Question

Play 1 Volume control

Badge +1
Controlling the volume on my Play 1 speakers only when paired up with a Play base and sub?

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Please describe your question in more detail as what you have written is not enough for people to understand the question
Badge +1
I have a Play Base, sub and 2 x Play 1 speaker set up, when watching TV most sound seems to be coming from the Play base, with very little coming from the 2 x Play 1's. How can i increase the volume on just the Play 1's while watching TV only? When listening to music everything is fine with good strong sound coming from the Play 1's
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
You can change the surround level within the menu for that room. But it may well be that your Playbase is only receiving Stereo - check by selecting "About My Sonos" in your controller and scroll to the Playbase in that room whilst listening to the TV and see what is says under "Input". Likely it is stereo - In which case if you think the source should be surround (Dolby Digital 5.1) then check your TV audio output settings.
Badge +1
Stuart you are correct the Play base is in stereo, i cant select Dolby Digital 5.1 on my TV
Stuart_W, I was under the impression that in the case of a stereo signal coming in, the Playbase/Playbar would do some minor processing to the signal to provide a certain (small, I'd guess) amount of simulated surround. Is this incorrect? I certainly agree with your contention about going in to the settings for the room and adjusting the volume of the surrounds.

Just playing around on my Mac I note that the "place" to do that is slightly different than it is on my iOS controller, so I'm loathe to give direct instructions, not knowing what the OP's setup is.
Badge +1
Rechecked my TV (LG60LB7500) and have the sound setting on Dolby Digital Plus, everything seems fine with the Play 1's when playing a movie or listening to music, it's just general TV content ie: news etc that seems a little faint. Happy with the way it's performing and won't play around any more. Ran "True play Tuning" and the system sounds great, tks gents
To my knowledge, if anything "plus" comes through the system, your speakers will stop working untll it drops back to Dolby Digital. The software provided by Sonos only does Dolby Digital, not Dolby Digital Plus.

That being said, I'm certainly not familiar with the difference between the two, exactly how much difference is in "Plus" vs the regular Dolby Digital. But it's worth being aware that you might have issues at some point in the future. But if it's working now, go with it 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Bruce. You are correct that if stereo is received then the Playbar/Playbase tries to simulate surround. But my experience is that essentially the rears are very quiet in this scenario.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings