Question

Play 3 stutters on various sources

• 30 January 2017
  • 4 replies

Badge
Hi! I own a Playbar, with 2 Play 1 speakers for surround sound. In our kitchen we have a Play 3. Via my Sonos boost I created a separate Sonos network.
My internet speed is about 300 mbps down and 40 up. Wifi is distributed by an Airport Time Capsule.

Our problem is that the play 3 in the kitchen always stutters. The music or television sounds keep playing, stopping, playing, stopping.

Can you suggest me some pointers for solving my problem?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Hi Patrick,

There are a few items that may be the source of the challenge you are experiencing... generally wifi interference/noise is a common problem that demonstrates itself with what you describe ... and potentially (but perhaps less likely with the specific description you provide) IP address conflicts on the network.

Given that you have a Sonos device plugged into your router directly, (presumably the Boost is the item physically connected), you will want to ensure that the channel the time capsule is using for the 2.4ghz channel is not set to 'auto' (it is by default) and that you set it on a channel that is at least 5 channels away from the channel you have SonosNet set to. You can do this in the airport utility.

Presuming you have separated the channels, you could, as a troubleshooting idea... move the play 3 speaker closer to another Sonos unit and see if the stuttering alleviates... if so, it may be an indicator that the SonosNet signal strength in the kitchen may not be strong enough or may be impacted by too much local interference. (E.g. You don't have the play 3 tucked behind metal appliances, or sitting beside a 2.4ghz phone, baby monitor, etc.)

IP address conflicts can be addressed by shutting down all (I really mean all) wifi devices - computers, Sonos devices, tablets, phones, hubs, etc etc etc.... along with the time capsule and modem. Then restart them starting with the modem, then router, then each device one at a time.... (Just checking as well that you indeed have your modem operating in 'bridge mode' so it isn't handing out IP address while the time capsule is also handing out IP addresses.... this can cause a lot of network headaches).

You can also go into the Sonos controller and submit a diagnostic when the stuttering is happening.... but you do need to note the number of the diagnostic and post it back here so a Sonos rep can take a look and get back to you here about their recommendations. They can see details inside the diagnostic that can help pinpoint the source of the challenge.

Hope this helps.
Badge
Thanks for your elaborate advice. I think this wel help me a lot. First I tried to change the channel, indeed it was set to automatic. I chose channel 2 for 2,4 ghz and 11 for Sonosnet. I will patiently hear if this solves my problem. Will come back if it does.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Best of luck with it.... I'm confident you will be able to resolve the issue....

Oh, also... to reduce noise and interference, you should make certain that your Boost is physically as far away from your wireless router as possible. (e.g at least 4 feet if you can based on the length of your network cable...) ....
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Best of luck with it.... I'm confident you will be able to resolve the issue....

Oh, also... to reduce noise and interference, you should make certain that your Boost is physically as far away from your wireless router as possible. (e.g at least 4 feet if you can based on the length of your network cable...) ....