Answered

Play 1 in Garage / Workshop = WiFi issue

• 9 November 2018
  • 6 replies

Hey everyone,
Im considering buying my father in law a Play 1 for his garage for Christmas. He has a playbar, and a play 3 which work well.
But my concern is the garage wifi isnt brilliant! (1-2 bars of wifi signal)
The garage is about 15 metres from the router...
What is the most cost effective way to get the sonos working in the garage with good WiFi
Cheers
icon

Best answer by John B 9 November 2018, 15:59

The Boost is designed for this situation - to be the wired device when a speaker isn't needed near the router. It adds quite a bit to the cost though. The Boost's predecessor, the Bridge, can be picked up very cheaply on eBay, although the power cables sometimes become unreliable on older models.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

You might need to get him a Boost as well. It depends on whether any of his devices is, or could be, connected to his router. When a Sonos device is wired to the router, Sonos sets up its own mesh network. That means every speaker is a potential repeater, and the distance that then matters is that to the nearest speaker (if closer than the router). That's a bit of a simplification, but hopefully conveys the essentials.

It would be best if he has an Android device for control, as they can also connect to the 'SonosNet'.
Thanks John, currently he has them all running wireless... as the router is too far away. Good tip though!
The Boost is designed for this situation - to be the wired device when a speaker isn't needed near the router. It adds quite a bit to the cost though. The Boost's predecessor, the Bridge, can be picked up very cheaply on eBay, although the power cables sometimes become unreliable on older models.
John, I have a spare bridge at home. Can that be used as a booster then? Or can I plug that into a speaker and then create a sonos net?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The Boost or bridge needs to be wired to the router, not to another speaker.

I think it's worth nothing that if the garage doesn't have good wifi, getting Sonos to work on Sonosnet is only going to fix part of the problem. You'll probably want your phone or tablet to have a good wifi signal too, in order to control the speakers. As John, stated, an android phone can connect to Sonosnet, but that requires your father-in-law to switch wifi networks on his phone, not idea. Not sure what your budget is, but you may want to consider upgrading his wifi as well.

That said, I use Sonos in my garage, and typically am not fiddling with the music while I'm there. I'll see it to a station or playlist I want to listen to while I work.
Note: you would need to factory reset that Bridge before adding to another system.