Answered

Play 3 light showing solid amber light

• 21 December 2020
  • 5 replies

I recently moved my Play 3 to a different location. I can not connect it and the light shows a solid amber light or just white light but I can't connect. I tried everything that is recommended (rebooting, changing place, changing device to connect, etc). My husband,s phone can connect to it but my Ipad or Iphone can’t. My husband’s Iphone can’t connect to the other Sonos Play 1 we have (and which works perfectly for me). What shall I do?? Thank you. 

icon

Best answer by Paul A 25 December 2020, 16:43

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @DelphineS.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. This is a common behavior of Sonos when a new router is in place. Allow me to share some recommendations to help you out.

I would like to recommend, by providing some situations and the corresponding steps on what to do accordingly (if the situation is setting Sonos to a new router). 

• ​If you only have one Sonos device. (considering that the Sonso device is plugged into power and has a solid white light)

1. Open the Sonos app.

2. You will be prompted at the top of the Sonos app “can’t connect to Sonos, Fix it” prompt.

3. Tap on that prompt and then select Update wireless settings.

4. And then follow the prompts.

• If you have more than one Sonos device.

1. Unplug all Sonos devices from power and while all the Sonos devices are unplugged from power, temporarily connect one Sonos device to the new router via ethernet cable. (ethernet cable first before connecting to power)

2. Once the Sonos device (connected to the router via ethernet cable) has a solid white light, plug into power the rest of the Sonos device (not connected to the router).

3. After all Sonos devices are connected to power and have a solid white light, open the Sonos app go to settings » system » network » wireless set up. And then follow the prompts.

4. The prompt would also provide you the details on when to unplug the ethernet cable from the Sonos device connected to the router. (a wired connection is just temporary) or it can be permanent depending on your decision.

I hope this helps.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. we are all here to work together in the community.

Thanks,

Hi Paul,

Thank you very much. I tried what you suggested (I have 2 devices). It all seemed to work until step 3 when I tried to do the wireless setup. When I click on ‘wireless setup’ I get a message saying ‘if you are planning to change the password on your wireless router, please do the following:

1. Temporarily wire one of your products to your router
  2. Change the password on your router
  3. Return to settings > system> network and select Wireless setup.

I do not plan OR know how to change the password on the router. It does not allow me to do anything until this step is executed. So, I’m stuck again. 

Any recommendations please?

Many thanks again.

Hi,

I tried a few things again and I now realise that I can connect to each device individually without any problem but not to both together. When I try to connect both, I can only connect to the device which I already had but the device I have moved (from a different property) does not want to connect then. 

What shall I do please? 

Thank you.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @DelphineS.

Thanks for the update and immediate response.

From this point, I would recommend calling our technical support team for more in-depth troubleshooting steps there may be other key factors affecting and triggering this behavior. Normally this type of behavior could either be a result of either of the following scenario.

• Both devices are connected to a respective Access Point or router and one of which is not configured on bridge mode or access point mode.
  • Both devices are configured on their individual household which means they are acting as if they are setup in separate network and separate house.

It is best to contact our technical support team so they can dig deeper and asses what would be the better step to take and what is causing the issue.

Please do not hesitate to reach out if you still have further questions or concerns. Here in the community, everyone can help you out.

Thanks,

Thank you!