Answered

Phantom Playlists

• 23 February 2021
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

I keep getting a message that I have to many playlist for the Sonos App.  I have deleted 200 playlist from my music server and still the message.  

I went through the Sonos Music Library imported playlist and found three that do not exist on my music server a Mac Mini

Library

Music

Purchased

How do I delete these from Sonos?

I called Sonos support and he said it was an Apple issue, then hung up.  I am not impressed with support.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 23 February 2021, 23:29

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

I’d try a few things, none of them in certain of. First, make sure that you use the ‘export library as .xml’ feature in iTunes. Apple’s recent changes have complicated the ability for Sonos to actually read your playlists themselves, but not the ability to read the music files. 

Second,  I’d run the ‘update library’ process in the Sonos app, on the offhand chance it hasn’t picked up all the changes you have made in your iTunes library. Its key to do this after the export above, so Sonos reads the updated file. 

Third, as an extended caution kind of thing, I’d do a full network refresh for all Sonos devices. Unplug all Sonos devices from power, then while they are unplugged, reboot your router. Once the router comes back up, plug back in the Sonos devices. 

By the way, that ‘purchased’ playlist may not be accessible to be deleted, I think it is generated by Apple, not by you, so you may not be able to get rid of it. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Thank you for the replies.  I am using Big Sur, where do I export the librarraryy xml?  

I have run update library and get the to many playlist message?

The export to .xml is in the iTunes app itself. The update Sonos library, which reads that .xml file, is in the Sonos app.

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

I was asking where the file should be placed?

Thanks

In the same folder that your music is located. That’s where the Sonos app is looking for it, based on where you told the Sonos system where your library is. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

ok

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

I might be nit picking, but forgive me.  I no longer use iTunes, now using the Music App which replaced iTunes.  Music app created a file in the music folder Music Library.musiclibrary. Is that the file sonos app is looking for?  Or should I export an xml file?