
Same here, exactly the same. I called sonos and like above said it was not covered by warranty any more(purchased in 2015) and i can buy the new one for $349. My wife looked at me like i was crazy! I know what she's thinking! Why the HELL would i put another $349 into a speaker that we only got 4 years out of!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
That's the odds, I have several Sonos devices including two Play 5s from about 2006 that are still happily working away.

About the only thing I do special is plug them into a good surge suppressor.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009K79U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Badge
That's the odds, I have several Sonos devices including two Play 5s from about 2006 that are still happily working away.

About the only thing I do special is plug them into a good surge suppressor.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009K79U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dude, Stanley_4 does Sonos pay you? because every comment you make is defending Sonos. The reality is that a lot of Play:5's have problems. I am not being too critical when I say that if I pay $500 for a speaker that I expect it to last longer than 4.5 years. I also have a lot of Sonos products that do work well. 4 Play:1's, 3 Ones, 3 Play:3's, 2 Beams, and 1 Playbar. Just not happy how they handled this issue!

Btw, when my friend's PlayBase had a wifi problem, they were great at debugging and took full responsibility, they acknowledged that it was a hardware design fault, and sent a replacement unit full gratis.

The community does not need your feedback on surge suppression.
$150 (30%) trade-in discount plus free delivery seems fairly reasonable to me for the new play 5 (gen 2) in exchange for a broken 4-1/2 year old Play 5 (gen 1). Perhaps I'm missing the point here.

I don't see many other companies, particularly here in the UK, providing that kind of offer after 4-1/2 years of any product use. They normally tell you to "go whistle".
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

The community does not need your feedback on surge suppression.

Given the number of posts from users with blown power supplies our opinions on users needing feedback on surge suppression will have to differ.

And no Sonos doesn't pay me, I'm here to learn form the folks that know a lot more than I do and help out folks that have problems I understand. Actually if you could avoid trying to be a secret king of the Internet with your rude comments and actually read some of mine you'd find I am very critical of many Sonos decisions.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Now, now everyone - let's try to keep this topic and other topics friendly.

In fact, these new comments do not further the original conversation from 2017. That said, I'm locking this topic so that the actual answer to the OP doesn't get overshadowed by opinions of the current return process. If you'd like to have a conversation about your particular resolution, I'd recommend creating your own topic rather than hijacking a resource other community members can use.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Thanks.