Answered

Play 1 constantly skip podcast

Userlevel 1
Hi, I play a podcast from my iPad and in the middle of an episode Play 1 skips and starts on another episode! How to fix this issue?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 27 August 2018, 19:45

Hi everyone, there may be a couple things going on here, as I know there are several people in this thread.

As Jeff mentioned earlier:

We're looking into an issue where streaming from iOS devices cuts out when the device goes into auto-lock and there are other AirPlay devices on the network. We will update you when we have more to share on this issue.

This issue is specific to playing tracks or podcasts off of an iOS device using the "On this iPhone" or "On this iPad" feature within the Sonos app. We've found that playing off of the device can have audio cutouts, skips, or failure to play entirely, when the iOS device goes to sleep, or the lock screen comes on. With the issue we're investigating, it only comes up if you also have an AirPlay receiving capable (non-Sonos) device on the network, like an Apple TV. This also results in the Sonos iOS lock screen no longer working.

We're looking into it, but for now, the only fix would be to play the tracks or podcasts in another way, not off of that phone, or using AirPlay 2 instead if you have a Sonos One, Beam, Play:5 gen2, or Playbase. Alternatively, you could find the AirPlay capable device that's on your network and either isolate Sonos from it (by setting up a secondary network) or turn off AirPlay beaconing on that device.

If you're having cutouts on podcasts that aren't being played off of your iOS device or you're experiencing something else that isn't as described above, I'd suggest that you give us a call on our support line.

This is a pretty old thread, over a year now, and the original issue is unrelated to the iOS issue that we're working on. I'm going to close this thread for now, but we'll make sure to share in the main thread around the iOS issue when we have more information to share.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

77 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, I play a podcast from my iPad and in the middle of an episode Play 1 skips and starts on another episode! How to fix this issue?

Hi camgro,

I'd like to see some data from your system after this happens. Please reproduce the issue then submit a diagnostic report from your Sonos app. If you reply with the confirmation number I can take a look.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I have had this issue on and off during the last two months, it seems to come and go, but during the last week I can not listen to a full podcast. It seems like there is no consistent pattern with the length before it cuts off/ skips to the next episode. I use my sonos primarily for podcasts, so I am really frustrated by this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello, jb1856. Welcome to the community. Would you please follow the advice above, submitting a diagnostic of your system? Please respond with the corresponding confirmation. One of our agents will take a look. Thanks.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Thanks Edward. I have been changing the channel that sonos is using but no change. Happened twice this morning. Submitted diagnostics - 7388581. Thanks in advance!
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hi jb1856. Thank you for the diagnostic. There appears to be a message indicating a loss of connectivity to the mobile device where the podcast is stored. As a test, try leaving the mobile device closer to your wireless router. For additional troubleshooting steps, you can also check out our Audio playback stops or skips FAQ and let us know how that goes.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Thanks Tyler. I recently swapped routers to an orbi system hoping it would solve the wireless issues. Unfortunately, no matter how far the mobile device is from the router, I continue to have issues. Again, this is only on podcast playback, not satellite radio or music played via downloaded songs on iTunes. Since the podcasts must be downloaded to my phone to play on sonos, I'm surprised that an inturuption in wireless signal would cause it to skip, but I have no such issues with other playback modes. Two recent diagnoses for you to take a look at. Friday 7475980 (phone was on the second floor, router on the first - phone shows full signal), and today 7484117 ( phone was five feet away from router). Could this be a modem issue?
Userlevel 2
Badge
And again this morning. 7497071
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello there, jb1856.

In the most recent diagnostic, it seems that you are receiving the same errors from the phone, with SiriusXM. This points back to a problem with the network connectivity. Let's take a closer look at the network and how everything is connected. Would you mind giving a little rundown on the local network from the Modem out to any extenders or AP's?

Thanks in advance.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Thanks Keith -

I have a Time Warner Cable Modem that is nearly 3 years old, a sonos boost, and an Orbi AC300 whole house router. Let me know what other info would be helpful. Also, I want to point out that I don't have issues with Sirius, I'm having issue with podcasts that are downloaded onto my phone. Don't have issues with music downloaded on the phone, although I don't listen to music as much as I listen to podcasts or radio.

Thanks for your help.
Josh
Userlevel 2
Badge
It continues. 7558692 Phone is litterally 3 feet from wireless router. Please help me solve this or I am going to trash $1500 of really good speakers that don't work nearly as well as advertised.
I also have this exact same issue, podcasts will play for about 8 minutes then skip to the next podcast. I have two Play 1s and a sub. The issue has probably been occurring for about 6 months and has been happening between two different wireless router setups.
Userlevel 2
Badge
VM104 - wow that sounds like you do have the exact same issue. Can't believe we're the only ones. If you find anything that seems to help, please drop me a note. At this point, i'm going to try to get Spectrum (fka time warner) give me a new modem and see if that helps.
Skipping in any thing in your Sonos system is usually indicative of an issue within your own wifi environment, and not a reflection of your download speeds. Often, in cases like you're describing, it can be either wifi interference, or even duplicate IP addresses, causing the player (speaker) to drop connection, and then reconnect and request more data (and potentially get the next podcast, or start the current podcast at the beginning).

