Question

Play: 1 Alexa Slow To Respond

• 14 August 2019
  • 1 reply

I have the following setup.

Two Play: 1's used as surrounds with Playbar and Play 5 in living room.

Two Other Play: 1's in Bedroom and Bathroom.

Apartment is 900 square feet so everything is close in proximity to the router.

I have restarted the router and unplugged and replugged all of the speakers but still having an issue where Alexa is slow to respond. Signed out of Alexa and back in. Removed voice services and re-added. Still happens on all speakers. 45sec - 1 min. Regardless of the question I'm asking. Something as simple as "What time is it?" takes over a min.

Example:

"Alexa, turn on the lights."

The play ones blink.

45 secs - 1 min later it will turn on and then make a boop beep sound.

Before they would almost instantly respond.

Diagnostics Number is: 1659008467

1 reply

That's actually a great indicator of a fairly high level of wifi interference. The devices are having a hard time cutting through the "noise" in order to get the command to where it needs to get, and then the acknowledgement is having an equally challenging time getting the appropriate response back to you.

It's important to note that there's a lot of wifi interference that comes from outside your area of control, depending on neighbors wifi systems, etc. There's a lot of great information in that FAQ for things internal and external.

The other thing I might recommend to you is to refresh the Sonos connection to the LAN. Go ahead and unplug all of your Sonos devices from power, then reboot your router. Once the router comes back up, plug back in your Sonos devices. Wait a couple of minutes, then do a test, and see if the response has returned to the normal "quick" response you're looking for.