Question

Play 1 music cutting out and back in

• 19 December 2016
  • 9 replies

Hi we have 3 play 1s and a boost, our speakers keep cutting out and back in. From source to the boost is cat6 cable and going through a gigabit network. Yet we keep getting a bandwidth issue. I have tried using compressed and uncompressed data and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Anyone have any ideas?
Diagnostic info - 6889066

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Try setting your router and Sonos to different WiFi channels. Pick any two of 1, 6, or 11 because these are the three that do not overlap. Stay away from any Auto settings on the router.
I have tried this, even disabled the wifi on the routers, no difference has been made.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have tried this, even disabled the wifi on the routers, no difference has been made.

Hi Michaeltoryusen,

There are wireless communication errors between your BOOST and other Sonos speakers. Most of the time changing the Sonos wireless channel will fix this as it reduces interference from nearby networks. Since you've already tried that, please check and make sure that your BOOST is not too close to your router. Even when they are on different wireless channels there can still be interference if they are close together.

Also, look around and in between your Sonos units for any third party wireless devices you may have. Common sources of interference include cordless phones, wireless cameras, wireless baby monitors, wireless TVs and wireless printers. If you have any similar device nearby, try moving it away or power if off temporarily and see if things improve.
Thanks for the reply.
The Boost is about 20 meters away from the router, with the speakers being further than that. It is in a shop environment and the only things around the speakers are lamps which I doubt could cause a problem. I have WiFi analysed the area and there are a few other wireless networks being picked up(from other shops) although weak. The problem still persists if I place a speaker next to the boost. Do you have any more tips for troubleshooting?
The Boost is wired to your router?
Yep, I have even upgraded the wiring to cat6 cable.
You mentioned routers (plural) at one point. What exactly is the configuration there?
We have a public and private router setup, they were on bands 1 and 6 with Sonos being on 11. I have disabled both of them during testing and this has not fixed this issue.
It may be that a complete network reboot would help, but before that, you might go into About My Sonos System in the controller and:

1. Make sure that all speakers have WM:0 next to them, and none has WM:1.
2. If you wish to do a bit more digging then while in About My Sonos System get the IP address of one of your players (not the Boost), then type the following into a browser window:

http://x.x.x.x:1400/support/review, where x.x.x.x is the IP address

Then click Network Matrix. take a screenshot and post back here.

Or phone Sonos Support, who can access your system remotely if need be.