Pandora quits playing mid-song after recent update to ver 8.2

• 22 November 2017
  • 14 replies

I recently updated the Sonos software on a Mac and iPhone (version 8.2, build 39247040c), and after playing some variable number of Songs on a Pandora station (perhaps 3 to 8 in a row) it stops playing, usually mid-song. After restarting the Pandora station, it picks up at the beginning of the song that was playing when it stopped. This did not happen prior to the most recent update to version 8.2. Submitted diagnostic 8119729. Very frustrating--please help!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
probably a network issue. I would start by assigning static IP addresses to all your sonos units in router. Turn off all sonos units and reboot router.
Jms1999 did this help? We have the same issue and I’ve tried rebooting and updating everything. Happens on Sirius xm too.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I have the same problem, JMS1999. It started with the 8.2 update.

In my case pressing the play button causes it to restart with the song just previous to the song it stopped on.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
As mentioned solution above. It may have started after the update because hardware rebooted and got bad ip addresses from router. The new software is not the actual cause.
It is the 8.2 update. I have the same problem, and after Sonos got on my CPU remotely for almost an hour, they can't fix the problem. All I get from Sonos is "We're working on it."
Userlevel 2
Badge
Wow. I don't know who decides what the "best answer" is on here, but "network issue" does not seem to be the best answer.

I have assigned reserved IP addresses, rebooted everything over and over again, used my original bridge-based system and also tried direct WiFi connections (as advised by Sonos support), nothing has improved.

Today I upgraded my Cisco (Linksys) wireless router to something a bit more modern (Linksys AC2200), and, while 4K video sure streams good and I have excellent signal at both ends of my house, Pandora still stops playing soon after starting a new song, after a random number of songs successfully.

Other streaming services like TuneIn do not exhibit any problem on my Sonos system.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
How are you initiating pandora. From the pandora app or are you using Pandora section within the Sonos app
Userlevel 2
Badge
I have initiated Pandora from the Sonos apps on iOS, Android and Windows and from the iOS Pandora app with the same results—the Pandora stream will not keep playing. Since it always stops after starting a new song (which Sonos support says is related to failure to reauthorize my Pandora account, which it must be doing with each new song), my guess would be a problem with the Pandora control protocol introduced with the 8.2 update.

I prefer to use a single interface to my Sonos system, that being the Sonos app.
Badge
Sonos went from being an awesome system to just another buggy app after the new update!! The Sonos system is incredibly expensive and should function without stopping every 10 minutes. -sound bar, sub, two 1's, and a 5. Very frustrated!
Badge
probably a network issue. I would start by assigning static IP addresses to all your sonos units in router. Turn off all sonos units and reboot router. Great, I can't wait for more buggy updates so I can spend my time off work trying to get Sonos to function properly. The Sonos worked seamlessly for a year until the recent update - SMH!
Badge
I recently updated the Sonos software on a Mac and iPhone (version 8.2, build 39247040c), and after playing some variable number of Songs on a Pandora station (perhaps 3 to 8 in a row) it stops playing, usually mid-song. After restarting the Pandora station, it picks up at the beginning of the song that was playing when it stopped. This did not happen prior to the most recent update to version 8.2. Submitted diagnostic 8119729. Very frustrating--please help!After much frustration for me as well, I have found a workaround –use a different streaming service! Amazon Music & Apple Music are working just fine –It's NOT a network issue!
Badge
Check https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/pandora-stops-playing-on-sonos-randomly-6796005
After being frustrated by this issue for months, I conclude that the issue is with Pandora. Other services play fine on Sonos, and Pandora exhibits the same problems on other devices--e.g the Pandora app on my Vizio TV. The only way Pandora seems to work without problems anymore is on the iPhone Pandora app through headphones.
Badge
Maybe someone from Sonos is monitoring and can comment but this is also happening to me. It seems to stop when changing song and, it is my impression, that it happens most often when Pandora inserts an advertisement. I'm suspicious that there is a underlying change in audio format that causes Sonos, for whatever reason, to stop the stream. Of course, I'm usually having the music on as background so often don't notice that it stopped. Always easily restarted with the Sonos App or Alexa. I'm suspicious of the format change as I notice on a simple "restart" it has (at least the last few times I noticed) started by playing a complete commercial that has been queued in the stream.