Answered

Parents Beware with Sonos

Badge
I use apple music among my family members since it has an ability to provide "clean" songs. Bought sonos to replace my bluetooth speaker at home. I was surprised to see that if you play an apple music song via sonos app then it disregards the "clean" content play back and it play with explicit content. Songs that are not played on public radios are excluded from apple music content but sonos completely ignores that. I am returning my sonos sound bar. Shame on Sonos. Anyway to achieve this?
icon

Best answer by Insertusernamehere 2 December 2016, 20:45

Anyone else tried of reading the Sonos cut and place reply? Can you guys try this one for lulz?

We will forward your feature request (to the garbage bin) and get to it never. Lol.

Please remember to be nice to the users with 5k+ posts as they help us do our jobs for free.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

105 replies

Yes, choose another service besides Apple Music. Screening content is a function of Apple, not Sonos. Sonos can and does filter out content for other services, it is Apple's screening implementation which is incompatible with 3rd party hardware. Sonos has stated they have been in contact with Apple about this feature, but there has been nothing new for a while.
Badge
Which other Services does this? None!!!
Badge
Thanks for the reply but I would like to know which other services are you referring to?
That isn't what @jgatie said, if you read his post, but I am sure he can argue his own case
Although I believe Pandora offers content filtering.
Badge
I am trying to understand here. My wife found this out after I replaced the bluetooth speaker yesterday. My daughter used to play the same song earlier and it had all the explicit words suppressed but yesterday all of us were surprised when same song was played through sonos and it was all explicit. This is not acceptable to me and I guess to many parents.
Badge
Thanks John B, let me try pandora. I moved from pandora after apple music was released.
Thanks for the reply but I would like to know which other services are you referring to?

Google Play Music is one. You have to change the setting on your account via the web interface, but after that Sonos will only see parentally safe tracks. Pandora is another one that recognizes parental filters set via the account settings.

And I don't appreciate your tone. I'm trying to help you here, and you are being nothing but confrontational. It's not my fault Sonos or Apple does anything. So reel it in a little, pal.
I am trying to understand here. My wife found this out after I replaced the bluetooth speaker yesterday. My daughter used to play the same song earlier and it had all the explicit words suppressed but yesterday all of us were surprised when same song was played through sonos and it was all explicit. This is not acceptable to me and I guess to many parents.
No I can understand that and would agree with you entirely. The problem is that the way Apple applies content filtering cannot currently be carried through to the Apple Music implementation on Sonos. Sonos is not deliberately ignoring or overriding it.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Sonos are speakers that play the content you want, (pandora, sound cloud, Google play and many more) up to you to chose the source of the music. I have young kids too and the have not played explicit music yet.

No I can understand that and would agree with you entirely. The problem is that the way Apple applies content filtering cannot currently be carried through to the Apple Music implementation on Sonos. Sonos is not deliberately ignoring or overriding it.

True. As stated by a Sonos rep:

Hi everyone, I'd just like to clarify a bit here. For services where explicit content isn't filtered, it isn't by any active decision not to include the feature, it's usually a lack of coding in the software integration being used. If tracks are only tagged at the service level, they may have trouble getting filtered at the device level the way Sonos connects.

We know that a lot of homes have kids and a number of other reasons to desire explicit content filters so we've made sure to pass on the interest for you to the development teams. While we don't discuss future development possibilities or timelines, we'll let you know if there are any details which can be shared on this request in the future.

While we do believe strongly in the sound quality of the artist's intent, we also know it can be important to keep inappropriate content from unintended audiences.
Badge
First of all let me apologize for being rude or felt rude to others. I have tried Google play music and it is not ready for this. Many songs goes through the cracks of google. I am going to try pandora and see how well it works.
IMHO, I was not rude but direct and reason being: I told my wife, kids and many of my friends that this is must have audio system and have even forced two of my friends to buy as well. I need to call them and explain this as well. Yesterday one of the song from the library that was clean earlier played through sonos and my 6 years old girl started asking question about explicit words and we all were shocked. But I was very surprised to notice this issue and was rushing to find a solution. I need to convince my wife and that is going to be very hard. After many months of having playlists from apple music, moving would be very tough. I will try for sure.

I am a software developer and I know how things get prioritized in companies but I just want to let sonos know that this is a very serious issue. Just look at the number of subscription of apple music today.
Badge
CapnLes: How old are they?
Once again, it is not Sonos' doing. It is Apple's. You should be complaining to Apple.
Badge
I will let you guys know in couple of days whether pandora worked or not. If not, it is going back. Thanks for all the help. But I will definitely post this to facebook and twitter account so that others are informed.
Badge
Explain me, how this is apple's problem. Playing the same song to my bluetooth speaker works fine. I am a developer too so please dont just pass this as an apple issue. Atleast this is how it looks and people should be aware of this big restriction for future owners.
Explain me, how this is apple's problem. Playing the same song to my bluetooth speaker works fine. I am a developer too so please dont just pass this as an apple issue. Atleast this is how it looks and people should be aware of this big restriction for future owners.

Well, you really don't need me to explain, when you have the word of a Sonos rep quoted in my post above. As a software engineer, you can read between the lines of the "we aren't going to speak ill of a partner company" statement and figure out what is being said. Also, if Sonos is at fault, why would they do it for Google, Pandora etc., and not for Apple? It makes absolutely no sense. As I said, reel yourself in a little bit.