For wifi interference, here is the FAQ:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3650/~/reducing-wireless-interference

You may also want to look at the first topic under Answers others thought helpful.

For duplicate IP addresses, I'd recommend turning off the power to your router, and all of your Sonos speakers. The plug back in the router, and give it enough time to finish "booting" up. Say 2 or 3 minutes, at least. Then plug back in your Sonos speakers, one at a time, and wait for each one to boot up before moving to the next.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Airgetlam is on the right track here. I just took a look at your diagnostic jb1856 and it looks like there's a lot of wireless interference on your system. Can you try changing the wireless channel on your Sonos system? If you're able to check what channel your router is on, try to get the two channel as separated as possible.
Same problem. Podcast played from ipad cuts out after 5 or 10 minutes. Then have to restart and figure out where it was last. This makes Sonos totally useless for podcasts. The podcast I want is not on tunein.
Play1, Play3, Boost, TPlink AC2300 router.
Diagnostic 7784365.
Same problem here. Only happens with podcasts, not music. Been going on for months.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Well, with the new Sonos system update this is happening on a daily basis again. It is always around the 8 minute mark, so I have a VERY hard time believing that it is my wireless system. Diagnostics here 7990380. Until this is resolved for more than a couple months. I refuse to buy any more sonos products (and really want the sound bar, sub, and three more sonos ones for the garage and workshop). Come on sonos!!!
I have the same issues, submitted diagnostics etc. No wifi connectivity issues can be found but yet the issue persists and Sonos not really able to help me diagnose this issue. Also, i cannot for the life of me understand why if there is a loss of connectivity, Sonos would skip to the next Podcast, surely better to stop playing the current podcast and resume at the same place or at least restart the same podcast?
Userlevel 2
Badge
Totally agree with you!! And why is there no issue with music (streaming or iTunes downloaded to the phone??). Lastly, why would it occur after 8 minutes consistently?

As someone who spends 80% of his time using sonos via podcasts, I have never been pleased with the fact that I have to download the podcast onto my phone, but have gotten used to that. This skipping thing is infuriating.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
jb1856: Thanks for the most recent diagnostic report. There are a few things we want to address. First thing, your Sonos system should be in need of an update. Based on the diagnostic report, it seems you are currently running v8.0 and we most recently released v8.1 Secondly, we want to address the connectivity problem. The error message I am seeing regarding SiriusXM is that it cannot open the playlist and the playlist media is invalid. I understand you may not be seeing some of these errors with SiriusXM, but they appear in the error logs along with the error messages from Sonos saying it is losing connection to your iPhone.

Does this issue happen when you try to play these podcasts from another device? Did you happen to see any benefit from when Ryan asked you to change wireless channels?

cmunday: Thanks for reaching out. Did you happen to have the seven-digit confirmation number it gives at the end of the diagnostic submission process? If not, please submit another report and let us know the confirmation number. This will help us to understand your Sonos system and how it is working on your local network.
I have the same issue described in this thread. My Sonos systems works fine with Spotify, public radio, a line in from my TV tuner, basically anything else. For Podcasts it’s completely non-usable. I have TWO totally different Sonos systems and two different homes, in two different states, with totally different conditions (one is in the woods and it’s unlikely that there is any interference), and both setups do this. I find the responses from Sonos in this thread to be totally tone-deaf. Even if this is a problem with the WiFi setups for all of these different people, you guys need to figure out a better way to handle this type of playback, via some additional caching or something else. You can’t expect everyone to be a certified WiFi network engineer. The whole point of this system is that it’s easy to use. Figure this out, please.
I have the same issue, I can never listen to a complete podcast. So frustrating. My diagnostic number is 8021732 if anyone could shed any light on what is happening. I'm on Virgin Media 200Mbps broadband and all my other streaming uses such as sky sports on ipad, virgin tv on ipad and various equipment running Plex are perfect. These are not in use whilst listening - or in my case constantly trying to find where I got to on podcasts on my Sonos Play 1.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
JH94952: Hi there, welcome to the Community. Let's look at the issue in one location and perhaps this will help to solve the problem at the other. Have you had a chance to submit a diagnostic report when your podcast is skipping? Be sure to reply with the seven-digit confirmation number. Do you experience this with all podcasts or just a few? Do you, by chance, have the same network configuration or hardware at both of your locations?

IanTen: Hello and welcome to the Community! Thanks for posting and the diagnostic report. I was able to take a look and noticed a couple things to take a look at. Firstly, your speakers require an update to version 8.1. Let's get that update deployed to the speakers to make sure we are running the most recent software. Not having the most recent software can affect some features. Secondly, I noticed your Sonos system is set up in the Standard wireless configuration. Normally this isn't a challenge, but when access points or extenders are involved, things get a bit tricky for Sonos. According to the diagnostic, your PLAY:1's are connecting to a different device than the main router and even then, particularly the bedroom is having a difficult time receiving a signal from the network. Could you tell us a little more about the network you have? What is the make and model of your router? Thanks again in advance.
I’m having the same issue. Very random.
Submitted diagnostics- 8061419
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Thanks for the diagnostic, Mistereff. Could you tell me a little more about your local network? Based on the diagnostic, it seems you have at least one wireless extender. Do you have any other devices like this? Perhaps a switch or any other Access Points? What is the make and model of your router?