Question

PC Sonos stops playing when Windows pops up a notification.

• 19 October 2020
  • 5 replies

About a week ago, I think with the last update when ever windows pops up a notification the Sonos Windows app stops playing and I have to go into the PC app and right click the song and select play song, simply clicking play will not work even if the queue is full.

Now I have two rooms setup one room (PC) is with a play bar, 2x sonos1, and a sub which the bar is wired to the router and is the primary output for the PC. The other room is just one play bar. If both rooms are playing at the same time “party mode” only the one set for the PC stops play.

No problems if I am streaming audio from any other source on the PC. Similar problem with my Android phone. Music stops with notifications but I don’t exactly when it happens.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @juiblex9, Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community. Sorry to hear about this issue that you have with your Sonos system. I have some questions to further check on this issue. 

• Are you playing via line in from your Speakers to the PC?
  • Does it work fine before the update?
  • Are there any changes made in your settings or the setup?
  • Does it totally stops after the notification or it stops when there is notification and then goes back after the notification is heard?
  • Is it happening every time there are notification or randomly?
  • Is it happening on all Music Services, specific ones or a music library?

Answers to those questions will help us check what could be causing this issue. 

Let us know what you have in mind with the advice above.

The Sonos community is always here to help.

• Are you playing via line in from your Speakers to the PC?

No, the only wired connection is an ethernet to the bar, the other 3 devices in the room are on wifi.

• Does it work fine before the update?

As far as I can recall, its a new issue, so I think so.

• Are there any changes made in your settings or the setup?

Not that I am aware of. System self updates all the time but I made no changes since I received the system. I did have to install the new Sonos PC application because the old one stopped working. That’s the only manual update I did.

• Does it totally stops after the notification or it stops when there is notification and then goes back after the notification is heard?

Total stop. I have to go into the Sonos App and hit play and it starts from the beginning of the song it stopped on.

• Is it happening every time there are notification or randomly?

Every notification. Not random I can duplicate it.

• Is it happening on all Music Services, specific ones or a music library?

Only on Sonos app, all other audio applications work fine and mix the notification sound with what ever sound is playing.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Why not just Quit the app? Once something is playing it isn’t needed any more.

Quitting the app doesn’t fix the issue.

How does the app pop up a dialogue box when the app is closed?

Can you post a screen capture of one of these pop ups, please?