And if you learn one thing while you are here it is this: Sonos is NOT a Bluetooth speaker. If what you are looking for is a Bluetooth speaker, you bought the wrong product.
Badge
Jgatie, since you are too protective of sonos: Let me explain.

First of all this is a fantastic solution and product. I have been struggling pairing and unpairing my bluetooth speakers. It solves many of my issues. I bought a playbar and have been trying to place order for subwoofer too that is 1300$. Apart from that trying to add 2 play1 for the rear surround speakers. I even trying to replace bluetooth speakers in my bedrooms too!! So in total it would be around 2400$. But all this in vain if this doesnt work. It is like designing a phone that can do everything like, email, browsing.....etc but cant have voice mail. It will be harder to explain to consumers whose problem is this? Look at the number of subscriptions to the apple music. In my daughters school most of them have apple music.
Badge
Thank you for explaining to me that it is not a bluetooth speaker.

Speaker that is designed to play song wirelessly. What is that called before sonos or what is freely available in market to play songs wirelessly? Help me here.
mk1234

Try a different perspective. You're blaming the TV maker because the TV is showing explicit content. The fact is, Sonos just is a message delivery service. They pass whatever the third part vendor gives them. There's other vendors who have figured out how to appropriately filter out the content fed through the Sonos system, but Apple has chosen not to.

At the end of the day, whether we like it or not, it's not a Sonos call as to what parts of the API that is provided is used. It's up to the vendor to make that decision. In this case, it's Apple, although you could apply that same logic to a lot of issues that get raised here on these boards. Sonos really doesn't have much control. They just provide the API for other people to hook in to, they don't write what comes in.

I hope this makes sense.
Thank you for explaining to me that it is not a bluetooth speaker.

Speaker that is designed to play song wirelessly. What is that called before sonos or what is freely available in market to play songs wirelessly? Help me here.

Do you really want to go there? Ok, here we go:

Sonos is multi-room capable, Bluetooth is not.

Sonos can play multiple sources at once, controlled from multiple devices, utilizing multiple accounts. Bluetooth plays one stream, from one device, from a single account.

Sonos plays via WiFi, with the option of setting up a dedicated mesh network. Bluetooth plays via Bluetooth, which is less reliable and doesn't have the range.

Sonos plays directly from the source to the speakers, the controller app is just that, a controller. Bluetooth is just an extension of the phone audio, so the bandwidth is greater (has to go router to phone to router to speaker instead of router to speaker), phone sounds are repeated over Bluetooth, and the music shuts off if the phone leaves or is interrupted somehow.

Sonos is able to search, play, create playlists, etc. from many different services in a single app, including your own library. Bluetooth is limited to a single app at a time.

Need more?
Badge
Wow. This is your full time job it seems. You didnt answer what is sonos replacing in the market? Anyway, you are not getting my points. This would be my last response then.

No matter what you write, for consumers this seems like a sonos issue and if you work for them then please let them know.

Atleast ask them to add a popup when adding apple library that content played via apple music is not clean.
Jgatie, since you are too protective of sonos: Let me explain.

First of all this is a fantastic solution and product. I have been struggling pairing and unpairing my bluetooth speakers. It solves many of my issues. I bought a playbar and have been trying to place order for subwoofer too that is 1300$. Apart from that trying to add 2 play1 for the rear surround speakers. I even trying to replace bluetooth speakers in my bedrooms too!! So in total it would be around 2400$. But all this in vain if this doesnt work. It is like designing a phone that can do everything like, email, browsing.....etc but cant have voice mail. It will be harder to explain to consumers whose problem is this? Look at the number of subscriptions to the apple music. In my daughters school most of them have apple music.

I'm not arguing with you that parental controls are a legitimate concern for you and many other parents. They 100% are. I'm just saying you should direct your wrath at 1) The actual company to blame and 2) Where it will actually do some good. Sonos has provided methods of filtering content via their API which other services are using just fine. Apple's current schema for filtering content is incompatible with Sonos. It is Apple's responsibility to integrate with the Sonos API, and Apple has not developed their end to take advantage of this API. So either Apple should revamp their filtering method so as to stop sending explicit content to Sonos, or they should implement Sonos method. Either way, the ball is in Apple's court.
Badge
Supposed to be my last response but I repeat:

Wow. This is your full time job it seems. You didnt answer what is sonos replacing in the market? Anyway, you are not getting my points. This would be my last response then.

No matter what you write, for consumers this seems like a sonos issue and if you work for them then please let them know.

Atleast ask them to add a popup when adding apple library that content played via apple music is not clean.
Badge
mk1234

Try a different perspective. You're blaming the TV maker because the TV is showing explicit content. The fact is, Sonos just is a message delivery service. They pass whatever the third part vendor gives them. There's other vendors who have figured out how to appropriately filter out the content fed through the Sonos system, but Apple has chosen not to.

At the end of the day, whether we like it or not, it's not a Sonos call as to what parts of the API that is provided is used. It's up to the vendor to make that decision. In this case, it's Apple, although you could apply that same logic to a lot of issues that get raised here on these boards. Sonos really doesn't have much control. They just provide the API for other people to hook in to, they don't write what comes in.

I hope this makes sense.

I fully understand this and thanks for explaining. Try to see this from other perspective: TV1 can play clean content but TV2 that can do 10 more things apart from playing content cant play clean content. Now you decide whose problem it looks like to the end user. TV1s or TV2 or content provider?